Poll

Would You Throw Back Barry Bonds Historic Homerun Ball?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Would You Throw Back Barry Bonds Historic Homerun Ball?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Wtf does sportsfan have to do with this?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim

I was just going to say that myself...

Anyway, selling the ball would be the responsible thing to do.  I mean, as long as you're using the money wisely, that's the right thing to do.

Just picking out someone you have shown you have extreme hatred for.  Nothing more or less.

Its my opinion that I think Bonds is a disgrace and I would do nothing to validate any accomplishment, even if I would in some way personally gain something by it.  Its just not in my character to do such an action.  I feel that just because you might get a pay day out of it doesn't mean its responsible or right.

You on the other hand, are of the opinion it is perfectly acceptable to do so and that is in your character.  Either way, it doesn't make you wrong or right.

Offline JMW IV

Meh it doesnt matter. Notld, in his utterly perfect moral wisdom, is right. No matter what i do or have ever done, the mere fact that i dont hate bonds with every fiber of my being and that if given the chance, i would sell his hr ball to buy a house for my family, that sole fact makes me a terrible, despicable piece of trash who has never had any morals EVER. (because who really gives a crap about family anyway? Baseball immortality means so much more! ) hold on i am about to go slap a ho, shoot a cop, cheat on my wife, shake a baby, piss in public, and rob a bank.  I got 26 years of despicable behavior to catch up on since i am apparently such a horrible person for saying i would sell the ball.

Offline JMW IV

And since when does arguing with someone constitute "extreme hatred"? I argue with everyone, does that mean i hate you all?

Meh it doesnt matter. Notld, in his utterly perfect moral wisdom, is right. No matter what i do or have ever done, the mere fact that i dont hate bonds with every fiber of my being and that if given the chance, i would sell his hr ball to buy a house for my family, that sole fact makes me a terrible, despicable piece of trash who has never had any morals EVER. (because who really gives a **** about family anyway? Baseball immortality means so much more! ) hold on i am about to go slap a ho, shoot a cop, cheat on my wife, shake a baby, piss in public, and rob a bank.  I got 26 years of despicable behavior to catch up on since i am apparently such a horrible person for saying i would sell the ball.

You said it, not me.  Oh, stop whining.  Your the one that started calling anyone who would throw it back "high, mighty, and jealous we would never get our hands on the ball."  If you talk ****, expect to get it back.  You can't take it, then don't post.

Its never been a secret that I don't like Bonds, his attitude, and his sketchy actions.  But just because I don't like somebody does not make me wrong. 

And for God's sake, if you can't tell that my posts on the "conflict diamonds" are a complete exaggeration then you really are gullible or just nuts.

I'm no better or worse than you.

Offline Dave B

There is no integrity left to protect in baseball

If you want to be immortal, keep the ball, sell it for millions and donate it all to charity.  Thats much more immortal than the 15 minutes of fame youd get from ESPN as the guy who took a stand and threw it back

There is no integrity left to protect in baseball

If you want to be immortal, keep the ball, sell it for millions and donate it all to charity.  Thats much more immortal than the 15 minutes of fame youd get from ESPN as the guy who took a stand and threw it back

Quite the attitude you have there, Dave.  Your a spokesperson for us all.

You people need to really back the freak off.  I am just one opinion out of many.  You don't like it too bad.  You want to make millions of dollars off someone who is shady as serpent, that is your choice.  Says a lot about your character.

Just because you don't understand why I choose to live my life by the choices I make and the values I have doesn't make me wrong in any sense of the word.

If it came to me getting the ball, I would throw it back.  You don't like that?  Too freaking bad.

Next subject...

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Reminder -- throwing the ball back is no different than throwing any other foreign object on the field, and according to MLB rules, would earn you an ejection from the park, and in some instances an arrest for attempted battery or disorderly conduct.   

Cubs fans throw back opposing home runs.  Why would anyone want to stoop so low as to do something a Cubs fan takes pride in? 

Reminder -- throwing the ball back is no different than throwing any other foreign object on the field, and according to MLB rules, would earn you an ejection from the park, and in some instances an arrest for attempted battery or disorderly conduct.  

Cubs fans throw back opposing home runs.  Why would anyone want to stoop so low as to do something a Cubs fan takes pride in? 

You have to understand this thread is hypothetical considering the chances of one of the people that frequent this actually catches said homerun ball are pretty damn slim to none.

