Author Topic: Your card is your ticket to the game  (Read 23327 times)

Offline beerandyams

Re: Your card is your ticket to the game
« Reply #25: August 21, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »

If I can't or don't want to go to a game, I can print the tickets myself to that specific game and sell them on STUBHUB.

Correct?

Well with some NBA teams using paperless tickets that isn't the case. Season ticket holders can't even print the tickets out, only transfer them to someone else's card, credit card, or ID. There isn't even anything to print out if you are using the tickets yourself.

And those season ticket holders therefore aren't able to sell on Stubhub, only the team's "official online resale marketplace". Which is fine, unless of course they place a ceiling on the price you sell the tickets for, or even worse a floor (so you don't undercut the box office). This would make it impossible to re-sell less popular games since you wouldn't be able to price them to sell. If the Nationals choose, they'll have a monopoly on ticket resale and can make any rules they want. They'll also be able to charge buyers and/or sellers any kind of fees they want if they are the only resale vehicle available. NBA teams are already doing this.

Now if they choose not to place restrictive rules on resale and transferability (and don't gig buyers or sellers on fees) these won't be issues. But so far I haven't been able to get details and it seems like they don't even know the details yet.