Author Topic: Cards just clinch the central? Holliday to StL  (Read 696 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Holliday to Cards for Wallace.  Couple of other prospects headed to Oakland as well.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=645477

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Just heard it on XM while out running a quick errand.

This move would certainly help the Cards win the Central but I've gotta think this will force a move by Milwaukee, Chicago and maybe Houston (if the Astros have the prospects).

I got wasted with a friend last night and I told him straight up: I have a feeling Holliday is going to the Cards tomorrow. I don't know if it was ESP or the Gentleman Jack, but whatever it was-- cool.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I got wasted with a friend last night and I told him straight up: I have a feeling Holliday is going to the Cards tomorrow. I don't know if it was ESP or the Gentleman Jack, but whatever it was-- cool.

"Nostradamus of the LivingDead"

Offline CJames0569

I think this was a bad trade for STL especially since they won't be able to sign holliday before he becomes a FA. They way over-payed for a 2 month rental IMO

Offline xposbrad

Great deal for Oakland. Wallace was rushed up this year and performing very well. Who knows about the other prospects, Wallace alone made it worth it for Oakland.

Offline HalfSmokes

ballsy move by the Cards - they have a gaping whole at thrid and Wallace was the long term fit there

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
If the Cards made the judgment that Wallace will not be a 3d baseman and can only play first, then they had to deal him for the best they could get. Holliday is a big help if the Cards are "going for it" this year.  I'm a bit surprised Wallace could not bring back Holliday by himself, but I suppose Beane said, "I'm giving up 2 top 40 picks I would get when he declines arbitration and signs elsewhere, so throw in the equivalent of two top 40 picks as well as Wallace."

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I think this was a bad trade for STL especially since they won't be able to sign holliday before he becomes a FA. They way over-payed for a 2 month rental IMO

Let's see if their archrival is similarly inspired to overpay (for Beimel)  ;) .

Offline HalfSmokes

If the Cards made the judgment that Wallace will not be a 3d baseman and can only play first, then they had to deal him for the best they could get. Holliday is a big help if the Cards are "going for it" this year.  I'm a bit surprised Wallace could not bring back Holliday by himself, but I suppose Beane said, "I'm giving up 2 top 40 picks I would get when he declines arbitration and signs elsewhere, so throw in the equivalent of two top 40 picks as well as Wallace."

doesn't his value in general tank if he has to move accross to first?

Offline houston-nat

(if the Astros have the prospects).
The Astros do not have prospects. Period. I'm serious. I mean, their Number 2 overall prospect projects as a fourth outfielder: http://www.baseball-intellect.com/houston-astros-top-prospects/
In 2007, their top prospect was J.R. Towles, who hit .137 in the majors last year and got sent back to the minors this year. He's batting .295 at AAA, in his defense.