Author Topic: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS  (Read 17145 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: The Strasburg Mistake
« Reply #25: October 10, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »
Strasburg was the #1 topic I heard walking around on a bathroom run in the third.  My next run in the seventh it was weirdly silent, bunch of guys queued up to take a leak and not a word being spoken.  Today ranks up there with the opening day game against Philly as the most disappointing loses this team has had.

Yeah

I really feel for the people who were there today - you were all awesome. Totally electric, totally into it. The scene on TV was amazing.

Sorry the game sucked so bad

Offline Coladar

« Reply #26: October 10, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »

A 0-0 game or a blowout in the second inning. Those guys were dead and defeated today, almost every single one of them. Being in a game makes a difference. For us? And for the Cards. They were cruising, robbing hits from us and getting cowboy Joe's close calls. The score effects the effort. You can't say it doesn't. Strasburg pitching and we aren't down four runs after we had only made three outs.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #27: October 10, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
A 0-0 game or a blowout in the second inning. Those guys were dead and defeated today, almost every single one of them. Being in a game makes a difference. For us? And for the Cards. They were cruising, robbing hits from us and getting cowboy Joe's close calls. The score effects the effort. You can't say it doesn't. Strasburg pitching and we aren't down four runs after we had only made three outs.

Or we're down 8 runs after the 2nd inning with Strasburg pitching - he wasn't right down the stretch of the 2nd half. All the hoping and wishing and prodding and pleading doesn't change the fact that he was erratic at best in his last several starts.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #28: October 10, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »

30 men left on base in three games?     If the score affects the effort then they should be parking cars.  I don't necessarily disagree but it could have been 4-4 as well as 0-0.   We'll get 'em tomorrow.   I'll be there and be loud.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #29: October 10, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
Yeah

I really feel for the people who were there today - you were all awesome. Totally electric, totally into it. The scene on TV was amazing.

Beer was cold and it beat working all afternoon.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #30: October 10, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
Beer was cold and it beat working all afternoon.

LOL

Good for you

Offline Coladar

« Reply #31: October 10, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
30 men left on base in three games?     If the score affects the effort then they should be parking cars.

That may well be the case, perhaps they should be the valet in Lot A. Doesn't change the fact that if you watched the game, those guys were dead in the dugout from the third on. First playoff game at home, down only four runs, there is no excuse. I think every single one of them that wasn't a 1000% into it should be parking cars. That doesn't mean they were into the game, because they weren't. So it's either because they'd rather be working on winter tans, or the score took them out of the game. For all our sakes, I know which one I'm going with.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #32: October 10, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
That may well be the case, perhaps they should be the valet in Lot A. Doesn't change the fact that if you watched the game, those guys were dead in the dugout from the third on. First playoff game at home, down only four runs, there is no excuse. I think every single one of them that wasn't a 1000% into it should be parking cars. That doesn't mean they were into the game, because they weren't. So it's either because they'd rather be working on winter tans, or the score took them out of the game. For all our sakes, I know which one I'm going with.

Morse was tying run at the plate early on in that game - they had every chance to make it a game and didn't take advantage. Pitching wasn't the only problem . Guys need to swing the bats like they're capable

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #33: October 10, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
yes he should be pitching.  no guarantee we're in playoffs next year.

but he doesn't change the fact we've only scored 7 damn runs in 3 playoff games.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: October 10, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »

As amended above, I don't necessarily disagree with you.   If your pitching ain't workin' you gotta hit the ball.   We've had our chances.    The pitching picked up the offense in May and now it's time for the offense to pick up the pitching.   My goodness, I got the willies reading your comment.   I kept thinking about the Caps.    Brrrrrrr

Offline Coladar

« Reply #35: October 10, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
Morse was tying run at the plate early on in that game - they had every chance to make it a game and didn't take advantage. Pitching wasn't the only problem . Guys need to swing the bats like they're capable

What I'm saying is it wasn't even just the swings, it was their attitude. They were defeated. There was no excitement. No smiles in the dugout, no chatter. They were zombies, Lannan chief among them. I swear the dude was staring at me more than he was the game. I'd say it was the hot chick beside me, except there were none anywhere around. Yes, he never even entered the game, but it is an example of the entire team's level of... not just excitement, it was like they were in agony being forced to be there. Not all of them, as I said, but most? Heck yeah.

So if you're saying that is not a result of the score, and I could understand and possibly agree with arguments it wasn't, there's a hell of a lot bigger issues to deal with.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #36: October 10, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Colador, I'd be really interested in a more specific breakdown of who you thought was in the game/not in the game based on what you observed.  If possible.  THanks!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: October 10, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
Colador, I'd be really interested in a more specific breakdown of who you thought was in the game/not in the game based on what you observed.  If possible.  THanks!

