Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 2  (Read 38643 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 2
« Reply #175: September 05, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »
Potomac-Wilmington (8th Inning):  Chris Chavez (2-0, 3.12 ERA), 23, comes into to pitch in his first game of the series for Wilmington.  The first pitch to Burgess is crushed to the right field warning track, not enough to get out though, out #1.  Jon Solano comes up swinging as well, pop up for out #2.  Boomer Whiting continues to provide the P-Nats with a baserunner, as he walks on a wild ball four.  He runs to first and thinks about second, but holds up.  That is it for Chris Chavez. 

The Blue Rocks bring on Ben Swaggerty, who pitched two innings against the P-Nats on Wednesday.  He let up 2 hits, 0 zeros, and struck out one batter.  Before Swaggerty even throws a pitch, Whiting is caught trying to steal second.  Nats still up one going into the bottom of the 8th.

Ozzie Rodriguez, a recent call-up from Hagerstown, takes the mound for Potomac.  Rodriguez was part of this season DSL champions, the DSL Nats1, where he was 12-0.  Rodriguez issues the 8th Potomac walk of the game to the first batter, Kurt Mertins.  Josh Johnson hits a routine groundball to first base, but the throw forces Osvaldo Rodriguez to come off the bag.  The tag on the runner is too late, but Randy Knorr is pissed as he argues that the runner had to leave the basepath to allude the tag.  Appeal denied, runners on 1st and 2nd, Josh Wilkie warming up.  With a 2-2 count, Jeff Howell fouls a pitch that Solano fails to reach for the out.  Howell then grounds to Stephen King who snags the ball for a 5-4-3 double play.  Randy Knorr isn't going to play around, he brings in Josh Wilkie, here is the Potomac blurb on Wilkie:

Wilkie, a Carolina League Mid-Season All-Star, has been the most consistent of the Potomac relievers all season and the only one that has been with the club from start to finish. Even though he lacks velocity, Wilkie goes right after hitters and has a "killer instinct" on the mound. The former George Washington Colonial wants the ball in his hand at the end of the game.

Wilkie, a local product (George Washington), is brought on to go for the 4-save, the series sweep, and a ticket to the Carolina League Championship series.  Wilkie pitched two perfect innings on Wednesday.  Wilkie comes on and gets the last out in the form of a fly ball to Dee Brown.

P-Nats 1, Wilmington 0
Due Up:  Martinez (0-2, SO, S)-Lyons (0-3, SO)-Lefave (0-3, SO)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #176: September 05, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
Bernadina is settling in nicely. It'd be nice if he could start every day for the the rest of the year.

:?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #177: September 05, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »
:?
What? He's clearly more comfortable than he was during his first call-up. We have to see if Bernadina is going to be a starting OFer for us next season. The dude had a great year in the Minors and is only 23. We have to see if he's ready.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #178: September 05, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »
Potomac-Wilmington (top of the 9th Inning):  Martinez steps up to the plate and lines out for out #1.  The only two hits of the game for Potomac have been Burgess and Whiting.  Lyons and Lefave go down in order to send Josh Wilkie back out for the bottom of the 9th and the save!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #179: September 05, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
My point was that earlier you complained about having a minor league lineup out there tonight.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #180: September 05, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
Potomac-Wilmington (top of the 9th Inning):  Martinez steps up to the plate and lines out for out #1.  The only two hits of the game for Potomac have been Burgess and Whiting.  Lyons and Lefave go down in order to send Josh Wilkie back out for the bottom of the 9th and the save!
LET'S GO WILK! I'm listening on radio now too.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #181: September 05, 2008, 09:54:03 PM »
Hey we scored! A two run triple for langerhans.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #182: September 05, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
My point was that earlier you complained about having a minor league lineup out there tonight.
Bernadina should not be batting 6th regardless, not at this point in his career. I wouldn't mind seeing this line-up for the rest of the year:

1 - Bernadina LF
2 - Guzman SS
3 - Zimmerman 3B
4 - Milledge CF
5 - Dukes RF
6 - Casto/Young 1B
7 - Nieves C
8 - Bonifacio 2B

Let Harris fill in at 2B, and all of the OF spots.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #183: September 05, 2008, 09:55:43 PM »
Hey we scored! A two run triple for langerhans.

