Author Topic: Baseball America's  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Baseball America's
« Topic Start: November 07, 2007, 09:33:39 PM »
The new top 10 prospects lists have started being posted at Baseball America. And before anyone asks, yes, the new top 10 page has been added to the toolbar (it and last year's list are there so you can compare), along with a couple new rumor sites.

What's cool, is the latest Washington Nationals Top 10 Prospects list has 6 new names.

You can check it out here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265146.html

Offline Dave B

Re: Baseball America's
« Reply #1: November 07, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
Ian Desmond playing SS in 2011. I guess they couldnt put TBD

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: November 07, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
Ian Desmond playing SS in 2011. I guess they couldnt put TBD

haha..Yeah, and they have him as the best defensive infielder, too. I watched him about 10 times this past season and he seemed to be the WORST infielder on Potomac. Yes, he's got a gun, but his instincts and accuracy are subpar at best.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: November 07, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
That's a shame.  Desmond seems to be pretty good from the plate.  His average is kind of low, but he takes walks and has decent power for a middle infielder.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #4: November 08, 2007, 12:23:59 AM »
And they have Chief as closer still!

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #5: November 08, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »
And they have Chief as closer still!

How dare they disagree with the internet!!!

arkymark

« Reply #6: November 08, 2007, 09:05:31 AM »
That talk about Zimm reminds me of how concerned I am about this wrist thing.  The worrying point, for me, is that it didn't happen from trauma, apparently, but just from stress over time.  22 and wearing stuff out?  Sure hope it's not more than they think now.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: November 08, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
How dare they disagree with the internet!!!

:lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: November 08, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »
That talk about Zimm reminds me of how concerned I am about this wrist thing.  The worrying point, for me, is that it didn't happen from trauma, apparently, but just from stress over time.  22 and wearing stuff out?  Sure hope it's not more than they think now.

You need not be concerned, for one, defensively, it's his glove hand and two, offensively, it's his low hand when holding his bat. I've played with a sprained low batting hand (my left) and was still able to get my hits in. Besides, his hand will be well healed before the holidays, giving him tons of time before spring training to get into playing shape and not just be able to swing the bat.

MrMadison

« Reply #9: November 08, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
Ian desmond is highly overrated and it is unbelievable that his prospect-status is STILL living off of the 3 plays he made in spring training of '05.  because he's done NOTHING, absolutely nothing to deserve being considered a "prospect" since then.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10: November 08, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »
Ian desmond is highly overrated and it is unbelievable that his prospect-status is STILL living off of the 3 plays he made in spring training of '05.  because he's done NOTHING, absolutely nothing to deserve being considered a "prospect" since then.

the only reason we know who he is is because he was probably the first player mentioned in boswells first nats column ever

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #11: November 09, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »
Gonzalez should be rated higher than Desmond.

MrMadison

« Reply #12: November 11, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
Gonzalez should be rated higher than Desmond.
Desmond shouldn't even be in the top 25 let alone the top 10.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: November 12, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
Fitt was too hard on Gonzalez.  The kid was only 17 playing his first pro season.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #14: November 18, 2007, 09:42:08 PM »
Ian Desmond is going to be a starter at the Major League level.  Ian is a victum of being brought to the spotlight too soon.
Yes, he is an error machine at times, but when he doesn't over think a play and just makes plays on natural talent he has the ablity to make some amazing major league SS plays with his glove and his arm. Don't give up on Ian. You'll be sorry in the long run.

Offline heatchucker

« Reply #15: November 19, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »
Totally disagree. Desmond was a prospect when the Nationals system was a bunch of nobodys. Now that there are truly legit guys moving up the Ranks...Desmond still lacks behind. He still cant hit and last time I checked you need to hit to make it. (fielding sucks too) He is a "if" guy..."If" he could just hit    "If" he could just field

MrMadison

« Reply #16: November 19, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
Ian Desmond is going to be a starter at the Major League level.  Ian is a victum of being brought to the spotlight too soon.
Yes, he is an error machine at times, but when he doesn't over think a play and just makes plays on natural talent he has the ablity to make some amazing major league SS plays with his glove and his arm. Don't give up on Ian. You'll be sorry in the long run.

Desmond can't hit A ball pitching. and he's an error machine.  he's *not* a great fielder. he just made three great plays in spring training 05 and boswell went nuts about it. that is the only reason he is even considered a prospect. 

our farm system has come a long way since then.

he's a career .245/.312/.366  hitter in 4 seasons of A-ball and 38 games of AA. 

Desmond is NOT a prospect and he should not be a member of any major league team that isn't desperate.

arkymark

« Reply #17: November 19, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
Totally disagree. Desmond was a prospect when the Nationals system was a bunch of nobodys. Now that there are truly legit guys moving up the Ranks...Desmond still lacks behind.

