Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 171128 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #600: October 15, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
Do you mean a pub? A brew pub would require that place to be doubled or tripled in size to fit the brewery part of the brew pub.

I've been running some Google searches on this and so far no hits, it might have been something I heard during the ballpark tour I took back in 2008, that the original plans for the Red Porch were to have it open year round and to have a brew pub at the park.  I'd never thought about the logistics of where they would stick the brewery, but they certainly have some room to expand the Porch outward.  They could also put the brewery in the seating area that used to be the Sony Playstation area and run tap lines over to the bars.  If it were my call, I'd put the brew kegs up on top of the Red Loft where the giant baseball was supposed to go.

Walking to the games last week past the new apartments that are shooting up I started thinking about the unfinished plans to open up the ballpark year round.  Imagine the business they could do with corporate Christmas parties.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #601: October 15, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
Last season the general sale began 8th March; there was a pre-sale for incumbent STH on 23rd-26th February. It'll probably be sometime round those dates.

I've been meaning to make a spreadsheet of all of the offseason announcements and the dates on which they occurred in past years.  When are STH packages mailed out, when are single game seats available, when is the spring training schedule announced...  I'll try to work on this at some point in the near future.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #602: October 16, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
PB, I was thinking about that giant baseball when folks were talking about the Red Porch becoming a brweru before you posted. Last I remember about three years ago, it was still promised to come in the offseason.

Clearly it ain't, and it got canceled. But have they ever explained wtf happened? I'm not sure if it would have ended up gimicky or not, but I thought it sounded cool five years ago. Not like it would have cost that much, so I'm not sure what the hooplah was about installing it.

Wasn't it supposed to rotate or something, or do something when we hit a HR? Or am I just recalling idle speculation and fan fantasies?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #603: October 16, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
PB, I was thinking about that giant baseball when folks were talking about the Red Porch becoming a brweru before you posted. Last I remember about three years ago, it was still promised to come in the offseason.

Clearly it ain't, and it got canceled. But have they ever explained wtf happened? I'm not sure if it would have ended up gimicky or not, but I thought it sounded cool five years ago. Not like it would have cost that much, so I'm not sure what the hooplah was about installing it.

Wasn't it supposed to rotate or something, or do something when we hit a HR? Or am I just recalling idle speculation and fan fantasies?

The baseball was just a place holder in the artist's renderings, they are waiting to get a sponsor for naming rights to the ballpark before putting something up there.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #604: October 16, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Wow, time altered that in my mind then. I could have sworn they had promised it would be installed one of the first offseasons, but since I don't remember it being a place holder my memory is clearly compromised on the issue.

I've said it a hundred times, may we never sell the naming rights to the park. Nats Park, or a few million a year to have another travesty like Jiffy Lube Pavilion is an easy call.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #605: October 16, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
Wow, time altered that in my mind then. I could have sworn they had promised it would be installed one of the first offseasons, but since I don't remember it being a place holder my memory is clearly compromised on the issue.

I've said it a hundred times, may we never sell the naming rights to the park. Nats Park, or a few million a year to have another travesty like Jiffy Lube Pavilion is an easy call.

So you'd be against WB Mason Park with a statue of their spokesman on top of the Loft?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #606: October 16, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »
So you'd be against WB Mason Park with a statue of their spokesman on top of the Loft?

Ugh, don't make me think about their godawful commercials with eight year olds acting like adults to advertise office supplies.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #607: October 16, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »

Why do we need W. B. Mason at all (that sign on the outfield fence)? This isn't Fenway Park.

[remember back in 2008 when those protesters were in Half street handing out items saying that the Nats were going to sell the naming rights to ExxonMobil and telling of all the baleful effects that would bring?]

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #608: October 16, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
Ugh, don't make me think about their godawful commercials with eight year olds acting like adults to advertise office supplies.

Perhaps they'll sell naming rights to the bar and it will become the "Luna Loft"

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #609: October 17, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
Why do we need W. B. Mason at all (that sign on the outfield fence)? This isn't Fenway Park.

Or Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Camden Yards, Citizens Bank Park

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #610: October 17, 2012, 08:05:22 AM »
Diamond Club was awesome at the end of the 2011 season. People were selling those for $75 a pop. All you can eat booze and food plus great seats behind home plate? Easily made my money back

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #611: October 17, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »

They'll neva, neVA, NEVA!!! put that woman up there.

:hang:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #612: October 20, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »

Just put a giant mustache up there...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #613: October 20, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
Just put a giant mustache up there...

