Author Topic: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 2  (Read 11896 times)

Offline PC

Re: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 2
« Reply #250: June 10, 2010, 01:09:50 AM »
Capps still had a shot to get Berkman out after that non call. And even though I thought he went around let's face it, most of the time umps just don't want to make that call.

Every time I think about this, I'll invariably have that thought but my immediate next thought is "Matt Capps DID get Berkman out!"  He struck him out.  We saw it!    The error had been accounted for because Lance Berkman had been struck out for the third out? Game over.   We win!

Instead, if a strike isn't a strike then what is a strike?  Why should Matt Capps be forced to get four called strikes to get an out?  If a pitcher is forced to throw four strikes, for example, to get an out, the chances of a batter getting a hit increases.  And not just a hit.  So many bad things can happen when a pitcher is forced to throw extra pitches.  Berkman could have been hit by a pitch.  He could have walked him, both of which would also have given us a loss.  These extra pitches, in this case, were the fault of the umpire.

And if the umpires don't want to make these calls, they should get a job a Burger King instead.

But I can get over it...eventually.  What I can't get over is the complete lack of acknowledgment of wrong.  Does Bill Hohn think he made a mistake?  We know Jim Joyce thinks HE made a mistake so speaking up is not unheard of.  Does MLB think what we saw was a strike?  What we've gotten from Major League Baseball offices is silence.   >:(  And the fact that it's a "judgment call" is irrelevant.  Either it was a strike or it wasn't.  Bill Hohn's judgment doesn't change the reality of the situation.

And I hope Jim Riggleman doesn't get over it!

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #251: June 10, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »
 Nieves needs to go - he can not call pitches nor does he know strategy to save his soul. WE need another back-up pitcher. Time to trade Nieves...............Enough said.  :nono:

« Reply #252: June 10, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
Time to trade Nieves

Is there a team insane enough to do so?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #253: June 10, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
Is there a team insane enough to do so?

I doubt it. More than likely, when we're done with Nieves he just goes back to being a minor leaguer unless SF buys a team in the near future.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #254: June 10, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »
I doubt it. More than likely, when we're done with Nieves he just goes back to being a minor leaguer unless SF buys a team in the near future.

It's sad when we are pining for Burke and Maldonado instead.