Author Topic: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 2  (Read 18205 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 2
« Reply #375: June 27, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
he also called martis the most inconsistent starter we have :clap:

if he were wild due to lack of command that's one thing ... but most nights he's just nibbling too much - a lot like tony armas.
I can't believe you keep harping on the pitching when our offense is the worst in baseball by far.

Offline PC

« Reply #376: June 27, 2009, 10:09:57 PM »
I'd rather have Detwiler in the bullpen then Stammen.

...in any event, it's good to see Colome gone.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #377: June 27, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
I can't believe you keep harping on the pitching when our offense is the worst in baseball by far.

[shaking head emoticon] b/c your starter isn't supposed to go 5 innings and give up 4 runs (like martis and detwiler have done).  i'm not saying the offense doesn't deserve blame, read my posts, i'm saying they do.  but i'm not letting martis/detwiler/stammen off the hook. [/shaking head emoticon]

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #378: June 27, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »
I'd rather have Detwiler in the bullpen then Stammen.
it's a toss up.  i think long-term they view det as a starter, where they like stammen's arm, but tough to project whether he's better suited for pen duties or 5th starter.  if you look at his numbers, outside the start vs. the mets, he usually is pretty good the first three-four innings and then really struggles.  i think he's a good fit in the pen, he can come in and use his sinker to double up opposing teams. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #379: June 27, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
[shaking head emoticon] b/c your starter isn't supposed to go 5 innings and give up 4 runs (like martis and detwiler have done).  i'm not saying the offense doesn't deserve blame, read my posts, i'm saying they do.  but i'm not letting martis/detwiler/stammen off the hook. [/shaking head emoticon]
like PC always says, it's impossible to dog the pitching when the offense doesn't score more than a couple of runs. you have to score 5-6 runs to win games consistently, period.

Knight is just speechless about what to do with the offense.

Offline PC

« Reply #380: June 27, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »
[shaking head emoticon] b/c your starter isn't supposed to go 5 innings and give up 4 runs (like martis and detwiler have done).  i'm not saying the offense doesn't deserve blame, read my posts, i'm saying they do.  but i'm not letting martis/detwiler/stammen off the hook. [/shaking head emoticon]

You have to put the pitching and hitting in context.  When we were scoring 5 or more runs a game and we're still losing, pitching was clearly the problem.  In order to lose a game where you score 5 runs, you have to give up 6.

If your offense score three runs, you're not likely to win the game.

When an offense scores so few runs, most of the time, all the pitching does is control the size of the loss.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #381: June 27, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
You have to put the pitching and hitting in context.  When we were scoring 5 or more runs a game and we're still losing, pitching was clearly the problem.  In order to lose a game where you score 5 runs, you have to give up 6.

If your offense score three runs, you're not likely to win the game.

When an offense scores so few runs, all the pitching does is control the size of the loss.

not trying to be a jerk, but are you and sf reading my posts?  i'm not sticking up for the offense, trust me they deserved to be blamed and I'm doing just that.

but at the same time, when your starting pitcher gives up 4 runs in just five innings, you're not being put in a good position to win the game.  that's all.  and you don't see lannan complaining about his lack of support (which has been one of the worst in the league since '07) and he's lost games where he's only given up one or two runs.  last two nights, we've had terrible offense and terrible starting pitching. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #382: June 27, 2009, 10:21:33 PM »
not trying to be a jerk, but are you and sf reading my posts?  i'm not sticking up for the offense, trust me they deserved to be blamed and I'm doing just that.

but at the same time, when your starting pitcher gives up 4 runs in just five innings, you're not being put in a good position to win the game.  that's all.  and you don't see lannan complaining about his lack of support (which has been one of the worst in the league since '07) and he's lost games where he's only given up one or two runs.  last two nights, we've had terrible offense and terrible starting pitching. 
but that's the thing. the starting pitching could have been good the last two nights and we still would have lost the game.

the starting pitching is just determining by what margin we lose by.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #383: June 27, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
You're just blinded by Dunn-hate.

