Author Topic: Mark Prior comeback thread  (Read 932 times)

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Mark Prior comeback thread
« Topic Start: June 14, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120614&content_id=33303830&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos&partnerId=rss_bos&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

soundsliek he's getting close.  watch the curve in the second video.  If he can throw curves like that, then he doesn't need an upper 90's fastball to be sucessful

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Mark Prior comeback thread
« Reply #1: June 14, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
He's a busted headcase that should just keep his miserable ass in San Diego and not tarnish the memories of 2002 and 2003.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #2: June 14, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
Mark Prior couldn't hold Chad Billingsley's jock strap.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3: June 14, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
Mark Prior couldn't hold Chad Billingsley's jock strap.

He couldn't hold Don Billingsley's jock. Texas forever.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #4: June 15, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »
He's a busted headcase that should just keep his miserable ass in San Diego and not tarnish the memories of 2002 and 2003.

The memory of choking in the playoffs and failing to live up the messianic hype of the Chicago media? Why would he ever want to tarnish those memories?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: June 15, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
The memory of choking in the playoffs and failing to live up the messianic hype of the Chicago media? Why would he ever want to tarnish those memories?

While both of those are definitely true, I was attempting to be somewhat positive about ol' headcases career.  Could just be that I have personal memories attached with those two seasons. YMMV.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #6: June 15, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »
I have to agree with the Count.  You take 2003 out of Prior's career numbers and he is less than Mediocre.  2003 will forever be connected with the playoff collapse.  I often wonder if history would have been different for the Cubs had Mark Prior been willing to sign with the Twins, who had the number one pick the year Prior was drafted.  Prior had made it clear he would not play for the Twins, so they took Joe Mauer with the number one pick, the Cubs took Prior with the second pick.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: June 15, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »
I have to agree with the Count.  You take 2003 out of Prior's career numbers and he is less than Mediocre.

Oh, he's a total turd without 2003. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: June 15, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Oh, he's a total turd without 2003. 

2002?

He was pretty good then as well.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: June 15, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
I often wonder if history would have been different for the Cubs had Mark Prior been willing to sign with the Twins, who had the number one pick the year Prior was drafted.  Prior had made it clear he would not play for the Twins, so they took Joe Mauer with the number one pick, the Cubs took Prior with the second pick.
Yes, good thing for the Twins.  They avoided signing to a long term, albatross contract one of the most talented players in recent times to come along at a key position and have him turn out to be mysteriously injury prone.

;)

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #10: June 15, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
Yes, good thing for the Twins.  They avoided signing to a long term, albatross contract one of the most talented players in recent times to come along at a key position and have him turn out to be mysteriously injury prone.

;)

Except Prior's injuries were mostly all freak occurrences. If he never plays for Chicago and avoids those accidents we could be talking about how he'll be going down as one of the GOATs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: June 15, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
Well, Mauer's leg muscle problems have never been figured out, as far as I know.  That's a real mystery.  Prior, unfortunately, had some bad luck with contact injuries that cascaded into connective tissue issues when he came back.

Speaking of great careers derailed by mysterious injuries, I always thought the world of Rocco Baldelli.  Short of Hamilton on power, like most mortals, but just an awesome hitter with speed and D.  Natural CF.  Fatigue due to his cells being unable to pass waste out to the blood?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #12: June 15, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Except Prior's injuries were mostly all freak occurrences. If he never plays for Chicago and avoids those accidents we could be talking about how he'll be going down as one of the GOATs.

The Chicago Tribune certainly promoted the belief that Prior's mechanics were "flawless", but isn't this now widely seen as incorrect? I know that Prior's name is usually mentioned now as an example of flawed mechanics leading to injury.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #13: June 15, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »

Speaking of great careers derailed by mysterious injuries, I always thought the world of Rocco Baldelli.  Short of Hamilton on power, like most mortals, but just an awesome hitter with speed and D.  Natural CF.  Fatigue due to his cells being unable to pass waste out to the blood?

think how amazing their outfield could have been if they had crawford, hamilton, and baldelli all healthy.  truely :az: worthy

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #14: June 15, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
The Chicago Tribune certainly promoted the belief that Prior's mechanics were "flawless", but isn't this now widely seen as incorrect? I know that Prior's name is usually mentioned now as an example of flawed mechanics leading to injury.

There's still a lot of debate about it. The general consensus I've heard recently though is that his career was derailed not due to his pitching mechanics but due to his freak accidents. A lot of the arguments that cite Prior as an example of poor pitching mechanics usually don't have much actual evidence to support the claim.