Author Topic: Favorite sports team...  (Read 2706 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Favorite sports team...
« Reply #25: March 01, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
I was a part of a religious group in college.  Every year over Christmas break, we would go to a huge convention.  5000 students from all across the country would gather there and we would have a great time.  In January 2002, Nebraska made it to the National Title game vs. Miami.  Miami was stacked, Nebraska got killed.  We had a group of about 20 of us that skipped the meeting that night to watch the game.  After the demolition was over, we were depressed.  Really upset.  We eventually made our way down to the lobby and there were thousands of students who didn't care about the game and were having a great time, playing games, making new friends, all that stuff.  It just sorta hit me that night that it wasn't worth it.  The game, as disappointing as it was, wasn't worth having a day, or night or weekend ruined.  I'll enjoy and live and die during the game, but once it was over, it was over. 

The closest I've ever come was after Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big XII title game, the one where they put the second back on the clock.  That one can still bring back the emotion.  I'll actually take rec league softball or volleyball games that I actually play in harder than Nebraska or Nats games.  I love my teams.  I love to follow them, I love to get into the daily minutia, but the result of a game will never ruin my day. 

Check back when we lose a game 7...

interesting.  i was on a retreat the last time (and really I think the only time) Maryland got waxed in the NCAA tourney to UCLA.  I couldn't even watch the game, but I snuck out with one of the adults (also a Terps fan) to listen in the car.  B/C it was such a blowout and I was on vaca/retreat, really wasn't so bad.  Plus I didn't have to watch it haha.

Some losses are worse than others ... sometimes I can just go out and forget about it, others, I'm like why the hell does my team have to go through it lol.