Author Topic: Could Strasburg go from the draft directly to the rotation?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Techincally.  But it's only because they let the winner from every conference into the tourney.  You really think the MEAC winner is one of the best 25% in the country?

I went to a patriot league school. My team (colgate) got to the confrence final in mens BB last year before getting emabrrased. If we had won, we would not be in the top 25%. There are alot of confrences with one or two decent teams - if those teams win their confrence tourney, then yes the winner from that conference is one of the top 25%, if there are upsets in the conference and someone else wins (which can happen - tournaments invite random outcomes), they usually are well outside the top 25%.

Offline JMUalumni

Basically, forgetting all the big dance stuff I have confused the argument with, I believe that people confuse BC with a bad team just because they haven't heard of it.

Offline HalfSmokes

Yeah, but I would admit that some sneak in that aren't.  BC is not one of these that snuck in.  But my whole point with this was that Strasburg didn't face some bottom of the barrel team.  You are right, I should have specified REGIONAL CWS.

are they as good as kids playing short A ball? if not he should be dominating, especially if you're one of the people who for some reason want him in the rotation against major leaguers this year

Offline DPMOmaha

Basically, forgetting all the big dance stuff I have confused the argument with, I believe that people confuse BC with a bad team just because they haven't heard of it.
I think, for what it was, a first outing of the year, it was a great performance.  hopefully he'll get a little more efficient as the year goes on and be able to get deeper into games.  But it's not like he beat Texas or LSU or Cal-St. Fullerton.  I'm eager to see what he can do against a team like that. 

Offline JMUalumni

I think, for what it was, a first outing of the year, it was a great performance.  hopefully he'll get a little more efficient as the year goes on and be able to get deeper into games.  But it's not like he beat Texas or LSU or Cal-St. Fullerton.  I'm eager to see what he can do against a team like that. 

I can easily agree with this.  Texas/LSU/CSF are the UNCs and Dukes of CBSB and I am eager to see how he handles that level.  I believe that he was just being held by inning count for this first game.  While his pitch count was high for the innings pitched, it actually was a good indicator of how hard he is to hit.  His pitch count was high mainly because his balls were getting fouled off so much.  And for the record, I am not one of the ones who would like to see him the rotation this year.  Short september bullpen stint... sure.   Rotation... no way.

are they as good as kids playing short A ball? if not he should be dominating, especially if you're one of the people who for some reason want him in the rotation against major leaguers this year

IMO, they are not as good as Short A.

Offline DPMOmaha

I can easily agree with this.  Texas/LSU/CSF are the UNCs and Dukes of CBSB and I am eager to see how he handles that level.  I believe that he was just being held by inning count for this first game.  While his pitch count was high for the innings pitched, it actually was a good indicator of how hard he is to hit.  His pitch count was high mainly because his balls were getting fouled off so much.  And for the record, I am not one of the ones who would like to see him the rotation this year.  Short september bullpen stint... sure.   Rotation... no way.
Common ground has been found!

Offline JMUalumni

Common ground has been found!

Haha, a little effort and it can be done!  BTW, I believe you have mentioned it before, but what college team do you follow DPM?

Offline DPMOmaha

Nebraska.  I actually work at the University, sadly, not in the athletic department.

Used to work on the ground crew at Rosenblatt Stadium (including during the CWS) for about 5 summers a while back, FWIW.

Offline JMUalumni

Nebraska.  I actually work at the University, sadly, not in the athletic department.

Used to work on the ground crew at Rosenblatt Stadium (including during the CWS) for about 5 summers a while back, FWIW.

Wow, that sounds amazing.  You must have got to suck in some good history there.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty awesome.  Didn't really pay that well, but the fringe benefits were pretty stellar.

Offline sportsfan882

QFT

Offline sportsfan882

Strasburg is scheduled to pitch home VS Nevada on Thursday (Is that confirmed?).

Nevada split a pair of games against No.10 Ranked Missouri this past weekend. In their first game against the Mizzou Tigers, Nevada lost 12-1.

