Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 168865 times)

Offline BigMeech

Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #125: October 14, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
Sign every good player on the market.  Have GOON SQUAD be full of all stars who signed on to win a championship.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #126: October 14, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
Since Edwin Jackson had his playoff meltdown, I don't think he is back. You should make a decision based on a full season, but let's be honest that right or wrong the postseason matters disproportionately. I think E-Jax is only back if it's on the cheap.

If we don't pursue a top of the line pitcher and go just for another #5, I say Lannan.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #127: October 14, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
I don't think E-Jax was ever anything more than a stopgap, so I'm not expecting him to be back regardless.  I'm sure Rizzo has had his eye on someone all along.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #128: October 14, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
no chance E-jax comes back on a 1 year deal.  I know last year he was looking for a 3 year deal but the only one he was offered was by the pirates and unsurprisingly he declined.  That made me feel good that he would rather sign a 1 year deal with the nats than sign a 3 year with more money on another team.  But yeah, even if he wanted to resign on a 1 year deal, i'm not so sure I would want him.  we can do better.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #129: October 14, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »
I don't think E-Jax was ever anything more than a stopgap, so I'm not expecting him to be back regardless.  I'm sure Rizzo has had his eye on someone all along.

David price.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #130: October 14, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
Go after someone elite and let ROSS become the greatest #5 starter in the history of life.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #131: October 14, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
Go after someone elite and let ROSS become the greatest #5 starter in the history of life.
I believe in Detwiler from the start!!!!!!!!!!!

I even had some throw downs with others on this forum defending him.

Being there from Game 4 was amazing. I think Ross is a legit #2 or #3 for a winning team. Having him as an end of the rotation is such a luxury.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #132: October 14, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
David price.

If you feel like trading away the rest of the farm system.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #133: October 14, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »

Being there from Game 4 was amazing. I think Ross is a legit #2 or #3 for a winning team. Having him as an end of the rotation is such a luxury.

Yeah, I hope ROSS' great year this year wasn't just an arbitration.  If this season was a sign of things to come then we'll be in great shape.

All that matters now.

Online Slateman

« Reply #134: October 14, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »
I'd rather have multiple ones along with several division pennants

I find it strange that all of you are so quick to overreact. This team had the best record in baseball last year. Next season we get a full season of Strasburg and Harper. On top of that, everyone will be more experienced. I don't know if you've noticed, but all 4 of the teams in the playoffs have playoff experience. Three  have a WS in the last five years and they're back in the hunt for more.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #135: October 14, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
Get Greinke then.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #136: October 14, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
I'd rather have multiple ones along with several division pennants

I find it strange that all of you are so quick to overreact.
This team had the best record in baseball last year. Next season we get a full season of Strasburg and Harper. On top of that, everyone will be more experienced. I don't know if you've noticed, but all 4 of the teams in the playoffs have playoff experience. Three  have a WS in the last five years and they're back in the hunt for more.

See how much less of a dick you come across with a few minor edits? :shrug:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #137: October 14, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »

ok.  I'd rather not trade rendon, but if that's what it takes then it's worth it.

Online Slateman

« Reply #138: October 14, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »
ok.  I'd rather not trade rendon, but if that's what it takes then it's worth it.

Yes, because clearly, we had no use at all for our minor league talent this season.

You build a farm system up before trading it all away. We haven't built it up from the last trade.

Online Slateman

« Reply #139: October 14, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
See how much less of a dick you come across with a few minor edits? :shrug:

Don't care. Everyone has gone full panic monkey ITT. Willing to sell everything for one championship. I'd much rather have a dynasty like the Yankees or Braves of the 90s.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #140: October 14, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
The Braves weren't a real dynasty.  An NL East dynasty sure, but not a real dynasty.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #141: October 14, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »

I have to admit that I was not a fan of Ross at the beginning. But he surprised me. I didn't like his motion (I still don't) and his unwillingness to attack the zone. But he changed almost overnight and picked up a few MPH to boot. He went from throwing from low '90s to mid 90s.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #142: October 14, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
I guess throwing 90% fastballs was all he needed to do.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #143: October 14, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
I think we could sign one starter and one reliever and be in good shape.  One starter will probably be available the same way EJax was available last winter and picked up on a relatively cheap deal.  Maybe Jackson himself, maybe Anibal Sanchez, Dempster, Haren, Lohse, or Marcum are some big names that may be out there.  Lohse or Marcum could be solid pickups and could realistically be had on one year deals if they are looking for too much money.   

