Author Topic: Ive been bullish all year, but...  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Ive been bullish all year, but...
« Reply #25: September 22, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »
Put some clothes on!

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #26: September 22, 2012, 01:40:14 AM »
Who's to say they won't all get hot again for the final run?  You never know what's going to haopen in October.

Offline GSW

« Reply #27: September 22, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
My GOD   !!!!!!!!!!!! have you seen who they are going to pitch (Johnson can't be that hard up....
please tell me it was Rizzo who told Johnson to do it)

Sunday September 23, 2012
All times Eastern. Subject to change.

Wang (2-3)
Probable ReportChien-Ming Wang (2-3, 6.92)Manager Davey Johnson decided that Wang will get the start against the Brewers on Sunday afternoon. The Nationals need a starter for that day because they don't want right-hander Jordan Zimmermann to pitch on short rest.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #28: September 22, 2012, 08:23:28 AM »
My GOD   !!!!!!!!!!!! have you seen who they are going to pitch (Johnson can't be that hard up....
please tell me it was Rizzo who told Johnson to do it)

The trip down the rabbit hole started again on Wednesday when Wang came in for Lannan and carnage ended. :?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #29: September 22, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
If the Nats finish the year 6-6 the Braves would have to go 11-0 over their last 11 games just to TIE us for the division lead.  It is almost impossible for the Braves to pass the Nats for the division at this point.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #30: September 22, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
If the Nats finish the year 6-6 the Braves would have to go 11-0 over their last 11 games just to TIE us for the division lead.  It is almost impossible for the Braves to pass the Nats for the division at this point.

They just need a solid performace the rest of the weekend to be sitting pretty. 

As for last night, I'm nervous as hell by nature, but I feel like I saw solid postseason baseball with the exception of one guy.  Yeah, they're 2-2 so far on the home stand but Clippard might have caused both losses.  The good news is getting this out of the way now and establishing Storen as the closer in time for the playoffs might end up being a blessing.  I think if we see defense and pitching like we saw for 8 innings last night this team will be fine. 

Offline GSW

« Reply #31: September 22, 2012, 09:06:44 AM »
"carnage ended."  I think Wang let 2 or 3 runs in that were charged to Lannan?

The trip down the rabbit hole started again on Wednesday when Wang came in for Lannan and carnage ended. :?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #32: September 22, 2012, 09:08:31 AM »

Clearly you lack the patience of Mother Teresa required to see the world through Davey colored glasses. e.g. Wang is just working through some things. ;)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #33: September 22, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
But we want the Nats to have a better record than the Reds as well

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #34: September 22, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »

...and the Giants...

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #35: September 22, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »

Not the point.  The point was that barring a combination of an epic collapse for the Nats AND a really strong finish for the Braves the Nats win the NL East.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #36: September 22, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
They just need a solid performace the rest of the weekend to be sitting pretty. 

As for last night, I'm nervous as hell by nature, but I feel like I saw solid postseason baseball with the exception of one guy.  Yeah, they're 2-2 so far on the home stand but Clippard might have caused both losses.  The good news is getting this out of the way now and establishing Storen as the closer in time for the playoffs might end up being a blessing.  I think if we see defense and pitching like we saw for 8 innings last night this team will be fine.

Between the Harper cannon to keep the Brewers from scoring (one gunning he runner at the plate), and Jackson getting out of a sticky late inning with the GIDP, that was solid playoff baseball.

But to really make it in Oct, the bats need to wake up and the closer situation needs to be solidified. Get that done and they have a damn good chance and a lot of Oct baseball.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #37: September 22, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
And honestly I know I'm in the minority here but I would MUCH rather the Reds get the Wild Card team and I'll gladly take the Giants.  The Nats are 9-4 against the Giants over the last two years.  We match up incredibly well against them.  Both teams have dominant pitching but our offense is far superior.

Offline Clever

« Reply #38: September 22, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
And honestly I know I'm in the minority here but I would MUCH rather the Reds get the Wild Card team and I'll gladly take the Giants.  The Nats are 9-4 against the Giants over the last two years.  We match up incredibly well against them.  Both teams have dominant pitching but our offense is far superior.
And wouldn't we also be starting at home if we played the Giants?

Offline heeman82

« Reply #39: September 22, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »
lame ass thread

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #40: September 22, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Not the point.  The point was that barring a combination of an epic collapse for the Nats AND a really strong finish for the Braves the Nats win the NL East.

...have we foreclosed on the possibility of our opponents getting some more umpire-gifted hits/runs between now and 3rd October? We've been on the short end of two in less than a week.

And let's not forget that the Lords of Baseball probably would like to see Chipper Jones go out on a high note....

[Yes I can have rather a lively imagination, especially in circumstances like this]

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: September 22, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »

Came in with the bases loaded.  Threw a wild pitch scoring Victorino.  Then got the groundball that we're still talking about, so he technically gave up 2, but one goes to Alan Porter.  He gave up a couple of singles in the 5th before working out of the jam.  Actually pitched as well as he had all year, which, I'll grant you isn't saying much but he was giving up a lot of ground balls, which is a good sign.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #42: September 22, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
Nats win today.

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
« Reply #43: September 22, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
now THAT was just what the doctor ordered!!!!!!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #44: September 22, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
now THAT was just what the doctor ordered!!!!!!

I'm not sure I buy into the conventional wisdom of having momentum going into the playoffs. I think it's all about having the best horses and who gets hot IN the playoffs, not BEFORE them.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #45: September 22, 2012, 11:47:12 PM »
I'm not sure I buy into the conventional wisdom of having momentum going into the playoffs. I think it's all about having the best horses and who gets hot IN the playoffs, not BEFORE them.

I agreed with you at one time, but actually if you look at most of the recent WS champions, they did get hot in September.  The '06 Cardinals are more the exception than the rule.  From 2008-11, the eventual world champs had great records in September.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #46: September 23, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »
Yep. Hottest team wins.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #47: September 23, 2012, 12:48:18 AM »
Not really what I was saying.  It generally helps to be a hot team in September because it means you're playing your best baseball.  The thing is, with playoff teams, since they're all obviously good, a lot of them are going to be hot going into the postseason.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #48: September 23, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
I agreed with you at one time, but actually if you look at most of the recent WS champions, they did get hot in September.  The '06 Cardinals are more the exception than the rule.  From 2008-11, the eventual world champs had great records in September.

2005 White Sox had a near-collapse in September...they went from having a 10 game lead in the AL Central to having just a 2.5 game lead over the Cleveland Indians, who got hot in the late summer. Then they won their last 5 games of the regular season and found a second hot streak that lasted deep into October. 2005 Indians were a pretty good team, got a lot of media love and a lot of pundits were picking them to win the division, and their GM actually won GM of the year that season.

That's a decently analogous team to the 2012 Nats, as it was based on a good pitching staff and power hitting.