Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Wirkin Estevez, RHP  (Read 6577 times)

Offline RD

Re: Follow the Prospects: Wirkin Estevez, RHP
« Reply #25: May 08, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Estevez and Ray are debatable. Both are young and projectable Ray is a lefty but Estevez is a bit younger. So I can see putting Ray ahead of Estevez the other guys you mentioned not so much. Smoker and Karns are relievers I'll rank a young, projectable starter over a reliever any day especially Smoker he's still living off his stuff and draft position results so far have left much to be desired. Solis was drafted and noted as an injury risk and his two trips to the DL thus far have done little to get rid of those concerns. Turnbull is 2+ years older than Estevez with a limited track record. Demny is a solid arm but I'm more of an Estevez fan.

Its not a debate between Ray and Estevez. Ray is a mere months older than Estevez, but has already had a full season of quality performance at Hagerstown. He's a step above Estevez on the ladder, is left handed, and has better stuff. It's not a debate.

I get the argument about the age of guys like Karns and Turnbull, etc but age isn't the most important thing. Stuff is. Shairon Martis always performed well in the minors despite being much younger than his competition, but his stuff wasn't big time. He made it to the bigs at a young age, got tossed around, and hasn't made it back. Not saying Estevez is on the same track. Just saying, numbers at a young age without the standout stuff doesn't make you a great prospect.

Whether or not Karns and Smoker are relievers isn't a great argument either IMO. If you have a power arm and can make an impact, even as a reliever, Ill take that over a marginal starter. At this point, that's all Estevez is. He absolutely has potential and a projectable frame, so he's not a finished product. But he does have a long way to go to be a legitimate prospect IMO.