Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF  (Read 22409 times)

Offline Red Porch VIP

Re: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF
« Reply #25: August 12, 2009, 01:45:13 PM »
FWIW, Zimmerman signed my jersey for me Saturday night at the game.  And was cool about it

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #26: August 12, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
FWIW, Zimmerman signed my jersey for me Saturday night at the game.  And was cool about it

Sure, why wouldn't he?  His contract only covers baseball cards, right?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #27: August 12, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »
Sure, why wouldn't he?  His contract only covers baseball cards, right?

I would assume he can't sign baseballs or else he would be doing it.

btw, I think I jinxed Jordan Zimmermann. I got an autographed hat from him on Saturday and told him that I hope his elbow gets better. I guess I shouldn't have said that.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #28: August 12, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
I would assume he can't sign baseballs or else he would be doing it.

btw, I think I jinxed Jordan Zimmermann. I got an autographed hat from him on Saturday and told him that I hope his elbow gets better. I guess I shouldn't have said that.

:lol: His UCL heard that and snapped just to spite you. I'm sure it made him feel a bit better to know people care.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #29: August 21, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268728.html

Eury Perez, cf, Nationals: Think the Nationals don’t have Latin American prospects? Well, you’re mostly right, but Perez could be a hidden gem in the system. Perez, 19, was one of the top prospects last year in the Dominican Summer League and has carried his success over to the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, where he currently has an 18-game hitting streak. In 38 games, Perez is hitting .369/.440/.456 with nearly as many walks (14) as strikeouts (17). At 6-foot, 180 pounds, Perez’s power is below-average, but he has a good feel for hitting and for the strike zone. His above-average speed is also a weapon in center field and on the bases, where he has 13 steals in 20 attempts.

Eury Perez finally gets some love!

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #30: August 26, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »
I haven't see Perez play personally but the Nyjer Morgan comparisons look fair when viewing his statistics (the speed, the OBP etc...). I also have doubts about his age but he could very well be 19 like me.  He looks intriguing , wouldn't be surprised if he starts in haggerstwon next year.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #31: August 26, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »
Mike Trout seems to be progressing well. He was a guy the Nats were rumored to be interested in at 9A.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #32: August 27, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »
On the Angels?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: May 10, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
May 7, BP -Kevin Goldstein with a few comments on Perez: 

With a .381/.443/.503 showing in the Gulf Coast League last year, Nationals outfielder Eury Perez put himself on the map and landed on the Nationals' Top-11 list, but his full-season debut has been a disaster so far, as the 19-year-old is batting a lowly .239/.295/.261 in 25 games for Low-A Hagerstown, leading to some not surprisingly poor reviews from scouts.

"Look, he can absolutely fly and covers a ton of ground in center field, but I have major questions about the bat," the scout explained. "A lot of his hits come through bunts or just beating out weak infield balls, and he's not hitting for average even with that. He's so physically immature that he just isn't strong enough to provide any kind of hard contact." 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #34: May 10, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
The media just loves to use the word "lowly" as frequently as they can with anything that pertains to this organization, don't they?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #35: May 10, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »
Pretty much what I'd expect on a scouting report for a kid that's in his teens and raw.

He's got plenty of time to put on weight and really learn how to play the game.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #36: May 10, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
Pretty much what I'd expect on a scouting report for a kid that's in his teens and raw.

He's got plenty of time to put on weight and really learn how to play the game.

Yeah, he jumped a whole level from GCL to SAL.  I've mentioned it before, but he belongs in Vermont this season and I fully expect him to move him back down there when the short season starts; they are probably just trying to get him extra at-bats.  For a kid from the Dominican, moving from rookie league to low-A is a pretty big move.  You have the language barrier to consider, he has never played a full professional season before, the fact that this is his first time experiencing the pressures of team travel on a bus, and the fact that he is probably living with a host family.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #37: May 10, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
My wife once helped a very confused NYPL Dominican prospect find his gate at the airport. Very nice kid.

