Author Topic: Should Harper be platooned?  (Read 6853 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Should Harper be platooned?
« Reply #25: August 11, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »
No matter how Harper is hitting, that arm of his inhibits taking extra bases more than anything I've seen in a while, and I grew up with Dewey Evans.  That, and his disruptive speed when he gets on, is enough for me to say he has to get the bulk of the innings in the field.  Maybe there are rest day spots for Moore, but I kind of like having him, Bernie and Tracv as pinch hitting options off the bench.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #26: August 11, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
It's not like he never struggled at times in the minors or college either. It happens, what will be interesting to see is how he pulls out of it. His approach was much better earlier, I'm sure he'll get back on track.

Online blue911

« Reply #27: August 11, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
Blue - is that stat against only the starter or against all pitchers who pitch in that game?   You wonder if the reason those stats start to look like each other is because lefties are more likely to get replaced by a righty (at least in a mid inning switch) while righties may be more frequently replaced by LOOGYs specifically fro the Harper match up.

The games started stats include all at bats for the game. And my thinking matches yours regarding relief pitching

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: August 11, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
It's not like he never struggled at times in the minors or college either. It happens, what will be interesting to see is how he pulls out of it. His approach was much better earlier, I'm sure he'll get back on track.

I have no problem with him working through things in the regular season, but if the trends don't improve, I want the best line up in the playoffs, not the best line up for harper's development

Online blue911

« Reply #29: August 11, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
You don't platoon a 19 year old. Either you live with it or send him down where he can continue his development against lesser talent.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: August 11, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
You don't platoon a 19 year old. Either you live with it or send him down where he can continue his development against lesser talent.

I agree if this were a "normal" 19 year old.    I believe he'll pull out of this before September (15th?) and he'll be startin'.   

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #31: August 11, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »

But you do in the playoffs when you are trying to win the whole thing.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #32: August 11, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
I am just reminded of Detwiler and how he has matured mentally, even over his last few starts. Once he got out of his head he pitches fantastically. He is learning not to let hits and homers keep him from pitching the rest of these games well.

Harper needs to do the same, just like many people have said. He needs to get out of his head and just hit. He cannot compare himself to anyone else or even his past self. At 16 he was hitting above .600 (mindfact). The majors are based around player failure. Harper has to deal with his failure and move on, just like every one of his teammates.

He also might not want to look at the scoreboard. Morse stopped doing that as it messed him up mentally (which is why he did not know about his hitting streak).

Online blue911

« Reply #33: August 11, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
But you do in the playoffs when you are trying to win the whole thing.

No, not at all. The data doesn't support platooning Harper. What the data DOES support is Harper struggles the firsttime he sees a pitcher in any given game.

First at bat against the starter. .241/.310/.354

First at bat against any reliever. .186/.271/.319

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #34: August 11, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »
No, not at all. The data doesn't support platooning Harper. What the data DOES support is Harper struggles the firsttime he sees a pitcher in any given game.

First at bat against the starter. .241/.310/.354

First at bat against any reliever. .186/.271/.319

How long do you give him blue?

Online blue911

« Reply #35: August 11, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
How long do you give him blue?

I don't think it's righty/lefty as much as growing pains. He didn't hit lefties all that great in the minors but I don't have the same quality of stats. I would believe he probably had more troubles than he has now. That's natural for a young player, that's what development is all about. But as to how long,IDK I think he's pressing more than any real flaw. Give him some time off let Tyler get some AB's see if that helps.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #36: August 11, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
I heard a report on 106.7 yesterday (or Thursday), I think it was on Lavar's show - where someone did the analysis and said that all things considered, there have only been two other teenagers in the same league offensively as Harper has been this year - Tony C. and Griffey Jr.
I don't think it's righty/lefty as much as growing pains. He didn't hit lefties all that great in the minors but I don't have the same quality of stats. I would believe he probably had more troubles than he has now. That's natural for a young player, that's what development is all about. But as to how long,IDK I think he's pressing more than any real flaw. Give him some time off let Tyler get some AB's see if that helps.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #37: August 11, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
I also believe that the other things Harper brings to the table offset his struggles a bit right now. Everytime something good happens for us, he seems to be in the middle of it, somehow, someway. Plus, he's been much better in the field than most of us would have thought coming into the season. Lets just see how regular rest works for him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #38: August 11, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »
He still doesn't understand the concept of a cutoff man.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: August 11, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »

:clap:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: August 11, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »

Unless your in the playoffs and want his bat as half a platoon- it's not like there are aaa games where he could be getting full time at bats

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #41: August 11, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »

If that's true, send him down. Because right now, Tyler Moore and Roger Bernadina are better starters

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #42: August 11, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
In order to keep all outfielders skills fresh, they will have to!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #43: August 12, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »
Bryce Harper is the future and I would be shocked if he was platooned or sent down. FP referenced it recently that this team has been accepting his struggles knowing that he has unlimited potential. He also adds a lot of energy to the team.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #44: August 12, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
He doesn't have to play every innings of every single game! 

Btw,before he went on the DL, WERTH was one of his mentors.  He was giving him some tips last night.  Now that Werth is back,the mentoring co tinues

Offline RL04

« Reply #45: August 12, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
do you think Davey would be willing to platoon Harper and Moore in the playoffs? I mean it makes sense since Harper is bad vs. lefties

I'm afraid to tell you though that Harp is also terrible against righties too.

It's just not happening right now for him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #46: August 12, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
He's 19. He's a prospect. He's shown flashes of complete awesome. These at bats will pay off in coming seasons.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: August 12, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
He needs to play, as much as he possibly can. That's the only way a 19 year old is going to learn and improve. Right now it's not a detriment to wins/losses, if it becomes one, then that's a different discussion.

Days off here and there are totally a good thing, but I don't see anyway they platoon him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #48: August 12, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
Platooning a 19 year old is not going to kill his future as some seem to think it will.

He's 19. He's a prospect. He's shown flashes of complete awesome. These at bats will pay off in coming seasons.

Too bad we still have games in 2012 to play.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #49: August 12, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
Platooning a 19 year old is not going to kill his future as some seem to think it will.

Too bad we still have games in 2012 to play.

And we're supposedly in a playoff race.

Its funny, people wanted another starting pitcher or complain about Strasburg being shut down, yet Harper is the worst hitting outfielder on the team and no one wants to sit him