It looks like Eckstein (teh Einstein of hitting) has made an appearance in the Nats dugout. It was about time.  :clap:

I don't disagree with that lineup and I would recommend letting Bonifacio see a little time in the first hole from time to time to let him see what it looks and feels like.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #184: September 05, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
What? He's clearly more comfortable than he was during his first call-up. We have to see if Bernadina is going to be a starting OFer for us next season. The dude had a great year in the Minors and is only 23. We have to see if he's ready.
I thought he was 24.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #185: September 05, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »
P-NATS WIN AND SWEEP THE SERIES 3-0!!! THEY ARE HEADED TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

freakING AWESOME!!! WHAT A KICK ASS TEAM!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #186: September 05, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »
Potomac-Wilmington (bottom of the 9th):  Wilkie out for the bottom of the 9th, three outs away from advancing to the championship.  Wilkie gets ahead to 0-2 to Derrick Robinson, then finishes him off with two more pitches; two outs away.  With a full count against Paolo Orlando, Wilkie pulls out a breaking ball for strikeout #2 of the inning.  It is all down to Cody Strait (0-12 in the series) of the Blue Rocks now.  Strait pops up the ball for the final out, POTOMAC SWEEPS WILMINGTON!  Off to the Carolina League Championship!

Boomer Whiting gets my vote for player of the series for his efforts in helping the P-Nats get the runs that helped them win each game.  Dan Leatherman certainly gets some recognition for his 4.0 innings of relief in the first game.  Luis Atilano also should be mentioned for his fabulous start on Wednesday at Pftizner Stadium.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #187: September 05, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
Steal second Bernadina.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #188: September 05, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
Bernadina should not be batting 6th regardless, not at this point in his career. I wouldn't mind seeing this line-up for the rest of the year:

1 - Bernadina LF
2 - Guzman SS
3 - Zimmerman 3B
4 - Milledge CF
5 - Dukes RF
6 - Casto/Young 1B
7 - Nieves C
8 - Bonifacio 2B

Let Harris fill in at 2B, and all of the OF spots.
My good sir. Mr. Bernadina has done nothing wrong, thus far he hasn't forgot his books, slept in class, talked in class, not reading his book or worst of all! Been late because of a jammed locker!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #189: September 05, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Oh well. Sac fly Nieves. 5-10 now.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #190: September 05, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »
I thought he was 24.
yeah, you're right 24.

Detwiler is freaking clutch. He clinched the first half division title for the P-Nats, clinched the second half division title, and just now picked up the victory in the clinching Game 3.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #191: September 05, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »
My good sir. Mr. Bernadina has done nothing wrong, thus far he hasn't forgot his books, slept in class, talked in class, not reading his book or worst of all! Been late because of a jammed locker!

After one week of being back in school. it looks like BBQ's school supplies are already paste challenged.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #192: September 05, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »
yeah, you're right 24.

Detwiler is freaking clutch. He clinched the first half division title for the P-Nats, clinched the second half division title, and just now picked up the victory in the clinching Game 3.

What was his final line.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #193: September 05, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »
yeah, you're right 24.

The walks he was letting up could have been killer, he battled out of trouble the first time and had to let Severino battle for him the second time.  It could have been a lot worse for Detwiler, but I'll take the win.  Hopefully we can lean on Atilano/Arnesen/Detwiler for the championship instead of turning to Cole Kimball and Mandel.

Also, the 8 ground balls (to four fly outs) he induced were crucial.  Twice he got out of the inning with double plays because of the ground ball.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #194: September 05, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »
What was his final line.
5.1 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 5 BB 4 K 0 HR (Win).

Offline spidernat

« Reply #195: September 05, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
This was meant for Debbi Taylor but after seeing the 5 free passes yielded by Detwiler, it looks like he deserves one just for that.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #196: September 05, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
After one week of being back in school. it looks like BBQ's school supplies are already paste challenged.
Nah. Just my nagy English teachers' rules. Haven't broken any yet. Its hard not to sleep its my 7th period.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #197: September 05, 2008, 10:01:19 PM »
The walks he was letting up could have been killer, he battled out of trouble the first time and had to let Severino battle for him the second time.  It could have been a lot worse for Detwiler, but I'll take the win.  Hopefully we can lean on Atilano/Arnesen/Detwiler for the championship instead of turning to Cole Kimball and Mandel.
Severino is damn legit. He throws real hard. He's just got to throw strikes.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #198: September 05, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
Severino is damn legit. He throws real hard. He's just got to throw strikes.
Go Everts!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #199: September 05, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
yeah, you're right 24.

He walked 5 batters tonight.  He was lucky as freak.

lmfao @ BBQ