Author Topic: Sheinin piece on Marrero  (Read 2453 times)

natsfan1a

Sheinin piece on Marrero
« Topic Start: June 22, 2007, 08:36:53 AM »
Dave Sheinin has a nice piece on Marrero in today's Post. The picture of him blowing bubbles with the son of the P-Nats pitching coach is priceless!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/21/AR2007062102185.html

Re: Sheinin piece on Marrero
« Reply #1: June 22, 2007, 09:07:56 AM »
Great article on a great prospect!

Chris really looks like he has his head on straight and isn't letting any hype or things like "just like Pujols" get in his way or change the way he does things.  Reminds me a lot of Ryan Zimmerman in that respect.  Its lovely that not only does the DC organization seem to support him and his growth but also his family. 

Could it be fate?  Destiny?  I was reading that article and the name of Chris' father is Bladimir Marrero.  Sort of looks and sounds like "Vladimir Guerrero" who was quite the prospect for this franchise awhile back.

If Marrero continues to improve like he has and moves up the ladder, I have no doubt we are potentially looking at the Nats future big slugger.  This kid has got bat!  I hope to see Chris in action sometime soon.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: June 22, 2007, 09:43:45 AM »
how crazy does it sound for someone who lives within walking distance of RFK to drive a half hour to a single A game?

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: June 22, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »
I was struck by that, too.

Could it be fate?  Destiny?  I was reading that article and the name of Chris' father is Bladimir Marrero.  Sort of looks and sounds like "Vladimir Guerrero" who was quite the prospect for this franchise awhile back.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: June 22, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
My friend's grandfather or something is Cuban and has been following this kid since high school. Says he's the next great power-hitting OF. Can't wait to see him in 3-4 years.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: June 22, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
My friend's grandfather or something is Cuban and has been following this kid since high school.

Do Cubans follow all players of Cuban descent even if the player was born in America? Those are some strong national ties.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: June 22, 2007, 11:28:35 AM »
Well that was nice to read. Marrero gives a lot of people hope...including me!

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #7: June 22, 2007, 12:04:24 PM »
Great article on a great prospect!

Hopefully your right, his brothers name is Christian Marrero somewhat resembles Vlads brother or cousin(not sure which)Christian Guerrero whos in our system.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: June 22, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »
Do Cubans follow all players of Cuban descent even if the player was born in America? Those are some strong national ties.

haha, not sure. My friend just mentioned it to me one day and I thought it was pretty cool.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #9: June 22, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »
Well that was nice to read. Marrero gives a lot of people hope...including me!

If it is accurate that the kid was in the backyard hitting every day like that for 10 years, that's pretty incredible. It's one thing to play alot when you are a kid, but daily BP twelve months a year starting that young is comparable to the single-minded obsession of Earl Woods. No wonder this guy is a monster.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #10: July 25, 2007, 02:45:32 AM »
Are the Marrero brothers twins?
I just returned from a vacation in the Great Falls Area, where the White Sox minor league team is. So I saw Christian Marrero was in the paper almost every day, I guess hes their star player or something, but he looks just like Chris M.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: July 28, 2007, 04:35:21 PM »
Both born in Miami, but 2 years apart. They may be related, but I doN't have more info than that