Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition  (Read 40508 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition
« Reply #50: February 24, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
Sure, but I can't see this venture panning out unless someone has a lot of money to waste.

I was thinking it is an odd location (and the dollars needed).    Maybe they're hoping folks like us will pass by after/before a Nat's game to take a peek.     Plus, Ft. McNair is right there.   They had to do some sort of feasibility study ...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #51: February 24, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »
I haven't heard anything, but I would be surprised if the US Cycling Federation didn't chip in something.  The only velodrome in the mid atlantic that I know if is in Trexlertown, PA.

I was thinking it is an odd location (and the dollars needed).    Maybe they're hoping folks like us will pass by after/before a Nat's game to take a peek.     Plus, Ft. McNair is right there.   They had to do some sort of feasibility study ...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #52: February 24, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
I'd be interested in racing there if they'd let me in with my Cervelo and Speedo.

• babble on
« Reply #53: February 24, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »
Track racing is a great spectator sport.  Up at Trex people crowd into the place on weekend nights and watch the madness.  I'm pretty sure they allow people to BYOB.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #54: February 24, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »
What's a good value bike for the 6'1" 375lb lower middle class fatty MDS? I used to love riding a bike when I was a kid and would ride all day, but that was long ago. I'd like something that won't break the bank, but will do well on hilly terrain and allow for some very mild off road shenanigans. My neighborhood is pretty much a big loop that seems to go up hill regardless of which direction you go.

Keep in mind with two car payments, a rather big mortgage, a 3 year old and the desire to be able to occasionally shoot my .45, cost is an issue :lol:

• babble on
« Reply #55: February 24, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »
Is there a Performance Bicycles up your way?  They have a lot of value hybrid bikes.  They might still be selling off last year's models.

• babble on
« Reply #56: February 24, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
I just checked and the nearest locations appear to be Baltimore and Columbia.  I'm a bit surprised they don't have one in Frederick.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #57: February 24, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »
Agree with Ali. you can go to performancebike.com and see what they have. Once you've identified a few bicycles, look on Craiglist. Used bikes go for nothing.

What's a good value bike for the 6'1" 375lb lower middle class fatty MDS? I used to love riding a bike when I was a kid and would ride all day, but that was long ago. I'd like something that won't break the bank, but will do well on hilly terrain and allow for some very mild off road shenanigans. My neighborhood is pretty much a big loop that seems to go up hill regardless of which direction you go.

Keep in mind with two car payments, a rather big mortgage, a 3 year old and the desire to be able to occasionally shoot my .45, cost is an issue :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #58: February 24, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
There's one right off Muddy Branch in Rockville/Gaithersburg.
Agree with Ali. you can go to performancebike.com and see what they have. Once you've identified a few bicycles, look on Craiglist. Used bikes go for nothing.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #59: February 24, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
Terp - I ride a stock 2003(?) Trek 4300 that you should be able to find used on eBay or Craigslist for around $200 (I think new they're around $400).  The only major change you'll need to make to any used bike you get is to replace the left crank arm (~$20) and make sure the wheels are trued (~$20 at a local bike shop).  There are a number of similar bikes made by GT, Fuji, Specialized, and Cannondale but what you'd really want to get is something that's heavy steel. 

I put my bike through a lot of stress and strain (fast, heavy riding on less than smooth roads) and haven't had any issues yet but I ride a low-end converted mountain bike.  I'd steer clear of a Discount Store bike (i.e. Walmart, Target) due to your size, but they'd be fine for your kid; used is definitely the way to go for you though.  If you want to go the used route let me know and I can send you some bikes to check out.  By the way, check your PM inbox.  :)

• babble on
« Reply #60: February 24, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
DC is a good town for buying used bikes with all of the people coming and going (many of whom are going overseas).  There are the usual hot bikes on CL, but those are probably mostly towards the high end of the market.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #61: February 24, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
DC is a good town for buying used bikes with all of the people coming and going (many of whom are going overseas).  There are the usual hot bikes on CL, but those are probably mostly towards the high end of the market

Sadly no Surlys ever make the cut.  Plenty of carbon fibre piss that weekend warriors can't hack it with. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #62: February 24, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
By the way, my new bike bag:

Included the MacBook Pro in the shot just for Chief.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #63: February 24, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »
Terp - I ride a stock 2003(?) Trek 4300 that you should be able to find used on eBay or Craigslist for around $200 (I think new they're around $400).  The only major change you'll need to make to any used bike you get is to replace the left crank arm (~$20) and make sure the wheels are trued (~$20 at a local bike shop).  There are a number of similar bikes made by GT, Fuji, Specialized, and Cannondale but what you'd really want to get is something that's heavy steel. 

