Author Topic: The Weather (2012)  (Read 44964 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: The Weather (2012)
« Reply #600: October 28, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »
It's all sold by the Federal government, the agents just act as a "storefront"

Oh, if you're talking about the flood plain or OBX type of thing, yeah.  But private insurers offer flood insurance that has nothing to do with the government.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #602: October 28, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »
Oh, if you're talking about the flood plain or OBX type of thing, yeah.  But private insurers offer flood insurance that has nothing to do with the government.

I thought it was only the govmint because there's no profit in it  . . .

Online imref

« Reply #603: October 28, 2012, 10:25:11 PM »
Stu Ostro of The Weather Channel:

- History is being written as an extreme weather event continues to unfold, one which will occupy a place in the annals of weather history as one of the most extraordinary to have affected the United States.
- REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE OFFICIAL DESIGNATION IS NOW OR AT/AFTER LANDFALL -- HURRICANE (INCLUDING IF "ONLY" A CATEGORY ONE), TROPICAL STORM, POST-TROPICAL, EXTRATROPICAL, WHATEVER -- OR WHAT TYPE OF WARNINGS ARE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AND NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER -- PEOPLE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM NEED TO HEED THE THREAT IT POSES WITH UTMOST URGENCY.
- TAKE COASTAL FLOODING EVACUATION ORDERS SERIOUSLY; PREPARE FOR DOWNED TREES AND STRUCTURAL DAMAGE BY OBSERVING TORNADO SAFETY GUIDELINES, I.E. STAYING INSIDE AND GETTING INTO THE LOWEST, MOST-INTERIOR PORTION OF THE BUILDING OR ANOTHER DESIGNATED SAFE PLACE; BE KEENLY AWARE OF YOUR LOCATION'S SUSCEPTIBILITY TO FLASH FLOODING (URBAN AND SMALL STREAM) FROM RAINFALL AND RIVER RISES; KNOW THAT YOU COULD BE WITHOUT POWER FOR A LONG TIME BUT ALSO UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING FROM IMPROPER USE OF GENERATORS.
- With Sandy having already brought severe impacts to the Caribbean Islands and a portion of the Bahamas, and severe erosion to some beaches on the east coast of Florida, it is now poised to strike the northeast United States with a combination of track, size, structure and strength that is unprecedented in the known historical record there.
- Already, there are ominous signs: trees down in eastern North Carolina, the first of countless that will be blown over or uprooted along the storm's path; and coastal flooding in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia, these impacts occurring despite the center of circulation being so far offshore, an indication of Sandy's exceptional size and potency.

- A meteorologically mind-boggling combination of ingredients is coming together: one of the largest expanses of tropical storm (gale) force winds on record with a tropical or subtropical cyclone in the Atlantic or for that matter anywhere else in the world; a track of the center making a sharp left turn in direction of movement toward New Jersey in a way that is unprecedented in the historical database, as it gets blocked from moving out to sea by a pattern that includes an exceptionally strong ridge of high pressure aloft near Greenland; a "warm-core" tropical cyclone embedded within a larger, nor'easter-like circulation; and eventually tropical moisture and arctic air combining to produce heavy snow in interior high elevations. This is an extraordinary situation, and I am not prone to hyperbole.

- That gigantic size is a crucially important aspect of this storm. The massive breadth of its strong winds will produce a much wider scope of impacts than if it were a tiny system, and some of them will extend very far inland. A cyclone with the same maximum sustained velocities (borderline tropical storm / hurricane) but with a very small diameter of tropical storm / gale force winds would not present nearly the same level of threat or expected effects. Unfortunately, that's not the case. This one's size, threat, and expected impacts are immense.

- Those continue to be: very powerful, gusty winds with widespread tree damage and an extreme amount and duration of power outages; major coastal flooding from storm surge along with large battering waves on top of that and severe beach erosion; flooding from heavy rainfall; and heavy snow accumulations in the central Appalachians where a blizzard warning has been issued for some locations due to the combination of snow and wind. With strong winds blowing across the Great Lakes and pushing the water onshore, there are even lakeshore flood warnings in effect as far west as Chicago.

- Sandy is so large that there is even a tropical storm warning in effect in Bermuda, and the Bermuda Weather Service is forecasting wave heights outside the reef as high as 30'.

Online imref

« Reply #604: October 29, 2012, 12:17:20 AM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #605: October 29, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »
Hope you guys are stocked up on fiji water.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #606: October 29, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »
Guess who will be working tomorrow... This guy. Gotta love being essential employees.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #607: October 29, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
Guess who will be working tomorrow... This guy. Gotta love being essential employees.

