Author Topic: Research on pitching mechanics (& a note about Strasburg)  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I don't know anything about Pagliarulo as a pitching coach. This sounds interesting, but painfully vague. I'll do some more research and see if I can find anything else out there on what he's doing, but I'm running out the door. This post will be rushed.

The NPA really has youth injuries down to a science by controlling mechanical efficiency, pitch counts in a calendar year, and conditioning. It's hard to find details about how MLB teams handle these things. Pitching coaches are rarely asked detailed questions by the media, and mechanical thought and workload practices evolve year to year. Strasburg's (and Leake for that matter) have been interesting because a lot of people are watching how we handle him.

However, the bolded statement doesn't do much for me without more information. A change in arm slot is not good, obviously, but how has Strasburg's arm slot been different? Pics? Also, Strasburg was really wild and couldn't find his release point a couple starts ago, so it's not inconceivable that he was doing something different and it was already corrected by Stras/McCatty before his last start.

For a thorough breakdown of Strasburg's mechanics, check out Doug Thorburn's Star Wars series of blogs on Strasburg. Great, great reads: http://www.baseballdailydigest.com/category/authors-a-f/doug-thorburn/