But considering many choose to ignore the fact that Bonds more than likely took an illegal substance, I think they won't mind if we ignore the law about throwing balls back, or at least in terms of this thread.

Offline Dave B

Quite the attitude you have there, Dave.  Your a spokesperson for us all.

You people need to really back the **** off.  I am just one opinion out of many.  You don't like it too bad.  You want to make millions of dollars off someone who is shady as serpent, that is your choice.  Says a lot about your character.

Just because you don't understand why I choose to live my life by the choices I make and the values I have doesn't make me wrong in any sense of the word.

If it came to me getting the ball, I would throw it back.  You don't like that?  Too ****ing bad.

Next subject...

I'm just trying to save you some frustration.

I'm just trying to save you some frustration.

You want to save me some frustration?  Then stop wussy footing around it and just come out and say you think I am an idiot for not wanting to take the money because you obviously think I am nuts for not wanting to.  Apparently it will give you all some sense of accomplishment in getting me to say "I will take the money."  Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not going to say it.

I'm done defending myself.  So, if someone wants to chime in and get this thread back on track, I'm all for it.

Offline nats2playoffs

At RFK Stadium, the person most likely to catch it will be someone in the Nationals' bullpen:  Luis Ayala, Chad Cordero, Ray King, Jon Rauch, Saul Rivera, Chris Schroder, Billy Traber.

Most of these guys could make more money selling the ball than what they're getting paid to pitch for a year.  They might get a new pair of shoes.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Well whatever anyone's opinion, the name-calling and mud-slinging in this thread needs to stop or I'm locking it down.

Offline nats2playoffs

Well whatever anyone's opinion, the name-calling and mud-slinging in this thread needs to stop or I'm locking it down.

But if someone offered you $2.7 million to keep the thread open, would you take the money?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I would throw it back immediately and enter into Baseball Immortality, something money could not buy.

That's funny.

Back on topic, I've thought of this and honestly this decision would really be difficult. On the one hand I feel sort of how NOTLD does on the subject, so I won't condemn or mock him for having his conviction (but it really is hypothetical so we'll never know what he would REALLY do). On the other hand, if the ball is really worth what some think it may be worth then I don't know how I could in good conscience ignore that reality when I know what that amount of money could help me do for my mother and sister.

Offline kimnat

Alright SMOLTZ!  I never thought I'd be thrilled at an opposing pitcher's performance.  But Smoltz did great on Bonds!!!

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Alright SMOLTZ!  I never thought I'd be thrilled at an opposing pitcher's performance.  But Smoltz did great on Bonds!!!

Did anyone else watch the beginning of that game, and hear that announcer tell his little story five times about how Bonds said "you better challenge me tonight" and Smoltz said "you bet I will".  It was so funny how great he thought he was :lol:

Not that I am a Rick Reilly fan but he does have a pretty good editorial in the back of the recent issue of SI about Bonds and "How to Deal With It."

One of his ways is, "Throw the ball back and never have to pay for a beer again."

You can tell he is really Anti-Bonds and thinks he is a disgrace.  He even mentioned how egotistic Bonds is.  Serious but funny little read if you get the chance.

Offline kimnat

Simply put, the guy's a class A jerk!  or in this case I guess a Major League Jerk!  I think that any young pitcher or someone not quite Smoltz's caliber should intentional walk him until he retires!  Practical solution?  Probably not.  Dreamlike quality?  heck yeah!!!!

Offline NatsAddict

I can stand anything about Bonds, and despised him long before he started juicing up just because he was already then a World Class A-Hole.  Frankly, I think it's time to hire Tanya Harding's ex-husband.

Offline ronnynat

I always liked Bonds' play. I've never cared much for baseball players' personalities in the first place because baseball's always been entertainment to me on the ML level. You need your good and bad guys to make the league more entertaining. Dmitri, to me, deserves no more respect than Bonds in that he STRANGLED HIS WIFE! Bonds is a bit easier to "forgive" for his off the field antics, even though I separate these things anyways. I'd most definitely hold on to the ball.

natsfan1a

I don't root for him when he's facing us, obviously, but I always liked Smoltz.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
i would not just for the fact i could sell that piece of sh9it bonds ball for tons of money.

i would do something good with the money. keep some for me and then donate it to the spca or go help the animals of something..

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
I can stand anything about Bonds, and despised him long before he started juicing up just because he was already then a World Class A-Hole.  Frankly, I think it's time to hire Tanya Harding's ex-husband.

QFT