Only if they have the Nats Pack girls climb up there for a ride.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #614: November 11, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
When is the first Nats STHer event of the off season going to be announced? I'm holding my schedule open.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #615: January 21, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »
Have the Nats reached the 20,000 season ticket limit yet? I was thinking of expanding my plan but I'm assuming that all of the available tickets are gone.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #616: January 30, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
This merits warning again closer to the season, but I'll post it now anyway: Tomorrow night (January 30) the eastbound Southwest–Southeast Freeway will close between the 11th Street Bridge exit and the Sousa Bridge. This is the segment that runs downhill and then splits with the left lane going through a short tunnel to access Lot 8 at RFK and the right two lanes feeding onto the Sousa Bridge. It will not re-open until mid- to late 2014, if then, after they've reconfigured it into an at-grade boulevard.

This matters for people who leave Nationals Park by car and head for US-50 towards Annapolis, the BW Parkway northbound, or Pennsylvania Avenue towards PG County. You'll have to take the 11th Street Bridge (outbound I-695) and then take the new exit on the right that leads to northbound DC-295.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #617: January 30, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »
We'll see when my TomTom picks up this change.  "stay in the left lane, then take the right exit onto Pennsylvania Avenue."  It was completely mystified by the construction heading south on 295.

Offline irishnat

« Reply #618: January 31, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
Hi guys - I'm an Irish (!) Nats fan - I lived in DC for a bit last year and got hooked. I'm coming back in April for a week and hoping to catch a few games. I'm looking on Stubhub now and have a question about CF Reserved 100 seats - what do you think of them? I've never sat in CF (usually in the Corners/Baselines) but thought CF would be an interesting perspective for a newbie!

Thanks

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #619: January 31, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
Hi guys - I'm an Irish (!) Nats fan - I lived in DC for a bit last year and got hooked. I'm coming back in April for a week and hoping to catch a few games. I'm looking on Stubhub now and have a question about CF Reserved 100 seats - what do you think of them? I've never sat in CF (usually in the Corners/Baselines) but thought CF would be an interesting perspective for a newbie!

Thanks

I've got mixed feelings on those seats, the first time I sat there I didn't like being so far from the action in the infield, the second time I wasn't sure why I disliked them so much the first time. Wide padded seating is nice, great spot to heckle the opposing bull pen, in seat service is nice if you want that. Overall, given the choice I prefer the pricey seats behind the dugouts or the best bargain 300 level seats around the infield.

Offline irishnat

« Reply #620: January 31, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
I've got mixed feelings on those seats, the first time I sat there I didn't like being so far from the action in the infield, the second time I wasn't sure why I disliked them so much the first time. Wide padded seating is nice, great spot to heckle the opposing bull pen, in seat service is nice if you want that. Overall, given the choice I prefer the pricey seats behind the dugouts or the best bargain 300 level seats around the infield.

Great advice, much appreciated.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #621: February 05, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
I personally think the Red Porch has the second best seats in the house. Great site lines, excellent perspective (players perspective) of the ball field and good fun.

Offline machpost

« Reply #622: February 06, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »

Thanks

We sat in the outfield 100-level seats just in front of the Red Porch restaurant for a 1 PM game in early April a couple seasons back, and other than the hail storm that delayed the game, a thing I still remember is that we were facing the sun for much of the afternoon, and it created an uncomfortable glare that became a big distraction.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #623: February 07, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
We'll see when my TomTom picks up this change.  "stay in the left lane, then take the right exit onto Pennsylvania Avenue."  It was completely mystified by the construction heading south on 295.

I drove over the 11th Street Bridge and the new ramp yesterday. If you're headed to Pennsylvania Avenue SE, you need to stay to the RIGHT on the bridge (either of the two right lanes will do). Staying to the left takes you onto southbound I-295 towards the Wilson Bridge. You'll merge onto northbound DC-295 on the LEFT, however, and you'll need to move all the way to the right if you want outbound Pennsylvania. Prepare for backups—I found a lot of doofuses who think "EXIT ONLY" means "shortcut lane for people to drive down to the gore point and then try to shove left." Jackasses.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #624: February 07, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
Used the TomTom to get to Annapolis last Saturday, and of course, reasonably, it did not have the new lane configuration.

Can anyone figure out why, when heading east, the right lanes go north and the left lanes go south?   Is there an engineer who liked knots as a kid and wanted to make some out concrete?