Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 171114 times)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #475: August 14, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
DO IT!  I bought 2 seats in a partial plan for this year, but I've only been in "my" seats for maybe 5 games.  I've done a bunch of exchanges or RCR to take my entire family or a group friends to about 20 games so far this season.  I have a feeling exchanges/RCR will get a tad more difficult due to availability as the STH base gets bigger.

Ok that sounds great. I might have to invest in 1/4 season tickets for 2013, especially if I can exchange them to get more tickets.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #476: August 14, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Ok that sounds great. I might have to invest in 1/4 season tickets for 2013, especially if I can exchange them to get more tickets.

You can't exchange RCR seats, at least I don't think you can, but between exchanges and RCR you have a lot of flexibility.  Just have to plan how to spend your RCR points at the beginning of the season.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #477: August 14, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »
You can't exchange RCR seats, at least I don't think you can, but between exchanges and RCR you have a lot of flexibility.  Just have to plan how to spend your RCR points at the beginning of the season.

Ok :) I would not be able to get a plan for a while, as I don't currently have the funds (or the funds I do have I am saving for the postseason) and I'm not sure I'll be in the area next summer - though I should know by January or February. This year I got a 5 game plan and it was great, though I'll probably have gone to at least 10-12 games by the end of the year. Would have been a bit better if I had gotten the slightly bigger plan.

Offline Goolsbymd

« Reply #478: August 20, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
I got tickets to tomorrows the game against the braves down in dugout box 129 for my anniversary with the old lady. However 3 days ago I just so happen to blow out my knee. Ripped my LCL and my meniscus in the left knee. We are staying about 5 miles away across the river on I think Jefferson Davis in Arlington. What is the easiest way to get to the game without a ton of walking? Not going to the game is not an option  :twisted:

Offline blue911

« Reply #479: August 20, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
I got tickets to tomorrows the game against the braves down in dugout box 129 for my anniversary with the old lady. However 3 days ago I just so happen to blow out my knee. Ripped my LCL and my meniscus in the left knee. We are staying about 5 miles away across the river on I think Jefferson Davis in Arlington. What is the easiest way to get to the game without a ton of walking? Not going to the game is not an option  :twisted:

Ugh... I'd take a cab. The subway can be a pain in the ass if you're on ctutches.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #480: August 20, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »
Ugh... I'd take a cab. The subway can be a pain in the ass if you're on ctutches.

Going home on the cab, there is an official cab rank in M street, on the other side of the street past The Fairgrounds, right in front of the continuous display of MLB scores - you'll see it when you pass the Metro station entrance, on your left. With the crowds we've latterly been drawing though, expect a bit of a wait.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #481: August 21, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #482: August 21, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
Thanks for posting - that is a real problem that could cut back attendance

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #483: August 21, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »
This needs to be fixed before October

http://www.wtop.com/109/3001683/Nats-fans-stranded-after-Metro-closes
Ugh, that's pretty awful.

When do you have to leave to ensure you catch a ride home? I get off at the end of the red line at Shady Grove.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #484: August 21, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
Ugh, that's pretty awful.

When do you have to leave to ensure you catch a ride home? I get off at the end of the red line at Shady Grove.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/station_detail.cfm?station_id=84 - the last trains from Navy Yard to:

Branch Avenue (southbound) - 00.17
Greenbelt (northbound) - 23.39

On Friday/Saturday nights (=wee hours Saturday/Sunday mornings respectively) add 3 hours to each of the above.

Whenever the Nats get tabbed for a Sunday night home match I normally put the ticket on StubHub - for the most recent one Metro did add later trains but had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing it. In situations like this I take nothing for granted; I may even sell some of my NLDS (and later phases if applicable) tickets if they're 20.00 first pitches with 'normal' (Sunday-Thursday night) closing times.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #485: August 21, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »
This needs to be fixed before October

http://www.wtop.com/109/3001683/Nats-fans-stranded-after-Metro-closes

I think they're likely to work out a deal for the postseason. They worked something out for the Sunday Night ESPN game against the Phillies back in May, after all (an announcement was made during the game that they'd extended service for one hour, this after they originally said they would not pay to keep the trains running). Last night was also unusual because it wasn't just a long extra-innings affair—you also had the 56-minute rain delay that pushed the game's start notably later.

