Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44013 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Strasburg in October..
« Topic Start: April 19, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

@MikeFerrinSXM Good discussion on Strasburg. #Nats must schedule him so that he can pitch in Sept and Oct if necessary.

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

I agree that #Nats need to be cautious with him. But this is the major leagues. The goal is to win.

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

If the #Nats make the playoffs and Strasburg doesn't pitch, it will be a crying shame for the team's fans and the sport.

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

This is a very winnable division for the #Nats. It's time for that organization to win. And for them to win, Strasburg needs to pitch.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #1: April 19, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
So what's he saying, we should pace out his starts so he pitches in October, or that we should ride that horse till he drops?

Either point is brain dead.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: April 19, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
Sports writer cliche number 1 winning is everything (while conviently ignoring future seasons)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3: April 19, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
Sports writer cliche number 1 winning is everything (while conviently ignoring future seasons)

But think about the 2017 playoffs.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #4: April 19, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
God I'm tired of this conversation.  It seems like that is all the talking heads want to discuss when talking about the nationals.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: April 19, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
God I'm tired of this conversation.  It seems like that is all the talking heads want to discuss when talking about the nationals.

At least it's not the inverted W.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #6: April 19, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
So what's he saying, we should pace out his starts so he pitches in October, or that we should ride that horse till he drops?

Either point is brain dead.

Yeah, by all means, let's pile 220 IP on an arm that's never thrown more than 110.  Then, when he develops bursitis or tears his rotator cuff or busts his UCL again, everybody can go on and on about how the dreadful "Inverted W" is the death-knell for pitchers and how we all knew he was going to be Mark Prior.

If we make the playoffs this year, we do it because we got enough wins out of Stras' 160 in the first 2/3 of the season so that the rotation of Gio, ZNN, EJax, Wang and Detwiler could maintain the lead Stras handed them.  And we win in the playoffs if we get lucky. Trading a shot in 2012 for increased risk to Stras in 2013-2017 is maybe the worst baseball/business/health/career decision I've ever heard.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #7: April 19, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

I adhere to that cliche, and yet somehow I disagree with Morosi.  It just goes too far beyond good sense. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #8: April 19, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
More like Jon Moron-i?

Any way we can settle on one thread for the Strasburg innings limit discussion?

I think with the combination of TJ and the fact that he has never been stretched out it would be a mistake to try and pitch him 200 innings this year. TJ + Never having pitched a full professional season + whatever caused his injury in the first place + suddenly stretching him out to 200+ innings = another injury, be it immediately or next season or in the future.

If this was the end of our competition window instead of the start, maybe I could stretch my imagination to believe that the better business decision would be to stretch him out and take our shot this year.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #9: April 19, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
If we make the playoffs he has to pitch. Long ways to go but Rizzo and Co. need to be creative and figure something out.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #10: April 19, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Really this conversation is immaterial because the Nats would NEVER do that.

He's pitching every 5 days until his 160 innings are up. They he's being shut down. The only way that changes is if there's a rain out.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #11: April 19, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Any way we can settle on one thread for the Strasburg innings limit discussion?

If you link me to the others I'll sort it out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: April 19, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »
If we make the playoffs he has to pitch. Long ways to go but Rizzo and Co. need to be creative and figure something out.

Maybe they can ask Mark Prior for guidance...

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #13: April 19, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
If you link me to the others I'll sort it out.

I guess it's a little different. http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26232.0 I thought there was another one or two but maybe threads just went off-topic.

I do assume there will be a billion of these threads as we approach his shut-down.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #14: April 19, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

This. 

Offline panthers30

« Reply #15: April 19, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »
I'm confident enough in the rest of our rotation to not risk Strasburg's future.

That said, I wouldn't be too upset if they spaced out his starts in case of a playoff run.  I am, however, completely against the idea of pushing him past his innings limit even though chances are he could handle going a few extra games.  Just not worth the risk.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #16: April 19, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
Rizzo was on XM yesterday and reiterated for the umpteenth time that they are not going to push Strasburg regardless of where we are in the standings.  He wouldn't commit to the 160 cap though, but he said there's no way Strasburg is going 200 innings. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #17: April 19, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »
Totally against the idea of putting him at risk for a one season shot, makes no sense,

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #18: April 19, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
Rizzo was on XM yesterday and reiterated for the umpteenth time that they are not going to push Strasburg regardless of where we are in the standings.  He wouldn't commit to the 160 cap though, but he said there's no way Strasburg is going 200 innings. 

He wouldn't commit to the 160 limit b/c it's a media creation.  Rizzo has never said Stras is on an explicit innings limit. 

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #19: April 19, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
He wouldn't commit to the 160 limit b/c it's a media creation.  Rizzo has never said Stras is on an explicit innings limit.

Yeah, sure he's not.  Just like ZNN wasn't on a 160 inning limit.  See?  He pitched 161!

He's going to be limited somewhere in that neighborhood.  If he has to make one extra start to get to 165 or so to qualify for ERA trophies/CY, etc. then so be it, but there's no way he goes far north of 170.

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #20: April 19, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
If his innings limit is set at 160 then so be it.   I wouldn't want to risk any further injury to a man who will be the mainstay of this pitching staff for years to come.  This team is moving towards being a PERENNIAL playoff contender and I'd rather have Strasburg around during those years as opposed to going all or nothing this one season.  Once he gets past the immediate TJ surgery recovery, THEN we can ride that horse all the way into early and late October if possible.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #21: April 19, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Do you guys think Stras will enjoy being told to sit out the postseason.  Do you think the other players on the team will enjoy it?  Do you think the fans will be happy?  This is not a simple decision, and there are risks to the team's future either way. 

My opinion, FWIW, is that we have 7 competent starters on the 40 man roster.   With this many arms it shouldn't be hard to give Stras (and J. Zim for that matter) a few breaks here and there so that they can pitch into October if necessary.

BTW, pitching in the postseason doesn't necessary mean 40 more innings.  It only means that much more if the team makes it to the World Series  And if that happens, who here wouldn't want to see Stras in Game 6 or 7 no matter how many innings he has pitched over the whole season?  I'd pitch him if he'd thrown 300 innings already.   

Teams pitch stars on three days rest with regularity in the playoffs.  Do you think that imposes no risk on their future?  Eventually you gotta roll the dice and put it on the line...

My opinion:
A) I don't believe Rizzo when he says they won't figure out something to get Stras pitching in the playoffs if we make it
B) If Rizzo goes ahead and shuts down Stras without trying to do anything creative to get him to the playoffs, then that is a dumb move by Rizzo. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #22: April 19, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Stammen and CMW split time as the 5th starter, I guess, once Stras is shut down.  Maybe sprinkle in some Gorzledust.

Is Detwiler on an innings limit too?  He's never pitched a ton of innings either.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #23: April 19, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
But think about the 2017 playoffs.

Or we can destroy him like the Cubs did with Prior and Woods.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #24: April 19, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
This is already getting pretty Leo Davidson, but I'll just add that it's possible that they have had a gentlemen's agreement with Boras/Strasburg ever since he signed that he would be handled in a certain way.