Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73306 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #225: June 15, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »
Hood with a good day at the plate.

2-4, 2B, HR, 2RBI, 1BB, 2K

one thing I noticed last Tuesday is that physically, Ryan Zimmerman just looked like he was on a different plane than everyone else at Potomac, except Hood.  Hood has that look to him - size, muscle, you name it.  There isn't anyone else on that team who looks that way.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #226: June 16, 2011, 02:16:42 AM »
yeah, he's pretty good @ baseball.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #227: June 17, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Hood won't play in all star game bc he's been placed on DL with sore knee :(

But my second favorite prospect on potomac, jeff kobernus, will take his place.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #228: June 17, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »

But my second favorite prospect on potomac, jeff kobernus, will take his place.
want to do an FTP thread on him?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #229: June 17, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »
want to do an FTP thread on him?

Yes!  I think I was supposed to but I forgot.

Ill get it going.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #230: June 29, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
Destin with yet another walkoff hit ... this time a walkoff single in the 10th, his 40th rbi.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #231: June 29, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
Thus far he has been a lot more powerful and a lot more disciplined at the plate.

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #232: July 02, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »
How about destin tonight? 3-5 , double , 2HRS and 5 RBI's.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #233: July 02, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
How about destin tonight? 3-5 , double , 2HRS and 5 RBI's.
Regardless of all this I think we are much better served as a whole to pick college players primarily. HS take so long to develop it isn't worth it. And they bust way more often.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #234: July 02, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
Regardless of all this I think we are much better served as a whole to pick college players primarily. HS take so long to develop it isn't worth it. And they bust way more often.

well they selected him in the second round in '08 and he'll most likely be in AA to end the year, so he's rising the ranks at a pretty good pace.  

you take the best player available, i say.  

and the season he is having, it's looking like the nats made the right decision ... so i don't know why you would say regardless.

what a beast.  7 homers, 23 doubles, 45 rbis.  plus he got his first taste of the DL and he's come back strong.

as much as i think our big league club could use a major acquisition before the trade deadline, hood is one of the few prospects that i would not want to part with.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #235: July 03, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
More great position players are high school draftees than college.  The bust chances are higher, but, when they announce the All Star teams today, count the HS draftees among the US / Canadian / PR position players v. the college draftees.  Just off the top of my head, Jeter, A-Rod, Hamilton, Martin, Adrian were HS guys, Granderson a college guy, Ortiz, Bautista and Cano international FAs.  I forget if it is Ichiro (int'l) instead of Grandy, and it could be Ellsbury (college) instead of Hamilton.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #236: July 03, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
well they selected him in the second round in '08 and he'll most likely be in AA to end the year, so he's rising the ranks at a pretty good pace. 

you take the best player available, i say. 

and the season he is having, it's looking like the nats made the right decision ... so i don't know why you would say regardless.

what a beast.  7 homers, 23 doubles, 45 rbis.  plus he got his first taste of the DL and he's come back strong.

as much as i think our big league club could use a major acquisition before the trade deadline, hood is one of the few prospects that i would not want to part with.
I say regardless because I mean despite Hood doing well I think we are better served drafting college players. Look at the players who make a near immediate impact on the team (Zimmerman, Espinosa, Zimmermann, Strasburg, etc) As a 'rebuilding' team we should stick to college players who are more likely to be ready in a year or 2.

Offline RD

« Reply #237: July 03, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
You take the best player, period.

Limiting things to one experience level is ridiculous.

So we should've taken Christian Colon over Harper? Or at the very least, Baltimore should've taken him over Machado?

Absolutely not.

You don't draft for immediate need in baseball. You'll be mediocre every single season, at best.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #238: July 03, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
You take the best player, period.

Limiting things to one experience level is ridiculous.

So we should've taken Christian Colon over Harper? Or at the very least, Baltimore should've taken him over Machado?

Absolutely not.

You don't draft for immediate need in baseball. You'll be mediocre every single season, at best.
Harper was a college player. I do think you draft best available. But part of being the best available means being ready to help. Rebuilding teams need instant help. HS players are a waste more often than not. You don't know what kind of competition they faced in HS. In college they play against only the best HS players. It is very simple and obvious.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #239: July 03, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
Wasn't there a study done that the number of busts from high school was just about the same as college?

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #240: July 03, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
Wasn't there a study done that the number of busts from high school was just about the same as college?
I don't see how that is possible. One glance at the first round of numerous drafts will show you.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #241: July 03, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
And even if that 'study' is true; HS players need much more time to develop time rebuilding teams don't have.

Offline RD

« Reply #242: July 03, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »
Again, drafting for immediate need is absolutely ridiculous.

Even college players usually take at least 2 years to reach the bigs.

Even if you want to eliminate Harper for being a JuCo guy, you didnt answer the question about Machado - Based on your belief, you'd have to take Colon over Machado.

That's a monumental mistake, if you actually believe that.

Instead of having an ARod, franchise cornerstone, you'd just have a decent big league SS, or slightly above average 2b. That certainly is not  better for your franchise.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #243: July 03, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
And even if that 'study' is true; HS players need much more time to develop time rebuilding teams don't have.

You take the best player available. If you restrict yourself to college kids you're cutting yourself off from 1/2 the draft and sometimes the best players out there.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #244: July 03, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
Here is a study I'll do.

The 2005 MLB draft. Which players have reached MLB more college or HSers?

23 out of 28 have reached MLB from college 82.1%
11 out of 19 have  reached MLB from HS  57.8%
_______________________________________ ___________________________
The 2006 MLB draft. Which players reached the MLB more college or HS players?

21 out of 24 have reached MLB from college 87.5%
4 out of 17 reached MLB from HS 23.5%

Such obvious numbers yet you argue.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #245: July 03, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
You take the best player available. If you restrict yourself to college kids you're cutting yourself off from 1/2 the draft and sometimes the best players out there.
Don't restrict yourself I never said restrict yourself I think a team is better served and more likely to get their money's worth.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #246: July 03, 2011, 03:56:32 PM »
Again, drafting for immediate need is absolutely ridiculous.

Even college players usually take at least 2 years to reach the bigs.

Even if you want to eliminate Harper for being a JuCo guy, you didnt answer the question about Machado - Based on your belief, you'd have to take Colon over Machado.

That's a monumental mistake, if you actually believe that.

Instead of having an ARod, franchise cornerstone, you'd just have a decent big league SS, or slightly above average 2b. That certainly is not  better for your franchise.

OMG I never freaking said that. Just put words in my mouth. I said teams are better served to pick college kids due to the fact that they develop quicker and are more reliable.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #247: July 03, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
Don't restrict yourself I never said restrict yourself I think a team is better served and more likely to get their money's worth.

You're advocating avoiding HS players in the draft. That's restricting yourself.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #248: July 03, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree that college kids are a "safer" pick but even rebuilding teams need those high ceiling guys and you should always just take the best player available, college or high school. The fact that high school kids take longer isn't that important if they end up being an All-Star.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #249: July 03, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
You're advocating avoiding HS players in the draft. That's restricting yourself.
Avoid and restrict are not the same word.

Avoid-keep away from
Restrict-to deprive

Restrict is to absolutely not pick them. Avoid is to usually not. IMHO