The problem during the regular season for baseball is the economics of the situation. The team has to put up a $29,500 deposit per game to keep the Metro open; afterwards, the amount will be adjusted to account for whatever revenue WMATA takes in from fares during the extended hour(s). The amount they actually take in is usually quite low, too.

Back in May originally the Nationals weren't going to keep the Metro open if the Sunday game ran late but they changed their mind. A lot of the publicity had to do with the Capitals paying to keep the trains running during the three-overtime game a few nights earlier. But I think there's a sound economic reason to distinguish between playoff hockey (or playoff baseball, for that matter) and regular-season baseball.

That is, start with the given principle that WMATA will bill the organization that wants the subway kept open late.  The Nationals play 81 home games. Any of them can go deep into extra innings and run past midnight. The Caps play 41 regular-season home games and none of them go past midnight. I suppose theoretically it's possible for a shootout to go that long, but it's never happened anywhere in the NHL and it's highly unlikely it ever will because it would mean something like at least six full trips through each team's full lineup, maybe more. I believe the longest shootout ever is still that Caps v. Rangers 15-rounder from November 2005. That leaves the Caps' playoff games. There are a maximum of 16 home playoff games in any given year (12 this year had they made the Finals) and statistically there's only a six percent chance of a game going beyond the second overtime (which would require a 1 AM closing) and a 1.7 percent chance of a game going beyond the third overtime (which would require a 2 AM closing).

I suppose in each case you have to account for Friday and Saturday games since Metrorail runs later on those days (3:00 AM closing), but for discussion purposes it's easier just to assume the system closes at midnight. What it means from a practical standpoint is that from a budgeting standpoint it probably makes more sense for the Caps to be prepared to pony up the $29,500 on any given playoff night than it does for the Nats during the regular season, especially given the relative importance of playoff games versus most regular-season games. It's also fair to consider whether paying to extend Metrorail's hours might set a precedent such that people come to expect it in the future. I certainly understand how a baseball club might be warier of setting that precedent than a hockey club.

Similarly, it's not an issue for the Redskins because their games are typically on Sunday afternoon except for preseason and maybe a very few regular-season games. The preseason games are usually on Friday or Saturday (not always, but usually), so there's no Metro issue due to the late closing. The regular-season games are known well in advance and they can budget for them—that is, it's not a situation of never knowing on any given night whether this might pose an issue. DC United doesn't face an issue because there's no overtime except in the playoffs. The Marine Corps Marathon pays to open the subway early, but again, that's once a year and it's easy to make it part of the budget.

I am certain the Nationals will agree to come up with the money to keep the system running late during the postseason, given that they ultimately agreed to do so back in May. It's a very small universe of games and the potential for a PR backlash is a lot stronger in the postseason than it is in May.

I did find some of the comments in the WTOP article amusing, though. It's not like it's a secret that Metrorail closes at midnight. It's been that way FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS!!!! The one guy in the article says he heard the announcement that the trains would not run late but he decided to stay and watch the game anyway. Well, if that's true, then what's he complaining about??? Seems to me it's his own fault he got stuck!

On the other hand, I also recognize that there's a valid point to the idea that the team and the city have pushed people to take the subway to games and a lot of people drank that Kool-Aid. If you're going to push people to use the subway, then there's something to the idea that you should make sure it's available afterwards.

.....all of it makes me glad I drive when we go to games.

