Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 104468 times)

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #750: October 30, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
Had a horned owl buzz me on my bike in Rock Creek Park last week.  They are really big, especially when they are 2 or 3 feet over your head.  It was just after sunset, but there was enough light to clearly see the tufted "ears".  Pretty cool. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #751: October 30, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
Had a horned owl buzz me on my bike in Rock Creek Park last week.  They are really big, especially when they are 2 or 3 feet over your head.  It was just after sunset, but there was enough light to clearly see the tufted "ears".  Pretty cool. 
next time, stick to wool instead of rabbit pelts for your thermal gear.

• babble on
« Reply #752: October 30, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
Seriously.  Never mind the coyotes in the park. 
next time, stick to wool instead of rabbit pelts for your thermal gear.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #753: October 30, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

I had one buzz me on C and 3rd (or thereabouts) SE when I lived down that way.  Perched him(or her)self up in a bell tower in a church down there.  I assume the owl lives near there.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #754: November 04, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
Of all the weird things to find in the street out front this morning.....

Its owner showed up on our deck about an hour later. That looks painful!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #755: November 04, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
Squirrel/car interaction?

Of all the weird things to find in the street out front this morning.....

(Image removed from quote.)

Its owner showed up on our deck about an hour later. That looks painful!

(Image removed from quote.)

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #756: November 04, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
ouch, poor thing! don't squirrels use their tail for balance when they're running amongst the trees?  This poor little guy might be grounded now :(

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #757: November 04, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
But chicks dig scars, so... probably worth it for him. If it's a dude, I mean.

ouch, poor thing! don't squirrels use their tail for balance when they're running amongst the trees?  This poor little guy might be grounded now :(

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #758: November 04, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »

I assume he climbed one of the trees to get onto the deck, but I thought the same thing you did when I saw the piece of his tail out in the street.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #759: November 04, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
But chicks dig scars, so... probably worth it for him. If it's a dude, I mean.

I dunno.  I sort of had mixed reactions when I'd show the ol' appendix scar in bars.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #760: November 04, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
I'm surprised they were mixed at all.  :|

I dunno.  I sort of had mixed reactions when I'd show the ol' appendix scar in bars.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #761: November 04, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I'm surprised they were mixed at all.  :|

A few gasps, some screams, once in a while morbid curiousity.  I'd say that is a pretty mixed bag. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #762: November 04, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
Squirrel/car interaction?

I assumed so, but you know, now that I think about it, the piece of the squirrel's tail was in the street near the house with the bushes in which I've seen the cat shown in my earlier posts going to hide. I have no idea where the cat goes at night, but the lady two doors down thinks the cat lives in the bushes next to the end unit across the street. The squirrel's tail was lying in the street near that house. So who knows, maybe the cat attacked the squirrel!

Speaking of the cat, last week we were watching South Park, the episode about drones, and Ms1995hoo said (only half in jest) that I should get a drone and use it to follow the cat to see where she hides. Seems like a rather extravagant expense for something like that, especially given (a) most inexpensive drones' short battery lives and (b) the intense difficulty of flying one out back of our house due to all the trees and the tight quarters. As I think about it, though, the idea of using an inexpensive drone to examine our roof after windstorms makes it seem like less of an extravagance. Right now I go down the end of the block with binoculars and I hope nobody calls the cops thinking I'm trying to look in their windows.....

• babble on
« Reply #763: November 04, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
That tail would look good on a Barves hat

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #764: November 04, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Ms1995hoo suggested you buy a drone and you declined?

I assumed so, but you know, now that I think about it, the piece of the squirrel's tail was in the street near the house with the bushes in which I've seen the cat shown in my earlier posts going to hide. I have no idea where the cat goes at night, but the lady two doors down thinks the cat lives in the bushes next to the end unit across the street. The squirrel's tail was lying in the street near that house. So who knows, maybe the cat attacked the squirrel!

Speaking of the cat, last week we were watching South Park, the episode about drones, and Ms1995hoo said (only half in jest) that I should get a drone and use it to follow the cat to see where she hides. Seems like a rather extravagant expense for something like that, especially given (a) most inexpensive drones' short battery lives and (b) the intense difficulty of flying one out back of our house due to all the trees and the tight quarters. As I think about it, though, the idea of using an inexpensive drone to examine our roof after windstorms makes it seem like less of an extravagance. Right now I go down the end of the block with binoculars and I hope nobody calls the cops thinking I'm trying to look in their windows.....