Missouri Starter and likely Top 10 Pick Kyle Gibson picked up the victory (6 IP 3 H 1 R 0 ER 3 BB 6 K). Nevada pitchers walked a staggering 15 batters in that game.

In the second game between the two teams Nevada cranked 4 HRs in route to a 8-4 victory over 10th Ranked Mizzou.

Offline DPMOmaha

QFT
I don't think people, at least I wasn't intending to insinuate they were a BAD team, just that it seemed like they were being portrayed to be a higher quality of opponent than they really are.  They are probably a competitive team but not on the level of a power.  They are the very definition of a mid-major.  They're good for where they are.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd really like to see what he can do in one of their matchups with Fullerton, UCLA or Long Beach, but I don't think any of those matchups will happen.

Offline JMUalumni

I'd really like to see what he can do in one of their matchups with Fullerton, UCLA or Long Beach, but I don't think any of those matchups will happen.

He probably will get all the Friday starts.  If that holds up, then it looks like he will face:

Nevada
San Diego
UNLV (2)
Brigham Young
TCU (2)
UC-Davis
New Mexico
Santa Clara
Air Force
Utah

Some good teams, nothing elite.  Looks like we will have to wait until the CWS tourney to see that, unless they switch up his starts so that he can face the big teams like the Dirt Bags.

Offline Blueliner

BC has a RPI of 135 out of 296 schools.  Their ISR is 146. 

They are not a very strong program, even if they go to regionals every year. 

Also the Mountain West Conference isn't a strong baseball conference.  Out west, the Pac-10 and Big West are so much better than the MWC. 

Not taking anything way from Stras but the kid hasn't faced the quality of competition as some other pitchers. 

Offline Battleship

You also have to factor in things like metal bats and some of these stadiums in the NCAA.  I've seen some ridiculous wind aided homers in college ball.  On pure talent the pros would likely be better, but you can't ignore those other factors.

Strasburg also looked really good in the Olympics against good comp despite being at the end of a season where he pitched a lot at 19 years old. 

I would start Strasburg at Potomac.

Offline Blueliner

You also have to factor in things like metal bats and some of these stadiums in the NCAA.  I've seen some ridiculous wind aided homers in college ball.  On pure talent the pros would likely be better, but you can't ignore those other factors.

Strasburg also looked really good in the Olympics against good comp despite being at the end of a season where he pitched a lot at 19 years old. 

I would start Strasburg at Potomac.

The stadium factor is very true.  At Long Beach and Pepperdine, pitcher's stats are a bit inflated because of the heavy, damp sea air and in LB's case the large demensions of the ballpark.  About 400 to almost all fields.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The stadium factor is very true.  At Long Beach and Pepperdine, pitcher's stats are a bit inflated because of the heavy, damp sea air and in LB's case the large demensions of the ballpark.  About 400 to almost all fields.

Humid air is lighter than dry air.  The heirarchy of air density factors is, in descending order of importance:

1- altitude (higher is less dense)
2- temperature (higher is less dense)
3- humidity (higher is less dense)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
DO NOT RUSH THE KID..hes one of jimbos last hopes if hes a bust hes out of work

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
He being jimbo

Offline ronnynat

"Could Strasburg go from the draft directly to the rotation?"

I'm starting to think he could. :lol:  3 starts and done would work for me.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
"Could Strasburg go from the draft directly to the rotation?"

I'm starting to think he could. :lol:  3 starts and done would work for me.

I wouldn't count on it until 2010 and not until 2011 full time.

Offline ronnynat

I wouldn't count on it until 2010 and not until 2011 full time.

Yeah, they might do what the Giants did with Lincecum. Draft him, have him pitch about 30 innings in the minors this year, then bring him up after a few starts in the minors next year. I wouldn't be complaining if they did that. I do think he could handle Major League hitters this season, though.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
He might but he will need to build up arm strength and endurance. By the time he is signed and has some minor league experience he will have logged a lot of innings and his young arm may need to acclimate itself to the workload gradually.