Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 171125 times)

Offline NATSCSMGR

• Greetings From Nationals Park!
Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)
« Topic Start: November 10, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »
Hello Everyone! I am going to attempt to answer your non-baseball operations related questions (NOT why dont you sign so-and-so, why did you trade so-and-so, etc.) about Nationals Park! I cant promise I can answer every question personally, but I am willing to give it a go!

Give me shout!

Offline NatsDad14

Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #1: November 10, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Any plans to get rid of the statues in the front of the park that are an eyesore? Could the Nats get new statues instead?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2: November 10, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »
Early concept pictures showed a giant baseball (  :woop:   :clap: ) or a baseball glove (  :spaz: ) above the Red Loft, yet after several years it remains an empty space. What happened to our giant baseball?

On another note, I may well be in the minority but I like the statues. :thumbs:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: November 10, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Hello Everyone! I am going to attempt to answer your non-baseball operations related questions (why dont you sign so-and-so, why did you trade so-and-so, etc.) about Nationals Park! I cant promise I can answer every question personally, but I am willing to give it a go!

Give me shout!

Is there any plans to continue to expand the food selections? Or is the ballpark comfortable with the mix they have now?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: November 10, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
Any plans to get rid of the statues in the front of the park that are an eyesore? Could the Nats get new statues instead?

I'm pretty sure those were placed there by the DC Arts Commission (or whatever it is called) as part of the lease agreement with MLB and the Nats, and outside the control of the Nats.

Offline NATSCSMGR

« Reply #5: November 10, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

I'm assuming that you are talking about the statues at the Center Field Gate. The DC Creates Public Arts Program and the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities commissioned and placed these peices of public art at Nationals Park. Currently there is no plan on replacing them.

Thanks for the question!

Offline NATSCSMGR

« Reply #6: November 10, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
Early concept pictures showed a giant baseball (  :woop:   :clap: ) or a baseball glove (  :spaz: ) above the Red Loft, yet after several years it remains an empty space. What happened to our giant baseball?

On another note, I may well be in the minority but I like the statues. :thumbs:

I'll have to look into that. As soon as I get any information I'll pass it along!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: November 10, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
What has the organization learned from what happened on Opening Day and the running out of cups before the game started?

Will supplies be adequately stocked this time around?

Offline NATSCSMGR

« Reply #8: November 10, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
Is there any plans to continue to expand the food selections? Or is the ballpark comfortable with the mix they have now?

We are always looking into different and exciting food selectons here at the ballpark. Unfortunately, nothing that I can talk about today, but keep checking Nationals.com as soon as something (if anything) is announced, it will be there first!

Offline NATSCSMGR

« Reply #9: November 10, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
What has the organization learned from what happened on Opening Day and the running out of cups before the game started?

Will supplies be adequately stocked this time around?

I'm not aware of this situation. Would you be willing to send me an email with more information so I can look into it at gamedaystaff@nationals.com?

Thanks!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: November 10, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
Stickying this thread.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: November 10, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
What are the development plans for the gas station and other lots directly across from the CF gates?  Also, any plans for more kid activities in the family fun zone. That area seems under utilized.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: November 10, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »
What are the development plans for the gas station and other lots directly across from the CF gates?  Also, any plans for more kid activities in the family fun zone. That area seems under utilized.

Gas station?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: November 10, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
Gas station?

I believe he's referring to the one that's vacant next to the Bullpen.

Offline NATSCSMGR

« Reply #14: November 10, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »

The lots across from the Center Field Gates are still in the planning stages. The old gas station on the corner of South Capitol and N street is still part of the Akridge at Half Street Residential project that is scheduled to open sometime in 2013. (according to their website) You can get the most up-to-date information on projects by the ballpark by visiting the Capitol Riverfront Development's website at http://www.capitolriverfront.org/development/by-type

As far as the "Family Fun Zone" is concerned, we are looking at several different opportunites for the space, however, nothing has been determined as of yet.

Thanks for the question!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #15: November 10, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »
Cheers to csmgr and the FO for joining us and providing info!

Offline heeman82

« Reply #16: November 10, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
I am looking to decorate my yard next spring in a "Nats" motif.  What type of flowers are planted above the left field wall?

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #17: November 10, 2011, 05:03:17 PM »
I sent a recommendation to the team last season that they get rid of the submarine horn and show fireworks with the volume turned up on the big HD screen if they can't use real fireworks.  Any chance of that happening next season?

Offline imref

« Reply #18: November 10, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
I believe he's referring to the one that's vacant next to the Bullpen.

yeah, it's a run down BP station next to the bullpen, a complete eyesore.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #19: November 10, 2011, 06:19:19 PM »
I sent a recommendation to the team last season that they get rid of the submarine horn and show fireworks with the volume turned up on the big HD screen if they can't use real fireworks.  Any chance of that happening next season?

Just adding I agree 100%. The submarine horn is awful in comparison to fireworks, almost every major league park uses fireworks and being in DC, fireworks should be a mandatory thing. The horn was a unique idea and worth trying, but it just doesn't work. And that's clearly the majority opinion. I know a few people prefer the horn, but far, far more want the fireworks after a HR or win, and during the national anthem. They just have to come back in 2012.

Also, what news is there about bringing back Friday night fireworks? Everyone enjoyed them, and before I became a STH, I'd make sure I went to Friday games versus other nights for the fireworks show. This really, really, really needs to make a return in 2012. It just isn't the same without the fireworks show. It was an awesome display, and everyone seemed to enjoy it greatly. The fact we only had what, one or two the entirety of last season was a massive disappointment and needs to be rectified.

And as others already said, thanks for taking the time to register here and answer these questions. It is greatly appreciated having a team employee and representative answering questions on here and available to talk with. So many, many thanks.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #20: November 10, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
The submarine horn is awful in comparison to fireworks, almost every major league park uses fireworks.

At first I agreed with this but over time the horn grew on me.  Ahhhhhhhoooooooooggggggggaaaaaahhhhhh   aaahhhhhooooooooggggggaaaahhhhhh  aaahhhhoooooggggggaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!  Home run another curly W in the books!  The only thing I didn't like was that it drowned out Bustin Loose.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #21: November 10, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
The only thing I didn't like was that it drowned out Bustin Loose.

Yes, that is my major issue with the sub horn, too. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: November 10, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
Just adding I agree 100%. The submarine horn is awful in comparison to fireworks, almost every major league park uses fireworks and being in DC, fireworks should be a mandatory thing.

Why, to commemorate the defeat in the battle of Bladensburg?

Maybe the cowardly spiking of the guns at Fort Washington?

Baltimore, I get it.  DC, not so much.

Offline imref

« Reply #23: November 10, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
Just adding I agree 100%. The submarine horn is awful in comparison to fireworks, almost every major league park uses fireworks and being in DC, fireworks should be a mandatory thing.

wouldn't small arms fire be more appropriate?  After each HR a few guys stand on top of the press box with Glocks and fire a dozen rounds into the air!

Offline imref

« Reply #24: November 10, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
serious question - the D.C. area is know for its ethnic food - Ethiopian, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.  When can we see some of this ethnic "flair" reflected in the eateries in the park? 

To add to that, how about engaging with Jose Andres to create a few eateries?