Edited to add: A little research unearthed some more data. Back in May when the Nationals paid to keep the subway open for that Phillies game, WMATA generated $1,611 of fare revenue for 445 passengers who used the subway after midnight. So the Nationals paid over $62 per fan to keep the subway open late that night (($29,500 – $1,611)/445 = $62.67 per passenger). The other thing is that a contract has to be signed, and the $29,500 deposit has to be paid, in advance. Nationals management can't just call up WMATA and say, "Uh, crap, we had a rain delay and now extra innings, keep it open for us, will you?"

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #487: August 21, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
The last trains from Navy Yard to:

Branch Avenue (southbound) - 00.17
Greenbelt (northbound) - 23.39

On Friday/Saturday nights (=wee hours Saturday/Sunday mornings respectively) add 3 hours to each of the above.

Whenever the Nats get tabbed for a Sunday night home match I normally put the ticket on StubHub - for the most recent one Metro did add later trains but had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing it. In situations like this I take nothing for granted; I may even sell some of my NLDS (and later phases if applicable) tickets if they're 20.00 first pitches with 'normal' (Sunday-Thursday night) closing times.

I just have to be careful since I have to transfer lines at Chinatown. And I just looked it up - last train to Shady Grove from Chinatown leaves at 12:02 AM, so the last train I could catch at Navy Yard would leave at 11:39. Edit : which I realize is what you said :doh: however I would probably try to catch an earlier train just to make sure I don't get stranded because of a full 11:39 train.

And I just found this. If you want to know when the last train from a station will leave, find the station on this list: http://www.wmata.com/rail/stations.cfm It will be on the bottom of that station's info page.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #488: August 21, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »
The most amusing part of that WTOP article about Metro closing is this, IMO:

"They told us they weren't going to take us home and we didn't care because we wanted to watch the game," said a fan who called himself Rob. "Then we got out here and there's no Metro, so we're all stuck."

WELL, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #489: August 23, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
The Washington Post's Mark Berman reports that the Nationals want the DC government to foot the bill for keeping the Metrorail open late during the postseason.

I was on the side of the Nationals and WMATA earlier this week when they didn't extend service during the 13-inning game, but I can't agree with the Nationals on this one. I don't see any way that this is the city's obligation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #490: August 23, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
The Washington Post's Mark Berman reports that the Nationals want the DC government to foot the bill for keeping the Metrorail open late during the postseason.

I was on the side of the Nationals and WMATA earlier this week when they didn't extend service during the 13-inning game, but I can't agree with the Nationals on this one. I don't see any way that this is the city's obligation.

The nation's eyes will be upon the city.  It's a chance to get some real good (or bad) national press coverage.  Huge PR opportunity. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #491: August 23, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
Come on Lerners!  Open up the wallet. Most people who use the subway originate from Outside Dc!

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #492: August 24, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
The nation's eyes will be upon the city.  It's a chance to get some real good (or bad) national press coverage.  Huge PR opportunity. 

...and the bad PR would definately go against the city, not the Nats. The reason for the closing/opening of the Metro is too long of a story for the nightly news.

Offline machpost

« Reply #493: August 25, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »
I think the Nats AND the District should each pay part of the cost to keep Metro open later. They will both be making a LOT of money on the extra games if there is October baseball in DC.

Offline blue911

« Reply #494: August 25, 2012, 12:56:53 PM »
I think Matt Stairs should pay for extended subway service. He has to do something good for Nats fans.

« Reply #495: August 27, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
I think the Nats AND the District should each pay part of the cost to keep Metro open later. They will both be making a LOT of money on the extra games if there is October baseball in DC.
your using way to much common sense there :smh:

Offline Clever

« Reply #496: August 27, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
I am going to the game Sep. 20 against the Dodgers, and I was wondering what you guys think of the Beltway Burger deal, as that is what we have ordered.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #497: August 30, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
Can one purchase game tickets online the day of the game? If so where would they be picked up?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #498: August 30, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
Can one purchase game tickets online the day of the game? If so where would they be picked up?

Yes. And I believe will call, however if you order online you can print them unless you get non-printable tickets on stub hub.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #499: August 30, 2012, 07:05:42 PM »
Thanks.