Online blue911

« Reply #38: May 10, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
My wife once helped a very confused NYPL Dominican prospect find his gate at the airport. Very nice kid.

I once drank 2 six packs of Presidente beer one evening.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #39: May 18, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »
Single-A Hagerstown
Eury Perez: The center fielder is hitting .248 at Hagerstown, but is 7-for-13 in his last four games. "Eury has really come on in the last 10 days or two weeks," Harris said. "He's quieting his approach - he had a leg kick going that we were trying to minimize. He's staying on balls, recognizing pitches better. He's beginning to blossom. I was in there on Sunday, and his confidence and his body language are significantly different than they were earlier in the year." The 19-year-old Dominican Republic native, Harris said, looks to have turned a corner. "Again, the weather's getting warmer. That does play a factor to young Latin players."

http://masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2010/05/minor-league-updates-with-doug-harris-1.html

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #40: May 28, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
Any new updates?

Offline RD

« Reply #41: May 30, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »
Just looking at the numbers, in his last 10 games, Perez is hitting .278, with a 2B, 9 runs, 2rbi, 4/5 on steals, and a 3/7 BB/K ratio.

Respectable numbers, that are nice considering the jump he's made. I figured he would bounce down to Vermont as well once that gets kicked off, but if he can keep going like he is, you might just see him finish the year at Hagerstown. Clearly some things need to improve, but he will probably repeat the level next year and hopefully show what he's improve on. Not falling into a hole and falling apart with the struggles is a good sign. He's actually getting better as the season goes on, which is awesome. His BB/K ratio is the one that stands out to me most(his lack of extra base hits don't bother me - He's not a homerun guy, and the lack of power and his development can account for not shooting balls into the gaps on a regular basis - it'll come in time). But when you look further, he struck out 21 times in 20 April games. He's only struck out 10 times in 26 May games. So it's another positive that he is putting the bat o nthe ball more as he gets more comfortable at the level.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #42: May 30, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
Yeah, I'd imagine Perez is hitting quite well for his age at a higher level.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: November 08, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
per Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus, Nov 4:

by Kevin Goldstein

Eury Perez, OF, Nationals (DWL: Leones). 2-for-5, RBI, 3 K.

This is one of those players where the statistics might not tell the whole story. After a great showing in the Gulf Coast League last year, Perez hit .299/.345/.381 for Low-A Hagerstown during the regular season, but actually was much better than that, even. After a very slow start, Perez made some adjustments and was among the most dangerous leadoff hitters in the league during the second half, batting .339/.384/.451 after the All-Star break with 41 stolen bases in 47 attempts. The 20-year-old still needs to work on developing a leadoff man's approach, as it's unlikely for him to ever hit for power, but he's one of the more unappreciated prospects in the Nationals system.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: November 08, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »
41 of 47 after the break?  Wow.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #45: November 08, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »
I'm not sure what he means by "statistics might not tell the whole story" since he goes on to tell the story with statistics, but I'll certainly be happy if he pans out.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: November 08, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
I think what he's trying to say is that his final line is not necessarilly indicative of the player he had become at the end of the season.  Might just be a Nyjer Morganesque second half, but the progress from the beginning to the end is encouraging.  I think that's what he's saying.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #47: November 08, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
I think what he's trying to say is that his final line is not necessarilly indicative of the player he had become at the end of the season.  Might just be a Nyjer Morganesque second half, but the progress from the beginning to the end is encouraging.  I think that's what he's saying.

That's how I interpreted it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #48: November 08, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »
I'm not sure what he means by "statistics might not tell the whole story" since he goes on to tell the story with statistics, but I'll certainly be happy if he pans out.

The story is likely that the transition from DSL to rookie league to A ball is probably a really tough one.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #49: November 08, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
Yeah, I understood where he was coming from.  It was just a funny way of putting it.