Author Topic: Norris and Meyers Get Honors  (Read 1373 times)

Norris and Meyers Get Honors
« Topic Start: September 08, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »
From the Club:

NATIONALS NAME DEREK NORRIS MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEAR,

BRAD MEYERS MINOR LEAGUE PITCHER OF THE YEAR  

The Washington Nationals today named catcher Derek Norris as their Minor League Player of the Year and righthander Brad Meyers as their Minor League Pitcher of the Year.  Nationals Senior Vice President and General Manager Mike Rizzo and Vice President of Player Development Bob Boone made the joint announcement.

Norris, 20, hit .286 with 30 doubles, 23 home runs, 84 RBI and 78 runs scored in 126 games with Hagerstown of the Single-A South Atlantic League.  He paced full-season Washington farmhands in home runs, walks (90), on-base percentage (.413), slugging percentage (.513) and OPS (.926).

For his efforts, the right-handed hitting slugger earned both mid-season and post-season SAL All-Star honors.  Last week, Norris was named by the South Atlantic League as its Most Outstanding Major League Prospect.  He was recently cited in Baseball America’s annual Best Tools survey voted upon by league managers as the Best Batting Prospect and Best Power Prospect in the SAL.  He was selected by Washington in the fourth round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft.

Meyers, Washington’s fifth-round selection in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, went a combined 11-3 with a 1.72 ERA in 24 games (23 starts) with Harrisburg of the Double-A Eastern League and Potomac of the Single-A Carolina League.  Meyers’ 1.72 ERA led all full-season minor league pitchers.  He allowed two earned runs or less 20 of 23 starts (87%) this season.

The 24-year-old went 5-1 with a 2.25 ERA (12 ER/48.0 IP) and a 3.9/1 strikeout-to-walk ratio (43 K/11 BB) in nine starts with Harrisburg.  Prior to his July 7 promotion to Harrisburg, Meyers dominated the Carolina League, going 6-2 with a league-best 1.43 ERA (14 ER/88.1 IP) in 15 games (14 starts) with Potomac.  He was selected as a mid-season Carolina League All-Star.  The Loyola Marymount (CA) University product twice earned MiLB.com Carolina League Pitcher of the Week honors (May 4-10 and June 29-July 5).

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Norris and Meyers Get Honors
« Reply #1: September 08, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »
called it

congrats to both :clap: :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: September 08, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »
The big question surrounding the backstop, can he develop into a big league catcher and be consistent at the Major League level? Norris believes he can.

"I just have to stay focused every single pitch and not take any pitches off," Norris said. "When you take a pitch off, it looks like you haven't been trying and makes you look lazy. I have to focus every pitch every game. I strive to get better every single day. Never be content with where you're at. Just go every day and try to prove people wrong."

Norris grew up idolizing former Red great Johnny Bench and he has the opportunity to pick the brain of Nationals assistant GM and VP of Player Development Bob Boone.

"Bob and I have had lunch together a lot and I asked him questions all the time," said Norris. "I still have a lot of questions in the back of my mind for him."

For his efforts, the right-handed hitting slugger earned both mid-season and post-season SAL All-Star honors. Last week, Norris was named by the South Atlantic League as its Most Outstanding Major League Prospect.

Norris will go to Florida to work out before heading to Arizona to play in the Fall League, a challenge he welcomes.

"I'm real excited about it," Norris said. "I've heard nothing but great things about the league... I'm real excited to be a part of that competition and level of play."

He was recently cited in Baseball America's annual Best Tools survey voted upon by league managers as the Best Batting Prospect and Best Power Prospect in the SAL. He was selected by Washington in the fourth round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft.

Meyers' 1.72 ERA led all full-season minor league pitchers. He allowed two earned runs or less 20 of 23 starts this season.

"This year the big thing was using my legs," Meyers said. "Everyone always said use your legs, but it's tough when you don't know how. Fortunately I've had good pitching coaches, coordinator who helped me out with that and it finally clicked."

The 24-year-old went 5-1 with a 2.25 ERA and a 3.9/1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in nine starts with Harrisburg.

Prior to his July 7 promotion to Harrisburg, Meyers dominated the Carolina League, going 6-2 with a league-best 1.43 ERA in 15 games, 14 starts, with Potomac.

He was selected as a mid-season Carolina League All-Star. The Loyola Marymount (CA) University product twice earned MiLB.com Carolina League Pitcher of the Week honors.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: September 08, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
SF, it wasn't really that hard to predict those two would win it.  They deserve it more than anyone else.

The AZL is gonna be awesome b/c we have a stock load of young talent playing together.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #4: September 10, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
Norris grew up idolizing former Red great Johnny Bench

Norris is 20, and Bench retired after 1983 season.  Seems a bit odd, or perhaps the fabrication of yet another Reds connection.

Nonetheless, Norris is a player I am anxiously awaiting to see play. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: September 10, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Norris is 20, and Bench retired after 1983 season.  Seems a bit odd, or perhaps the fabrication of yet another Reds connection.

Nonetheless, Norris is a player I am anxiously awaiting to see play. 

Especially when you consider he didn't start catching until his senior year of high school.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #6: September 10, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
That might be why JimBo drafted him.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #7: September 10, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »

Especially when you consider he didn't start catching until his senior year of high school.
And especially when you consider the fact that he's from Kansas