Me too Colador.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #38: October 10, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
What I'm saying is it wasn't even just the swings, it was their attitude. They were defeated. There was no excitement. No smiles in the dugout, no chatter. They were zombies, Lannan chief among them. I swear the dude was staring at me more than he was the game. I'd say it was the hot chick beside me, except there were none anywhere around. Yes, he never even entered the game, but it is an example of the entire team's level of... not just excitement, it was like they were in agony being forced to be there. Not all of them, as I said, but most? Heck yeah.

So if you're saying that is not a result of the score, and I could understand and possibly agree with arguments it wasn't, there's a hell of a lot bigger issues to deal with.

Yeah

I can't speak to any of that. Don't know why the Nats would give up down 4 runs when they've come back in games all year, including a just the other day against the Cardinals

Maybe' they're just nervous and that's why they're not smiling

I dunno :shrug:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: October 10, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »

DJ needs to  :whip: :whip: :whip:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #40: October 10, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »
In the middle of the season, if I missed a game I would always be a bit surprised if I found out we lost.  I just had that feeling every night that no matter the matchup there was a good chance we'd win.  The past month or so I haven't had that feeling. 

Offline grizzly

« Reply #41: October 10, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
In the middle of the season, if I missed a game I would always be a bit surprised if I found out we lost.  I just had that feeling every night that no matter the matchup there was a good chance we'd win.  The past month or so I haven't had that feeling. 

Couldn't agree more.  This feels like a completely different team than the one in the middle of the season.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #42: October 10, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
I really feel for the people who were there today

I was there today and it sucked a lot less than my desk and computer!  I would have loved a different result, but how can it be a bad day on a beautiful October afternoon in a ball park???

I honestly think there are a couple of things going on here.  I really do believe the inexperience is showing up, the pressure is getting to them to some degree and has been for a while.  Only three guys are hitting well.  Zim, who is clearly hurting, and Werth are hitting near their respective career averages, and if we pull it out, I think Desmond would be the MVP right now (.583/.583/.667  OPS+ of 1.250...wow!)  However, the Beast is proving he's not Mr Clutch in his first post-season, and it shouldn't be a shock that young guys like Espi and Bryce are struggling in their first playoffs.  Adam is the biggest let down so far in the series, but he's been streaky his entire career.  To me the key is getting Adam, Bryce, Desi, and Morse hitting anything close to their season averages.  We are 3 for 24 with RISP (.125) with 30 LOB in 3 games, if you don't score, you can't win. 

I think the pitching is just plain worn out.  Zimmermann and Detwiler are well above their previous high in innings pitched and Gio is within a couple of innings.  Jackson just plain folds in the post-season, no surprise there.  IMHO, Straus would be wilting too, he was very inconsistent in his last few starts.

Put this against a seasoned, strong Cardinals team, and you get games like today and Sunday, but...

These guys have all now seen it and they've been resilient all season.  If Det can get a good start tomorrow, I'm sure Gio will come back strong on Friday...he's not the kind of guy to allow himself to have two straight starts like his last one.  We need to start hitting!!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #43: October 10, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
his offense might help.

Fair enough.

You know, we could always put Laroche on the DL and play Strasburg at 1B ...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: October 10, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »

Nice Bucco

Offline Displaced Bucco

« Reply #45: October 10, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #46: October 10, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
I've never made a thread before on WNFF.  But this is needed.  Not getting Strasburg on the playoff rotation was a HUGE mistake.  Rizzo has got us a damn good team I'll give him that.  Any reasonable analysis says there is a really good chance we will make the playoffs a bunch over the next couple years, and maybe even win a World Series or two or three. 

But Rizzo has flucked up BIG TIME with Strasburg this year.  I don't want to hear any excuses.  When Rizza have a talent like Strasburg he has to get him to the playoffs.  I'm just an average Joe like the rest of you and I can come up with 3 or 4 different ways the Nats could have done it this year.  Rizzo gets paid a hell of a lot of money to assemble the BEST team possible.  A team without Strasburg was a disgrace to the fans, not to mention the LaRoches, Tracys and DeRosas who  might not see some of the projected glory years down the road. 

No, the series isn't over.  In fact Detwiler has a better then decent chance tomorrow, and Gio has already beat Wainright.  I hope this post gets mocked mercilessly for years after we pull out this series and then go on to win our first WS.  But right now, we are down 2-1 and I blame one person and one person only.  MIKE RIZZO.  Thanks for nothing Mike!!!
Oh good god almighty.

You telling me Strasburg throws a complete game shutout with a home run mixed in?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: October 10, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
I see 1970

I was in the Army.   I was busy.   :P   

Offline Displaced Bucco

« Reply #48: October 10, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »
I was in the Army.   I was busy.   :P

I was in Jr High. 

Thanks for your service at a very tough time.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #49: October 10, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
Yeah

yeah i was there and am fuming for the product we are forced to see.