Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40269 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #325: September 08, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
It's not really that bad, but okay.  I've long since given up arguing with people about the Firefox bloat myth.  It's heavier than Chrome, but not nearly by the amount that people seem to think.

When I've used netbooks I actually tend to use Firefox anyway just because their fullscreen mode is more usable to me than Chrome's.  Chrome's is "true" fullscreen, which makes navigation a pain.  Easier to just zoom out a notch or two if you really need the extra viewing space.

To be fair, it's not a myth, it's just in my case it could be other factors beside the coding of firefox. But the affect on my system performance that firefox has is a far cry from Chrome.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #326: September 08, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

To be fair, it's not a myth, it's just in my case it could be other factors beside the coding of firefox. But the affect on my system performance that firefox has is a far cry from Chrome.

It's a myth that it's as bad as people make it out to be :P

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #327: September 13, 2010, 04:04:38 AM »
random thought since I can't seem to sleep tonight.

I really, really hope that Google finally nails down this Social Networking thing. or maybe just buy twitter or something. they ruined a GREAT product in Google Buzz, by introducing it in the absolute worst possible way, forcing it on everyone out of the blue.

I bet you if they announced Google Buzz, and then required people to actually sign up for it, it would have been a much bigger initial success than it was, with less crying about privacy issues. and it would have been a much more serious Twitter Competitor. as it is now, its a ghost town of Automated Blogs and Status Updates from other services. It could have been so much more.

just launching it so suddenly, without any warning and without any explanation of pretty much anything regarding it...killed the product prematurely.

I hope one of these days they figure it out. I like the Google Profiles, they are simple and informative, without demanding your whole life story.  and I like how they integrate Social Networking into Search.

one of these days they will get it. I hope. I like having all of my stuff integrated.  it is convienient. then, if I want, I can shut it all off or change it in one fell swoop.

plus I really don't like Facebook, but i need to use it because EVERYONE is on it(family, school stuff, etc.). I would really prefer to use my Google Profile. but since Google keeps freaking up...

i wonder why Google can pretty much win at everything else, but they epic fail every time they try social networking. I am convinced that they need to just pull 2 or 3 Brinks trucks each up to Twitter and Foursquare, and call it a day.

Google has so many insanely high quality products...but they just can't get Social Networking right.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #328: September 13, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
It's going to take a massive misstep by Facebook for anyone to seriously compete with them at this point.  It's too entrenched, and people don't like maintaining multiple similarly-functioning social networks.  In fact, I just read last week that Facebook traffic surpassed Google (ALL google websites combined, including youtube) for a whole week.

I'm not much of a facebook fan either, but they are freaking huge.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #329: September 13, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »
Facebook Connect finally found a reason for its existence - bands are requiring you to facebook connect to download new singles and rare tracks. Of course you can also Tweet about it, and just have a garbage twitter account for it, and not give up your personal info.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #330: September 13, 2010, 02:59:15 PM »
It's going to take a massive misstep by Facebook for anyone to seriously compete with them at this point.  It's too entrenched, and people don't like maintaining multiple similarly-functioning social networks.  In fact, I just read last week that Facebook traffic surpassed Google (ALL google websites combined, including youtube) for a whole week.

I'm not much of a facebook fan either, but they are freaking huge.

well google doesn't give you a reason to stay on their websites. its all search and leave really.  even youtube. watch a 5-10 minute video then you are gone to the next site.

facebook is all about "you stay here and play our games don't go to another site ever".

and facebook makes a massive misstep like every 3 weeks. its just that nobody is there with a similar product to take advantage of it. as much as Google is whined about regarding privacy, Facebook is the King of privacy violations.  i find it odd that the people who rake google over the coals regarding privacy in every single thing they do seem trusting with Facebook, when the Facebook CEO has basically gone on record and said "freak your privacy" on many occasions.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #331: September 13, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
unless facebook really freaks up (charges for usage, for example), google has no shot to replace it. all my friends and me spend most of our internet time on facebook talking to people or just stalking their profiles

Offline The Chief

« Reply #332: September 13, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »
pro-google anti-fb rhetoric

You can say what you want dude.  I'm pretty indifferent to social networking in general, so I have no horse in this race.  I'm just telling you how it is.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #333: September 13, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »
it is my honest opinion, that Google's only real shot at getting a foothold in social networking is to write blank checks to both Twitter and Foursquare, and then merge them with Google Profiles, Latitude, and Maps. and that would be awesome.

I don't think Google can succeed in building a successful Social Network site from the ground up.

but it seems like they are taking another stab at it with this supposed Google Me thing. and they spend a crapload of money investing in Zynga (the people who make Mafia Wars and Farmville) for social casual gaming.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #334: September 13, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »
google failed at social networking because it came AFTER facebook. myspace was big but it failed generally because it was just so creepy and weird.

facebook, using schools as networks to connect, became the biggest and first dominant social network and everyone flocked to it. no one wants to change to something google uses because it forces them to change what they're doing. the vast majority (like myself) are very happy with what facebook allows us to do. why should i switch to something google does? facebook offers me everything i could want in social networking. i dont want to go have to create a new profile, new page, and then try to get all my friends to come over.

people don't like changing and google failed when it didn't create facebook first.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #335: September 13, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
You can say what you want dude.  I'm pretty indifferent to social networking in general, so I have no horse in this race.  I'm just telling you how it is.

