Author Topic: TEDDY WINS!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3173 times)

Offline loshjott

Re: TEDDY WINS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #75: October 04, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
They got two more bases on Moore's RBI double before Desmond popped out.  8 total bases before the first out was made.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: October 04, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
Holy crap. I watched the game and didn't even notice they had posted that "stat". Teddy has a 1 WAR. 

One WAR?  Don't you need a more context-specific stat?  I mean, counting the Spanish-American one the same as WWII does not seem right when giving WAR credit.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #77: October 04, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
I'd love to see Clint get that public stoning.

I am holding out for a Clint, SBF, Kasten, and Dibble cage match. How could that go wrong?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #78: October 04, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
He's the professional cheerleader that roams the front rows near the dugouts and pumps the crowd up.  He's far less annoying than Clint IMO.  I'd love to see Clint get that public stoning.

i can't bash Terrance, the guy works his butt off during the home games.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #79: October 05, 2012, 12:00:52 AM »
If I had to brawl Philly fans, my first three calls would be to Marquis, Clint, and Terrance.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #80: October 05, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
I am holding out for a Clint, SBF, Kasten, and Dibble cage match. How could that go wrong?

...along with Peter Angelos' love-slaves the Akra sisters.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #81: October 12, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
i know this was posted elsewhere, but it belongs here.

http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/10/from-teddys-mouth-to-nats-ears.html#more

In a disconsolate clubhouse following Game 3 of the National League Division Series, Mark DeRosa suggested he might have a few words to say to his Nationals teammates before they took the field the following night with elimination staring them in the face.

So Thursday afternoon, DeRosa turned on the karaoke machine that has sat in his locker most of the season, grabbed the microphone and began reading an inspirational speech he's been reading to himself before big games since he played at the University of Pennsylvania.

Among the salient passages: "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood."

When he finished the famous speech -- with perhaps a couple of unprintable words sprinkled in for maximum effect -- DeRosa paused and uttered the most important line of all.

"You know who spoke these words?" the veteran utilityman said. "Teddy Effin Roosevelt."

Yes, the speech that helped save the Nationals' season was "The Man in the Arena" by none other than the Rough Rider, The Bull Moose, the Trust Buster, the 26th President of the United States and the man whose caricature's futility in the nightly mascot race at Nationals Park for nearly seven years came to embody this franchise's woeful existence. At least, until he finally won the fourth-inning race on the season's final day and has proceeded to win it twice more in the postseason.

"I mean, it's fitting," DeRosa said. "It's perfect."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #82: October 12, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
[FYI.]

The poorest way to face life is to face it with a sneer. There are many men who feel a kind of twister pride in cynicism; there are many who confine themselves to criticism of the way others do what they themselves dare not even attempt. There is no more unhealthy being, no man less worthy of respect, than he who either really holds, or feigns to hold, an attitude of sneering disbelief toward all that is great and lofty, whether in achievement or in that noble effort which, even if it fails, comes to second achievement. A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life's realities - all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. They mark the men unfit to bear their part painfully in the stern strife of living, who seek, in the affection of contempt for the achievements of others, to hide from others and from themselves in their own weakness. The rôle is easy; there is none easier, save only the rôle of the man who sneers alike at both criticism and performance.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #83: October 12, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
Awesome, thanks for all the words!

Tonight, Jayson Werth should re-enact his famous barring of all the racing President's but this time, Teddy bulls through to win.

Go Nats!

Offline CapsnNats

« Reply #84: October 12, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
That has long been one of my favorite speeches since I first heard it in HS.

Also worth mentioning:
http://www.history.com/news/shot-in-the-chest-100-years-ago-teddy-roosevelt-kept-on-talking

TR was a badass.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #85: October 12, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
DeRosa's speech will be played on 980 in 30 minutes.