Author Topic: If clemens and bonds get into the hall of fame rose better be let in too!!!!  (Read 797 times)

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
cheating is worse than gambling.

End of post. Thats all folks.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I completely agree with that.

None of them should make it.  Period.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
None of them should make it.  Period.

yep. either all or none.

natsfan1a

Offline NatsAddict

I used to fully back Rose getting into the HOF.  Then I read the Dowd report.  There is no way any reasonable person could read the Dowd report and think Rose should be in the HOF.  He brought elements of organized crime into the clubhouse.  Fortunately, Rose was caught before it destroyed the game.

As for the betting on his own team, that too isn't necessarily a good thing.  For example, if he has a bet on a game, he would unnecessarily burn out his closer and then risk not have him available the next day when he really was needed.  Instead of winning two, he'd sacrifice one to line his pockets.

Cheating blemishes the game.  Organized crime could have destroyed the integrity of the game.  It would have made baseball as worthless as pro wrestling as a "competitive" sport.  As despicable as Bonds is, you are unfairly bringing him down when putting him in the same lot as Rose.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
As for the betting on his own team, that too isn't necessarily a good thing.  For example, if he has a bet on a game, he would unnecessarily burn out his closer and then risk not have him available the next day when he really was needed.  Instead of winning two, he'd sacrifice one to line his pockets.

I didn't read the Dowd report so I can't comment on that. But one of the biggest issues with his gambling was not as much when he bet on his team but when he didn't bet on his team. That would seem to me to serve as an indicator as when he was sure his team would not win or had no chance to win.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
I agree - they are no better than Rose.  They should all be stripped of recognition IMO.

I just really feel sad for the record holders of the past that had all their records surpassed by chemicals.   :(

nospinzone1

Offline NatsAddict

Isn't Mike Greenwell, who came in 2nd to Canseco for th '88 MVP, now suing or seeking to somehow otherwise be recognized as the MVP?

What baseball really needs is a real commissioner that will come in and address the records, etc.  I hated Mitchell's comment to do nothing to 2012 (actually, he said the next CBA, but that's 2012). I wouldn't mind Vicent coming back.  Bob Costas might be a decent commish.  And, under the circumstance, I'd like to see the commish say the current CBA is BS as it actually limits the penalties.  Previously, for a 1st offense, Kuhn suspended Howe for a full year.  The 2nd time, Vincent banned him (he got back in under Selig, who agreed Howe needed cocaine as a treatment for ADD).  In short, the penalties were more severe then than they are now.  Selig weakened the rules, and sold it as cracking down, and most people fell for his lie.

Offline NatsAddict

In short, the penalties were more severe then than they are now.  Selig weakened the rules, and sold it as cracking down, and most people fell for his lie.

I guess I should make a correction.  Penalties were more severe with commissioners that weren't ball-less wonders.

I've heard a TV report that Congress is going to have hearings again.  With the anti-trust exemption, I don't see where they can actually enforce anything.  At best, they can tell MLB to do x, y and z or there will be hearings on the anti-trust.   If x, y, or z is removing Selig and getting an independent commish, that will be a step in the right direction.  If that isn't part of the influence of  influence, Congress will likely make things worse if it does anything at all besides trying to create soundbites.