I'd also sign Madsen or Valverde or Brandon League or someone who closed last year but won't be able to find a closer job this winter.  Storen is still the closer for 2013.

I'm also intrigued by having LaRoche back at 1B and Tyler Moore in LF but I think the team would benefit more by having a very good defensive CF that can hit a little bit plus either LaRoche or Moore at 1B.  Either way, I think Morse should be traded for depth somewhere - hopefully another good bullpen arm.

Also - extend JZ.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #144: October 14, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »
I have to admit that I was not a fan of Ross at the beginning. But he surprised me. I didn't like his motion (I still don't) and his unwillingness to attack the zone. But he changed almost overnight and picked up a few MPH to boot. He went from throwing from low '90s to mid 90s.

Neither was I a believer in Ross.  He was great this year.  I also thought, when we traded for him, Gio was too wild to be as effective as he was.  His wildness hurt against the very good hitting Cards, but he was awesome over the course of the season.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #145: October 14, 2012, 10:40:48 PM »
I think they intend to try Christian Garcia as starter, though, they probably won't "count" on that and will sign a FA. Don't see them spending $100 million on Grienke (and I hope they don't) but in the absence of signing EJax, I think they sign an Ejax type pitcher.

Nats will have Strasburg all year, a veteran Gio, a 1 year older and matured, stretched out JZim, a 1 year older and healthier and figured it out, Detwiler - and then a FA/or Ejax redux

Sounds pretty good to me

Online Slateman

« Reply #146: October 14, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
The Braves weren't a real dynasty.  An NL East dynasty sure, but not a real dynasty.

Lol okay. I hope we have a not real dynasty like them. Would be nice to have a world series shot every year for a decade.

I think we could sign one starter and one reliever and be in good shape.  One starter will probably be available the same way EJax was available last winter and picked up on a relatively cheap deal.  Maybe Jackson himself, maybe Anibal Sanchez, Dempster, Haren, Lohse, or Marcum are some big names that may be out there.  Lohse or Marcum could be solid pickups and could realistically be had on one year deals if they are looking for too much money.   

I'd also sign Madsen or Valverde or Brandon League or someone who closed last year but won't be able to find a closer job this winter.  Storen is still the closer for 2013.

I'm also intrigued by having LaRoche back at 1B and Tyler Moore in LF but I think the team would benefit more by having a very good defensive CF that can hit a little bit plus either LaRoche or Moore at 1B.  Either way, I think Morse should be traded for depth somewhere - hopefully another good bullpen arm.

Also - extend JZ.

Of all the pitchers you mentioned, Madson is the only one who might sign a one year deal. And he will get a shot with a team that needs a closer instead of as a 7th inning guy

Online Slateman

« Reply #147: October 14, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
I think they intend to try Christian Garcia as starter, though, they probably won't "count" on that and will sign a FA. Don't see them spending $100 million on Grienke (and I hope they don't) but in the absence of signing EJax, I think they sign an Ejax type pitcher.

Nats will have Strasburg all year, a veteran Gio, a 1 year older and matured, stretched out JZim, a 1 year older and healthier and figured it out, Detwiler - and then a FA/or Ejax redux

Sounds pretty good to me

Who started this Garcia as a starter stuff? Holy crap they guy has had two elbow surgeries. Leave him as a reliever.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #148: October 14, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
Also - extend JZ.

i think we can all agree on this.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #149: October 14, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
Who started this Garcia as a starter stuff? Holy crap they guy has had two elbow surgeries. Leave him as a reliever.

Radio guys were saying that Nats management love his stuff and want to convert him to a starter  - I've heard it a few times from a few different places

I would think being a starter is less wear and tear than a bullpen guy? Pitching every 5 days under a strict regimen has to be better for the arm than all the frenetic, every day up and down, warm up, cool down, warm up, cool down of the pen ?