Do you mean lags behind, or does he have an unusual disability?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #18: November 19, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
Do you mean lags behind, or does he have an unusual disability?

Aw, poor guy!
 :rofl:

Offline daveb32

« Reply #19: December 12, 2007, 08:44:38 AM »
What about Jake Smolinski at SS for 2011? He was playing well for the GCL Nats and then all of a sudden he disappeared at the end of July. Nothing was said and his status remained active.
What's the dealio?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: December 12, 2007, 10:18:24 AM »
What about Jake Smolinski at SS for 2011? He was playing well for the GCL Nats and then all of a sudden he disappeared at the end of July. Nothing was said and his status remained active.
What's the dealio?

Dave, are you familiar with the Nats Farm Authority web site?  I'd highly recommend you make that one of your regular stops.  There is a link, up in the General Discussion - links thread (another great reason to join this forum, all the readily available links). 

Here is a brief article in which Smolinski is rated among other Nats prospects.  You can find much more on that site:

John Sickels’ Nationals Top 20
Wednesday, November 21st, 2007
John Sickels releases an annual edition of “The Baseball Prospect Book” where he uses letter grades to assess 30-35 prospects from each MLB organization. He is currently in the process of providing preliminary top 20 lists for each team. Here is the Nats Top 20.

Chris Marrero, 1B-OF, Grade B+ (2006)
Ross Detwiler, LHP, Grade B+ (2007)
Michael Burgess, OF, Grade B+ (2007)
Justin Maxwell, OF, Grade B (2005)
Jordan Zimmermann, RHP, Grade B (2007)
Collin Balester, RHP, Grade B- (2004)
Josh Smoker, LHP, Grade B- (2007)
Adam Carr, RHP, Grade B- (2006)
John Lannan, LHP, Grade B- (2005)
Glenn Gibson, LHP, Grade C+ (2006)
Colton Willems, RHP, Grade C+ (2006)
Ian Desmond, SS, Grade C+ (2004)
Jack McGeary, LHP, Grade C+ (2007)
Jake Smolinski, OF, Grade C+ (2007)
Jon Albaladejo, RHP, Grade C+ (added from Pittsburgh in 2007)
Adrian Alaniz, RHP, Grade C+ (2007)
Shairon Martis, RHP, Grade C+ (added from Giants in 2006)
Jhonny Nunez, RHP, Grade C+ (added from Dodgers in 2006)
Kory Casto, OF-3B, Grade C+ (2003)
Josh Whitesell, 1B, Grade C (2003)
There are 15 other players in the book. Again, I emphasize that all these grades are preliminary, and that the Grade C+/C guys are close to interchangeable.

There is a lot of Potential pitching depth in this system, and many of those Grade C+ guys have the ability to end up as Grade B/B+ prospects a year from now, once we see them at higher levels and have more data to work with. Overall the Nats have done a good job adding more depth to the system.

Here is what the grades mean:

Grade A prospects are the elite. They have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Almost all Grade A prospects develop into major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don’t intervene. Note that is a major “if” in some cases.
Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.
Grade C prospects are the most common type. These are guys who have something positive going for them, but who may have a question mark or three, or who are just too far away from the majors to get an accurate feel for. A few Grade C guys, especially at the lower levels, do develop into stars. Many end up as role players or bench guys. Some don’t make it at all.
A major point to remember is that grades for pitchers do NOT correspond directly to grades for hitters. Many Grade A pitching prospects fail to develop, often due to injuries. Some Grade C pitching prospects turn out much better than expected.
Also note that there is diversity within each category. I’m a tough grader; Grade C+ is actually good praise coming from me, and some C+ prospects turn out very well indeed.
Finally, keep in mind that all grades are shorthand. You have to read the full comment in the book for my full opinion about a player, the letter grade only tells you so much. A Grade C prospect in rookie ball could end up being very impressive, while a Grade C prospect in Triple-A is likely just a future role player.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #21: December 12, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
Smolinksi is only 18, and the rookie league ended in July.  He has a pretty high K-rate that needs to be addressed before moving up the ranks, but otherwise gets on base very well, and shows some speed based on the SB/CS.

AVG    G   AB     R    H  2B  3B  HR  RBI   TB   BB   SO  SB  CS    OBP    SLG    OPS
.305   28   105   18   32   8   0   1   16   43   13   24   7   2   .387   .410   .796

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: December 12, 2007, 11:04:58 AM »
Note he is listed as an outfielder though, not a SS.  Did his position change?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #23: December 12, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »
Note he is listed as an outfielder though, not a SS.  Did his position change?

Minor League Baseball has him as a SS.

EDIT - Correction to above, GCL ended on August 27.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #24: December 12, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
I just checked the box scores for the last few games he played:  2 at 1B, 1 as DH, 1 as LF.  He went 2-20 in those games, and then vanishes.