This is the only thing worth saying to or about sportsfan.  No matter what kind of rational arguments you make, he will find some baloney way to back up his ridiculous bias.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #384: June 27, 2009, 10:26:37 PM »
but that's the thing. the starting pitching could have been good the last two nights and we still would have lost the game.

the starting pitching is just determining by what margin we lose by.

or we win 3-2 if martis doesn't give up any runs 8)

again the offense deserves to be blamed, but i'm not going to go easy on the two starters ... there job is to give us at least 6 innings w/ minimal runs.  last two nights, our guys didn't come close to that. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #385: June 27, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
This is the only thing worth saying to or about sportsfan.  No matter what kind of rational arguments you make, he will find some baloney way to back up his ridiculous bias.
:rofl: and you will say anything to defend Dunn.

Everything I was saying regarding that pitch he swung at was factual. undeniable

Offline PC

« Reply #386: June 27, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
not trying to be a jerk, but are you and sf reading my posts?  i'm not sticking up for the offense, trust me they deserved to be blamed and I'm doing just that.

but at the same time, when your starting pitcher gives up 4 runs in just five innings, you're not being put in a good position to win the game.  that's all.  and you don't see lannan complaining about his lack of support (which has been one of the worst in the league since '07) and he's lost games where he's only given up one or two runs.  last two nights, we've had terrible offense and terrible starting pitching.  

I'm reading your posts but I put ZERO percent of the blame on the pitching until the offense scores four runs.  From four runs on, it's a sliding scale of blame. This isn't soccer they're playing.  You have to score runs to win because "nil" games don't happen very often.

I was watching the Braves-Red Sox game, this afternoon and Vasquez pitched a gem, gave up one run in 7 2/3 innings and lost the game, 1-0.  This is the extreme case of pitching controlling the size of the loss but that all Vasquez was really doing today.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #387: June 27, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
or we win 3-2 if martis doesn't give up any runs 8)

again the offense deserves to be blamed, but i'm not going to go easy on the two starters ... there job is to give us at least 6 innings w/ minimal runs.  last two nights, our guys didn't come close to that. 
freak that. you shouldn't expect to win 3-2 every night. offense needs to score at the minimum 4-5 runs a night and score 6-7+ frequently.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #388: June 27, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
freak that. you shouldn't expect to win 3-2 every night. offense needs to score at the minimum 4-5 runs a night and score 6-7+ frequently.
the first part was a joke dude. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #389: June 27, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
I'm reading your posts but I put ZERO percent of the blame on the pitching until the offense scores four runs.  This isn't soccer they're playing.  You have to score runs to win because "nil" games don't happen very often.

I was watching the Braves-Red Sox game, this afternoon and Vasquez pitched a gem, gave up one run in 7 2/3 innings and lost the game, 1-0.  This is the extreme case of pitching controlling the size of the loss but that all Vasquez was really doing today.

and we didn't get one run in 7 2/3, we got a 5 inning, 4 run performance from our starter.  

again our offense sucked, so did the pitching.  but we can agree to disagree.  

Offline The Chief

« Reply #390: June 27, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
:rofl: and you will say anything to defend Dunn.

Everything I was saying regarding that pitch he swung at was factual. undeniable

You're so stupid dude.  I defend Dunn from you and you alone because you rag on him relentlessly for no reason other than your own bias.  You are so completely blinded by that bias that you imagine things that aren't there.  And factual?  Ha!  Give me a freakin' break.  Here's a gem of an "undeniable fact" - you saying stupid crap like this:

it's just selfish AB after selfish AB.

:roll:

Offline PC

« Reply #391: June 27, 2009, 10:39:10 PM »
and we didn't get one run in 7 2/3, we got a 5 inning, 4 run performance from our starter. 

again our offense sucked, so did the pitching.  but we can agree to disagree. 

Before we agree to disagree!  If Martis had pitched 7 2/3 innings and given up 1 run, that would have been an exceptional performance by him.  The offense would have still been blameable even in a 3-1 win.

An exceptional performance shouldn't be a requirement to win a baseball game.  Again, when you score so few runs, you usually require an exceptional performance from your pitcher

There's a reason why exceptionalism is the exception.  :|

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #392: June 27, 2009, 10:40:39 PM »
Before we agree to disagree!  If Martis had pitched 7 2/3 innings and given up 1 run, that would have been an exceptional performance by him.  The offense would have still been blameable even in a 3-1 win.