I put my bike through a lot of stress and strain (fast, heavy riding on less than smooth roads) and haven't had any issues yet but I ride a low-end converted mountain bike.  I'd steer clear of a Discount Store bike (i.e. Walmart, Target) due to your size, but they'd be fine for your kid; used is definitely the way to go for you though.  If you want to go the used route let me know and I can send you some bikes to check out.  By the way, check your PM inbox.  :)

Got the PM man! Yeah, we have one bike shop around here and I honestly haven't been in there since I was a teenager. I know they used to carry Schwinn back in the day, before they became a second rate WalMart brand. I'll have to check out Craigslist and ebay. I should be down about 75lbs by fall if all goes well.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #65: February 24, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »

Got the PM man! Yeah, we have one bike shop around here and I honestly haven't been in there since I was a teenager. I know they used to carry Schwinn back in the day, before they became a second rate WalMart brand. I'll have to check out Craigslist and ebay. I should be down about 75lbs by fall if all goes well.

Cycling will literally melt the weight off of you.  I'm not even bullcrapting, once you build your cardiovascular endurance and legs up you'll want to ride hours a day.  Combine that with a balanced eating regime and increased water intake and you'll see the weight drop off in no time.

Something like these would probably do the trick for you until you got "the itch" and wanted to do a Century ride:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/2863767423.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/2868597905.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/2858010712.html

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #66: February 24, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
http://westmd.craigslist.org/bik/2858315473.html

That's probably perfect.  Just make sure you test ride them to make sure the frame is the right size.  I'm pretty tall but have a short inseam (29") so it takes me a while to find a bike that "fits". 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #67: February 24, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
That's probably perfect.  Just make sure you test ride them to make sure the frame is the right size.  I'm pretty tall but have a short inseam (29") so it takes me a while to find a bike that "fits". 

Thanks man. I'll have to check with the wife and see what we can do. We have a treadmill in the rec room plus I have a weight cage/cable system in the garage, but it's really difficult to get motivated to work out alone. Plus a 3 year old can get in the way at times :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #68: February 24, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
Schwinn makes some not terrible bikes. The frames may not be the highest quality - and they may be heavier - but it's really all in the components.

• babble on
« Reply #69: February 24, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
The crap bikes are, well, crap, but the price of a decent "budget" bike with a 7005 alum frame and good components (Shimano Tiagra or better) has dropped by about 50-60% over the past 10 years or so.  Almost all frames are now made in Asia aside from the top-shelf racers.  My 10 year old DeBernardi is probably the last Italian-made frame I'll ever have.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #70: February 24, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
My 40 year old Bob Jackson is still my favorite frame. :)
The crap bikes are, well, crap, but the price of a decent "budget" bike with a 7005 alum frame and good components (Shimano Tiagra or better) has dropped by about 50-60% over the past 10 years or so.  Almost all frames are now made in Asia aside from the top-shelf racers.  My 10 year old DeBernardi is probably the last Italian-made frame I'll ever have.

• babble on
« Reply #71: February 24, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
Those are ridiculously cool.  Reynolds 531 steel tubes, I assume?  And of course a copper riveted Brooks hide saddle...

My 40 year old Bob Jackson is still my favorite frame. :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #72: February 24, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
Bought it as a frame, so I didn't get the Brooks saddle. It's a relic, but it's fun. It's only very few old guys that look the emblem and say hey... isn't that a Bob Jackson?

Those are ridiculously cool.  Reynolds 531 steel tubes, I assume?  And of course a copper riveted Brooks hide saddle...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #73: February 24, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
I want this:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #74: February 24, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
Is a Brooks saddle really werth it?  I'm really tempted to get one for my next bike - Surly CrossCheck.