Author Topic: Way to solve the 4/5 Starter Situation  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Dave B

Way to solve the 4/5 Starter Situation
« Topic Start: September 07, 2005, 10:50:17 AM »
With the additions of Hughes, Bergmann and soon Rauch, the bullpen is even more awesome.  I find it hard to believe that any of the other WC contenders have benefitted as much as the Nats.  Really all we need out of Halama and the other 4/5 starter du jour is 3 innings.  I think Frank realizes this because he didnt try to get more out of rassner

starter - 3
pick 2 of rauch, bergmann, hughes (2 innings each)

that makes 7 innings and allows us to use the previous bullpen like before.
imagine if ayala can come back.
if you wanted to stretch it, you could ask for 2 innings from the starter.  
as an added bonus, you get to pinch hit for the pitcher's spot more.

the only problem is that the nats 4 and 5 go on consecutive days. it would be better if you could use the bullpen extensively with an long start in between, to rest them.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1: September 07, 2005, 11:49:05 AM »
Dave, I was thinking exactly what you stated, we've got a great bullpen, deep now, no reason not to just run 'em out for a few innings each.

Also, as you observed, let's pinch hit for them each time they come up, we could use 3 more quality at bats per game (oh boy, could we ever).

(Let's see, bottom of the 3rd, whould I rather have Halama or Short come to bat with 2 men on?  Hmmmmmm....)

We've got bats, we've got pinch runners, we've got infielders, outfielders, and bullpen.  NO EXCUSES.

Izarkrane

« Reply #2: September 07, 2005, 12:36:25 PM »
We've also got Guzman starting. That's excuse enough to lose.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #3: September 08, 2005, 08:50:16 AM »
Jon Rauch is capable of being a starting Pitcher.

When he is ready, he's my 4th Starter.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: September 08, 2005, 08:53:43 AM »
last night we saw the plan in action.  didnt work.  but now that we are going with a 4 man rotation, i think the 4th man should be the bullpen. i think  they can regroup. this was their "get it out of the system" night. they wont be asked to do this on back to back nights.

starting jon rauch is kinda like going with the bullpen .  I wouldnt expoect 6 innings from the guy because he was a long reliever before and he'soming offf surgery.  He had a torn labrum right? that seems like a speedy recovery.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: September 08, 2005, 09:35:05 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Jon Rauch is capable of being a starting Pitcher.

When he is ready, he's my 4th Starter.

I really like Rauch, but like Dave mentions, doubt his durability.  But we aint got much else....

Offline PC

« Reply #6: September 08, 2005, 11:39:58 AM »
Every team?s #4 and #5 pitchers stink.  A pitcher doesn?t get to four or five in the rotation by being good.  Winning games with these pitchers, mostly, requires luck and good decisions by the manager, even in the best of circumstances.

...of course, we only have luck to depend on.  :roll: