Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50768 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #550: December 10, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
What would the Royals trade for Mike Morse?  They could put Alex Gordon in RF and Morse in left.  Morse would be a big upgrade from Francoeur.  And Morse is relatively cheap which is important for the Royals. 

Not much left to trade

Offline Bloo

« Reply #551: December 10, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
What would the Royals trade for Mike Morse?  They could put Alex Gordon in RF and Morse in left.  Morse would be a big upgrade from Francoeur.  And Morse is relatively cheap which is important for the Royals. 
Not defensively he aint. Franceour has a rocket arm and Morse can rarely get his throws to homeplate.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #552: December 10, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »
Not to stir the pot here, but here is a very possible situation.

Would you rather have Mike Morse at 1B for the season and HRod in the pen or would you rather have LaRoche at 1B and a guy like Carter Capps replacing HRod?

I think Morse nets us Capps and maybe a less highly ranked starter prospect, perhaps Brandon Maurer?

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #553: December 11, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
Not to stir the pot here, but here is a very possible situation.

Would you rather have Mike Morse at 1B for the season and HRod in the pen or would you rather have LaRoche at 1B and a guy like Carter Capps replacing HRod?

I think Morse nets us Capps and maybe a less highly ranked starter prospect, perhaps Brandon Maurer?

That seems pretty optimistic. Maybe if the Ms get Hamilton then think "hey, may as well give this a real shot" then they will trade back for Morse.

I don't know, I don't see us getting too much for him, which is a shame.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #554: December 11, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »
You know what would be the best outcome: trade Span.   Just admit it was a bad idea.   Hey, I liked it at first but I didn't think through all the turmoil.  Apparently, neither did Rizzo. What could we get for Span?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #555: December 11, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »

From twitter...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #556: December 11, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
You know what would be the best outcome: trade Span.   Just admit it was a bad idea.   Hey, I liked it at first but I didn't think through all the turmoil.  Apparently, neither did Rizzo. What could we get for Span?
There's turmoil?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #557: December 11, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
I'm reading some sarcasm.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #558: December 11, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
I'm reading some sarcasm.
Nope.  I honestly believe we are better off with both Morse and LaRoche than just one of the two and Span, plus whatever we can get in trade for Morse (apparently little) or draft pick for LaRoche.    So I think we'd be better off had we not made the trade. (Plus, we'd still have Meyer.)

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #559: December 11, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
Morse gives away almost as much value with his defense in Left Field as he gains with his bat. Plus, I'm just tired of watching his defense out there.

Morse or LaRoche at first base is a more reasonable decision to contemplate. Looking at their careers, LaRoche is the safer choice with his steady, proven defense and patient approach. Looking at aging, anything over two years for LaRoche is asking for failure.

Plan A: LaRoche for 2 years
Plan B: Morse for one year, then Tyler Moore/ flexible future

Plan B has more potential upside if one or both improve defensively at the position the way LaRoche did in his career.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #560: December 11, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
Morse gives away almost as much value with his defense in Left Field as he gains with his bat. Plus, I'm just tired of watching his defense out there.

Morse or LaRoche at first base is a more reasonable decision to contemplate. Looking at their careers, LaRoche is the safer choice with his steady, proven defense and patient approach. Looking at aging, anything over two years for LaRoche is asking for failure.

Plan A: LaRoche for 2 years
Plan B: Morse for one year, then Tyler Moore/ flexible future

Plan B has more potential upside if one or both improve defensively at the position the way LaRoche did in his career.

Plan B also nets us a pick plus who says we can't re-sigm MM for another two years if TMo and Rendon are not ready.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #561: December 11, 2012, 01:06:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure Rizzo thought about it for quite some time as he's been trying to get Span for a couple of years.  I think he views the OF situation in a different way and sincerely believes that speed & defense are very important. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #562: December 11, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure Rizzo thought about it for quite some time as he's been trying to get Span for a couple of years.  I think he views the OF situation in a different way and sincerely believes that speed & defense are very important. 

I don't think Rizzo realistically assessed Morse's trade value.  I think his plan was: Trade for Span, trade Morse, sign LaRoche.  I'd be happy with that if we could get the value in return for Morse that we all think he's worth.  But we can't.

I continue to believe that there is an agreement with LaRoche which will be announced after the Morse trade.   The plan has stalled because he can't get the return on Morse that he expected.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #563: December 11, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
I continue to believe that there is an agreement with LaRoche which will be announced after the Morse trade.   The plan has stalled because he can't get the return on Morse that he expected.

I suggested something of the same thought awhile back. Pretty sure it was this thread.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #564: December 11, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »
Plan B also nets us a pick plus who says we can't re-sigm MM for another two years if TMo and Rendon are not ready.

We would also likely offer morse a qualifying offer so that could be another pick in the following draft.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #565: December 11, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
interesting tidbit from billy lorbledorb's inbox today

Do you think Michael Morse is a defensive liability in the outfield? If LaRoche signs with the Nats, what impact will that have on Morse?
-- Tom L., Santiago, Chile

No, I do not think Morse is a liability in the outfield.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #566: December 11, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
I've noticed the longer the ALR thing is unresolved, the % of voters wanting to keep him over Morse goes down.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #567: December 11, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
I've noticed the longer the ALR thing is unresolved, the % of voters wanting to keep him over Morse goes down.   

if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #568: December 11, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »
Time for Rizzo and the Nats and LaRoche to do their business or get off the pot.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #569: December 11, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »
Time for Rizzo and the Nats and LaRoche to do their business or get off the pot.
We're not even halfway through December.  We've got plenty of time and options.  Why the hurry?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #570: December 11, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
You have *got* to stop being so reasonable. :D
We're not even halfway through December.  We've got plenty of time and options.  Why the hurry?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #571: December 11, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Just a reminder:
1/14/10: LaRoche signs a one year deal with Arizona
1/4/11: LaRoche signs a 2 year deal with Washington

We've got time.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #572: December 11, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
While Michael Morse twists slowly slowly in the wind. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #573: December 11, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
We would also likely offer morse a qualifying offer so that could be another pick in the following draft.
I don't think it is likely that we would offer him a 1 year contract worth $13MM+.  that would close to double what he is getting.  I don't think he is that undervalued.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #574: December 11, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
While Michael Morse twists slowly slowly in the wind. 
He's under contract.  Not like he's going to be out of a job.