You and a friend of mine who will be at Giant at 6am.

Online imref

« Reply #608: October 29, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
Franks storm strengthened last night.  Top winds at 85 mph now.  I've never heard of a storm strengthening over the mid Atlantic

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #610: October 29, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
garbagemen are out this morning- i hope they cout out early- not a great job in high winds

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #612: October 29, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
In the event of a 911 phone system failure caused by Hurricane Sandy — similar to that experienced in some areas following the June derecho — Loudoun residents can reach the Leesburg Police Department by calling 703-771-4500; 571-238-4864; or 571-439-4506, authorities said Monday.

Does FFX County have similar numbers?

Sandy made a hard left turn apparently, landfall between Delmarva and South Jersey.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #613: October 29, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
They just had a psyschologist on TV talking about how to ease kids' fears about the storm.  :hang:  What the freak kind of society do we live in! If this crap had happened when I was a kid I would be happy as hell to stay home from school so I can spend the day improving my high scores on Atari.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #614: October 29, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
You'd need quite an imagination to play Atari with no power.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #615: October 29, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »

last 911 outage, we were supposed to go to a police station/fire house or flag an emergency worker if we needed assistance (no I'm not kidding, that was the official advice)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #616: October 29, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
last 911 outage, we were supposed to go to a police station/fire house or flag an emergency worker if we needed assistance (no I'm not kidding, that was the official advice)

DC has no non-emergency number - I may have to call my friend that has a HAM radio.

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #617: October 29, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
It looks like Sandy's going to cram it right up the Delaware Bay's cramhole.

Sandy made a hard left turn apparently, landfall between Delmarva and South Jersey.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #618: October 29, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
They just had a psyschologist on TV talking about how to ease kids' fears about the storm.  :hang:  What the freak kind of society do we live in! If this crap had happened when I was a kid I would be happy as hell to stay home from school so I can spend the day improving my high scores on Atari.

I know I was the kind of kid who liked getting school off no matter what the circumstances but my sister was (and still is, somewhat) scared of storms like this. They just freak her out! It may be mostly irrational but you always read headlines nowadays about the amount of people who die or get injured during storms. What they neglect to mention is that about 99% of those people were idiots who were driving or outside their homes when they got crushed by a tree.

I can tell you though that she is very happy that she won't be in school :lol: but just tries to keep her mind off the destructive winds and possible flooding!

At least if the power goes out I won't be missing any of the World Series :(

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #619: October 29, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

porch swing was the best place to ride out a hurricane growing up

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #620: October 29, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »
I thought it was only the govmint because there's no profit in it  . . .

I can get flood insurance, but I don't live in a flood plain.  It might cover broken water main effects, toilet overflow, other local causes. 

Most risks are insurable, but only at the right price.  If Romney wants to cut government spending, flood insurance would be easy pickings.  Let private insurers have the market, or let homeowners carry their own risk.  (no offense Mathguy/2IPA's)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #621: October 29, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
I think sewer backup is a separate rider from full flood insurance (at least it is on my policy). Also, not to get political, but absent federal subsidy, the state of florida (somewhat important) is uninsurable at rates anyone could afford, not that it matters since the same is true of most of the gulf coast and eastern NC (not regions you want to infuriate as a republican)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #622: October 29, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
I think sewer backup is a separate rider from full flood insurance (at least it is on my policy). Also, not to get political, but absent federal subsidy, the state of florida (somewhat important) is uninsurable at rates anyone could afford, not that it matters since the same is true of most of the gulf coast and eastern NC (not regions you want to infuriate as a republican)

I am 99% sure I have the sewer and drain backup insurance. I guess that would cover a sump . . .

My last rental house came with toilets that ran backwards :spaz: so I'm pretty sure we have it now.

EDIT: 75k of water backup insurance :woop:

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #623: October 29, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Sump failure is flood damage. At least it was for me when the power failed and my sump failed flooding the finished basement. If it's stormwater damage, its flood damage.

I am 99% sure I have the sewer and drain backup insurance. I guess that would cover a sump . . .

My last rental house came with toilets that ran backwards :spaz: so I'm pretty sure we have it now.

EDIT: 75k of water backup insurance :woop:

Online blue911

« Reply #624: October 29, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »

You kids and your video games. Back in my day we had to shoot pool and drink the old man's beer.  :old: