Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 141500 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #100: June 25, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
Even if you went, nothing prevents teams from continuing to draft you (granted the same team can't without permission); if a kid like Appel went elsewhere waiting until he hit free agency, it might be a while because there is nothing preventing a team from blowing a 40th round pick. If they managed to get residency abroad, the international free agent limits are worse than the draft restrictions

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #101: June 25, 2012, 11:51:09 AM »
While Ill be upset with us not signing Giolito, and agree it'd be a failure if we didnt(though signing one of the HSers taken in the 25-27 rounds would be nice), it would likely set us up pretty well next year.

We'd have the 17th pick in the draft as compensation, along with a pick in the 20's. We'd get that extra cash allotted as well. Since we would be drafting with signability with the 17th pick, we could probably save a decent chunk of change to apply to another selection. Definitely pales in comparison to the thought of landing Giolito, but a sunshine squad way to look at it!

Actually, picks are protected for 2 years in the new CBA, so 17 wouldn't have to be an easily sign-able pick.  Also, keep in mind LaRoche and EJax could bring back 4 more picks in the top 35-40.  Also, with less picks overall the 2nd rounder should be in the 65-70 range. Finally, it wouldn't shock me if Rizzo and company traded for one or more of the competitive balance lottery picks (6 picks after the comp picks between round 1 and 2, and 6 more between round 2 and 3).  Perhaps Marrero is redundant and could be traded for one.

I'd rather have Giolito, but next year's draft could be a lot of fun either way.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #102: June 25, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »
Related:

Is there anything in the CBA to prevent Mark Appel from signing a one-year deal with a Japanese League team and then trying to become a free agent?

Brad Carper
Warrensburg, Mo.

Appel, the Stanford righthander expected to go No. 1 overall but who dropped to the Pirates at No. 8, certainly could sign with a Japanese team and try to become a free agent. Whether he'd actually hit the open market is the real question.

When the Nationals took Stephen Strasburg with the top choice in 2009, he was hailed as the best pitching prospect—maybe the best prospect—in draft history. He ultimately signed a $15.1 million contract that represented the biggest draft deal ever. At the same time, it fell fall short of the contracts bestowed on top international free agents such as Jose Contreras ($32 million in 2002) and Daisuke Matsuzaka ($52 million in 2006).

Seeking to gain leverage for his client, agent Scott Boras hinted that Strasburg might head to Japan for a year and then seek free agency. He would have had to find a Japanese team willing to make him a free agent after one season rather than the standard nine, and one that would take part in helping him circumvent the MLB draft.

Even had Strasburg succeeded in doing so, MLB assured the Nationals that its interpretation of the draft rules would have made the pitcher re-enter the 2010 draft rather than granted him free agency. Had this story line played out, Strasburg certainly would have filed a grievance. Whether that would have made him a free agent remains to be seen.

J.D. Drew successfully won a 1997 case after MLB unilaterally ruled players who signed with independent league teams had to re-enter the next year's draft. But Drew didn't become a free agent because the arbitrator decreed that the decision didn't apply to him because he wasn't a member of the MLB Players Association.

If Appel tests the Japan route, MLB would rule that he'd have to re-enter the 2013 draft and the grievance process would have to play out. I still believe, as stated in last week's Ask BA, that his best move is to get his career started by signing for the $3.5 million to $4 million Pittsburgh will be able to pay him without incurring a draft-pick penalty under the new rules this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2012/2613567.html

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #103: July 05, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »
any news here?  Are we looking at another 11:59 PM signing?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #104: July 06, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
I'm guessing he walks. He's a highschool pitcher. He can pitch in college for a year and get drafted higher

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #105: July 06, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
There isn't much money for him to gain by not signing. This is guaranteed money, right now. He may get injured in college and not make a dime. He will certainly sign.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #106: July 06, 2012, 09:10:05 AM »
He can pitch in college for a year and get drafted higher

He can?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #107: July 06, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Slate, since Little Gio would be going to UCLA, he'd have to go to college for three years before he can be drafted again, not one.

Online Slateman

« Reply #108: July 06, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
Why? Is there some rule that you have to pitch for three years if  you go to college?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #109: July 06, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »
Why? Is there some rule that you have to pitch for three years if  you go to college?

I believe that's what they are getting at. JC is different though if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #110: July 06, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »

Yes.

If you go to any college that isn't a JC, you are locked in for the next three years.

JC guys can re-enter the draft yearly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #111: July 06, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
I'm guessing he walks. He's a highschool pitcher. He can pitch in college for a year and get drafted higher

in which case he's a moron, giving up $3 million and a three year jump on his pro career in exchange for hoping that he can improve his stock and maybe get another $3 million (and maybe go in the 11th and get 100k). I don't think it's about the money though, he doesn't seem to come from a family that is desperate for it (though it's impossible to know) and college is a great experience

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #112: July 06, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

You're trolling, right?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #113: July 06, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
You're trolling, right?

Naw, he's probably just a basketball fan.

Offline zoom

« Reply #114: July 06, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
Do you (anyone here) think Giolito is worth a draft pick (next year's) since he dropped to us?  We are currently in the bottom 5 in next years draft.  (That is weird to say).

Online Slateman

« Reply #115: July 06, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
Yes.

If you go to any college that isn't a JC, you are locked in for the next three years.

JC guys can re-enter the draft yearly.
Eh, if he wanted to, he could always go to JC. I mean if it's about money, then it would be good for him to go to JC for a year, pitch well, and then get drafted again.

If he does go to school, do we still get a compensation in the 2013 draft?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #116: July 06, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
Eh, if he wanted to, he could always go to JC. I mean if it's about money, then it would be good for him to go to JC for a year, pitch well, and then get drafted again.

If he does go to school, do we still get a compensation in the 2013 draft?

Yes. A first round pick, I think.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #117: July 06, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »
hasn't Giolito already signed a LOI with UCLA? Or is it just a verbal right now?

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #118: July 06, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
I posted this in the draft thread, but figured I'd post it here as well.

FWIW Keith Law said he believes that Giolito will sign.

Online Slateman

« Reply #119: July 06, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »
hasn't Giolito already signed a LOI with UCLA? Or is it just a verbal right now?

Doesn't matter. You can always go back on it.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #120: July 06, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
Doesn't matter. You can always go back on it.

I'm sorry man but it's clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this stuff.

A player can't simply go back on a LOI for no reason. That's the point of a LOI.

Unless UCLA voids his LOI (or he fails to qualify by NCAA standards) he can't play college baseball anywhere else.

Now, if he's only a verbal then he can do as he pleases.

Online Slateman

« Reply #121: July 06, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
I'm sorry man but it's clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this stuff.

A player can't simply go back on a LOI for no reason. That's the point of a LOI.

Unless UCLA voids his LOI (or he fails to qualify by NCAA standards) he can't play college baseball anywhere else.

Now, if he's only a verbal then he can do as he pleases.
That's what I'm talking about. He can go back on his LOI and not play college baseball for a year.

Doesn't mean he can't sign with the Nationals. Doesn't mean he can't go to school somewhere else. He just has to wait out a year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #122: July 06, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
He just has to wait out a year.

three years- UCLA isn't a JC (regardless of what people at cal may think)

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #123: July 06, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. He can go back on his LOI and not play college baseball for a year.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #124: July 06, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

Doesn't mean he can't sign with the Nationals. Doesn't mean he can't go to school somewhere else. He just has to wait out a year.

Just stop.