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #765: November 04, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
Ms1995hoo suggested you buy a drone and you declined?

She only raised the issue last Thursday! I'd wait until November 12 to buy one so it'd be on the next charge card statement!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #766: November 04, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
She only raised the issue last Thursday! I'd wait until November 12 to buy one so it'd be on the next charge card statement!

Sounds like a plan.       :thumbs:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #767: November 04, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
You can get them for less than $100 can't you?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #768: November 04, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
You can get them for less than $100 can't you?

You can, although the one I was looking at is around $165. The remote controller includes a screen so you can see what the drone's camera sees, although everything I've read recommends keeping your eye on the drone itself while you fly it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #769: November 04, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
You can, although the one I was looking at is around $165. The remote controller includes a screen so you can see what the drone's camera sees, although everything I've read recommends keeping your eye on the drone itself while you fly it.

$100 to $165 for starters?     Hmmmmm, might be something for an old retiree to look at.

• babble on
« Reply #770: November 04, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »
I have a feeling that operating a drone around here would quickly earn one a visit from guys in suits. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #771: November 04, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
$100 to $165 for starters?     Hmmmmm, might be something for an old retiree to look at.

I'll post a link tomorrow to the one I was looking at (we are at the Caps game now)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #772: November 05, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
Don't want to take the thread too far off topic, but this was one of the drones I was considering. (It looks like the one Butters's father had on South Park. Gist of episode: Butters's father has a drone. Cartman convinces Butters to let him fly it. Cartman uses it to film Craig's mom undressing and then posts the video online, including her unshaved bush. He claims he found the video on the Internet. Public outrage causes a neighborhood watch consisting of drones. Randy Marsh then uses his black neighborhood watch drone to watch a couple having sex; a police drone shoots it down, leading to protests because the police shot down an unarmed civilian drone—and it was black! Meanwhile, the video of Craig's mom has over 300 million hits even though everyone claims they didn't watch it.)

http://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107D-FPV-Mini-Quadcopter/dp/B00GSNWB5K/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

But B&H also sell them and they have one with fixed wings that can operate as a glider, extending the battery life. It also has fewer propellers (easier to fly, perhaps?). On the other hand, it's more expensive. I want to try to find reviews of this device.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1020117-REG/hubsan_h301f_spy_hawk_glider_with.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #773: November 05, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
Don't want to take the thread too far off topic, but this was one of the drones I was considering. (It looks like the one Butters's father had on South Park. Gist of episode: Butters's father has a drone. Cartman convinces Butters to let him fly it. Cartman uses it to film Craig's mom undressing and then posts the video online, including her unshaved bush. He claims he found the video on the Internet. Public outrage causes a neighborhood watch consisting of drones. Randy Marsh then uses his black neighborhood watch drone to watch a couple having sex; a police drone shoots it down, leading to protests because the police shot down an unarmed civilian drone—and it was black! Meanwhile, the video of Craig's mom has over 300 million hits even though everyone claims they didn't watch it.)

http://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107D-FPV-Mini-Quadcopter/dp/B00GSNWB5K/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

But B&H also sell them and they have one with fixed wings that can operate as a glider, extending the battery life. It also has fewer propellers (easier to fly, perhaps?). On the other hand, it's more expensive. I want to try to find reviews of this device.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1020117-REG/hubsan_h301f_spy_hawk_glider_with.html

Think I'd prefer some type of hover craft.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #774: November 26, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
So about an hour ago we saw a BIG raccoon out on our deck. I'm sure it was there because we had the cat food out there—the cat came later than usual and she often comes a second time, so we had left the bowl out there while we were going through a series of debacles making a pie for Thanksgiving. So around 8:25 my wife thought the cat was back, but then the animal looked up and we realized it was a raccoon, a fairly big one (easily bigger than the cat). I opened the door and yelled at it and it ran away via our neighbors' deck railing.

I think we are going to be a lot more careful about bringing the cat food back inside. Poor thing still doesn't trust us even though she's been coming since July. She runs away as soon as we open the door, then comes back after we close it.

No raccoon picture, the lighting was crappy and I didn't get a chance to grab a camera or phone before chasing it away.