I don't see how my post is "rhetoric". its not anti-facebook, or pro-google. thats just how it is. and you make the mistake of assuming that I care what horse you have or don't have.

Facebook makes major privacy missteps all the time, only to have them forgotten in two weeks because there is no alternative. every month or so there is some big push to leave facebook, but nobody ever does it, because where will they go?

you go to google, you search for something, you find it, and you leave. you check your email, then you leave. you watch a youtube video, then you leave. thats google. a lot of people (uncluding me) don't even go to google to use google search. we do it from our web browser bars.

you go to facebook, and you talk to friends, you stalk profiles, you play games. all on the facebook site. many people leave facebook open in a tab all day. I do this when I am at school, one tab is facebook, one is twitter, every other tab is whatever I need for that particular class.

it isn't surprising to see people spending more time on facebook than on google. they have no compelling reason to stay on google sites and no compelling reason to leave facebook. which is a major problem for google.

yes I am a google fanboy. I love google products. but I am not blind to google's failures and I don't hate everything that isn't google, and I wish you'd quit treating me like I am and do.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #336: September 13, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »
Blah blah you're missing the point.  Just read UMD's last two posts.  He has it nailed.  Facebook was first, it's good enough, people are lazy, the end.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #337: September 13, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
google failed at social networking because it came AFTER facebook. myspace was big but it failed generally because it was just so creepy and weird.

facebook, using schools as networks to connect, became the biggest and first dominant social network and everyone flocked to it. no one wants to change to something google uses because it forces them to change what they're doing. the vast majority (like myself) are very happy with what facebook allows us to do. why should i switch to something google does? facebook offers me everything i could want in social networking. i dont want to go have to create a new profile, new page, and then try to get all my friends to come over.

people don't like changing and google failed when it didn't create facebook first.

Myspace failed because it made the mistake of letting teenagers design their own webpages, and it turned into a hideous mess.

Google failed because it forced its social network on everyone with no warning and no opt-in.

if Buzz had been announced, and then set up as an opt-in invite-only service it would have been much more successful than it was.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #338: September 13, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »
if Buzz had been announced, and then set up as an opt-in invite-only service it would have taken much longer to fail utterly than it did.

Fixed.  Google has tons of extraneous services.  Sure all of them are used by someone, but very few people use all, or even most of them.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #339: September 13, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »
Fixed.  Google has tons of extraneous services.  Sure all of them are used by someone, but very few people use all, or even most of them.

This.

Google = searching (regular search, news, maps, etc). It can keep trying to become "hip" and the hub of social networking but it will fail every time unless facebook decides it wants to close up shop by doing something ridiculously dumb.

I don't think any of my friends even know what Buzz is.

Edit: I know Gmail is amazing, but I'm happy with my Yahoo! email so I don't usually think about Gmail. Google hit a home run with gmail, for sure.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #340: September 13, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »

Offline The Chief

« Reply #341: September 13, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
To be fair, google has done more than just search right.  Gmail and Maps are both wildly successful.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #342: September 13, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
ok chief.

Sorry but if you don't agree then that's on you.  There's nothing I can do to prove how wrong you are, but I feel confident that most reasonably objective observers would agree with me.  In any case it doesn't matter what you think.  It's a fact in my mind :mg:

Human laziness is the lowest common denominator, always remember this.  What UMD said about people not being bothered to switch is exactly right.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #343: September 13, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »
Those facebook games are now making money by having you buy stuff, but they used to make money through shady spam like ways. Those are really pretty messed up, and not even fun.

The founder of facebook IM'ed a friend that he would share data from anyone at harvard back when it first started. This is widely known, yet people still use it.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #344: September 13, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
Facebook = social networking.  Everyone knows that.  As chief and others said, they are too lazy to change.  Just like Internet Explorer.  Sure, it sucks, but yet it is the most widely used browser, even now.  It's what comes on the computer and they are too lazy or unaware that there are superior options.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #345: September 13, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »
The founder of facebook IM'ed a friend that he would share data from anyone at harvard back when it first started. This is widely known, yet people still use it.

I'm not saying FB and it's founder aren't shady, but c'mon.  People say stupid crap.  Doesn't mean you hold them to it forever and ever :roll:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #346: September 13, 2010, 06:09:10 PM »
I'm not saying FB and it's founder aren't shady, but c'mon.  People say stupid crap.  Doesn't mean you hold them to it forever and ever :roll:

Well, it was borderline illegal and showed a lack of moral character and judgement. But it is a billion dollar company now.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #347: September 13, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Well, it was borderline illegal and showed a lack of moral character and judgement. But it is a billion dollar company now.

Yeah but something tells me there are probably just a few more people keeping tabs on his activities these days.  In any case I'm again not denying that the dude is not to be trusted, but it's largely irrelevant.  People by and large are ignorant and lazy, so they don't know about this stuff, and more often than not won't care enough to do anything about it (or care at all) even if they did.

The difference between FB and Google, imo, is that Google means well.  Though even that is debatable anymore if you look into some of the apparently heated discussions on privacy that the founders have had with each other.  Regardless, just meaning well doesn't preclude the possibility of epic screwups.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #348: September 13, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
Yeah but something tells me there are probably just a few more people keeping tabs on his activities these days. 

Hence the billion dollar company comment, it has a life of its own.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #349: September 13, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »

Lack of judgement is pretty much a prerequisite anymore.