An exceptional performance shouldn't be a requirement to win a baseball game.  Again, when you score so few runs, you usually require an exceptional performance from your pitcher

There's a reason why exceptionalism is the exception.  :|

even if he goes 6 innings, 3 runs ... i understand that doesn't give us a win but it would have put us in a decent situation to win the game.  the offense didn't do their part - especially with all the chances they had - but our starter didn't do his either.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #393: June 27, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »
You're so stupid dude.  I defend Dunn from you and you alone because you rag on him relentlessly for no reason other than your own bias.  You are so completely blinded by that bias that you imagine things that aren't there.  And factual?  Ha!  Give me a freakin' break.  Here's a gem of an "undeniable fact" - you saying stupid crap like this:

:roll:
I was referring to the entire team with that statement. If you had watched that inning or the whole game for that matter you would have said the same thing.

trailing late in the game with a runner on base and no outs he swings at a 2-0 pitch and hits a little nubber over to second base.

I don't just rip Dunn. my own bias? I rip whoever hurts the team and plays crappy.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #394: June 28, 2009, 12:39:30 AM »
I don't just rip Dunn. my own bias? I rip whoever hurts the team and plays crappy.

True but you are especially harsh on Dunn, and much more lenient on certain other players :?

You also have a tendency to draw (often hasty) conclusions based on your bias.  "Selfish" is a highly subjective claim.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #395: June 28, 2009, 12:42:46 AM »
True but you are especially harsh on Dunn, and much more lenient on certain other players :?

You also have a tendency to draw (often hasty) conclusions based on your bias.  "Selfish" is a highly subjective claim.
Ray Knight was suggesting the same thing in the post-game show.

He was killing the offense. These freaks don't have a plan when they go up to the plate. They either just swing for the fences or just swing at the first pitch they see instead of being a team player.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #396: June 28, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
the eaglesskins vs AZ exchange was hilarious. best argument of the year. we need to nominate that crap for some end of the year award, no one forget

az: belliard is a pimp
eaglesskins: fat ronnie sucks, kearns at least plays good defense
az: big ears should go back to kentucky and milk some freaking cows
eaglesskins: we couldn't get an enchalada for fat ronnie
tomterp: we couldn't get a joint and a bag of condoms for belliard
me: lol

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #397: June 28, 2009, 01:03:03 AM »
the eaglesskins vs AZ exchange was hilarious. best argument of the year. we need to nominate that crap for some end of the year award, no one forget

az: belliard is a pimp
eaglesskins: fat ronnie sucks, kearns at least plays good defense
az: big ears should go back to kentucky and milk some freaking cows
eaglesskins: we couldn't get an enchalada for fat ronnie
tomterp: we couldn't get a joint and a bag of condoms for belliard
me: lol

mos def

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #398: June 28, 2009, 01:11:30 AM »
lol the freakin orioles are laughing and joking around in the dugout.  now that hurts.  i know both clubs are terrible, but when you have the orioles laughing at you. 

it's okay we get to hear the played out:

manny- "our guys battled, we're getting there"
rizzo- (unavailable for comment)
kasten- "come out to nats park, i don't care what team you are rooting for.  oh and the plan is working and no comment on whether manny acta is going to continue to be our manager"
lerner- "oh it's very discouraging to see us lose." (while counting their money)
FIXED

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #399: June 28, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »
But it's still a fastball. There are a bazillion varieties, but it's a fastball. That's what Johnson throws. Yes, some bite more than others.....but it's a fastball.

yes. cutter, sinker, two-seamer, four-seamer, splitter, etc.

Then technically a curveball is a fastball.  A slider is a fastball.  A changeup is a fastball.   In fact, the only pitch that's not a fastball is a knuckleball.

I urge you both to watch that pitch again and tell me it was a "fastball."  No way a "fastball" breaks one foot down and right (from pitcher's perspective).

A sinker is not a fastball.  A sinker is a sinker.  And it takes major cojones to throw a sinker on 2-0 'cause if you just throw a "get me over" sinker to Dunn, he puts it out of the park.

It's clear to me that SF hasn't played much baseball and I'm not sure why why not? is arguning.  I'm giving the credit where credit is due and that would be to a player on his/her favorite team.