Poll

Who will be the first pitcher to throw a quality start for the Nats?

Lannan
0 (0%)
Marquis
2 (5.3%)
Wang
0 (0%)
Zimmermann
20 (52.6%)
Olsen
10 (26.3%)
Detwiler
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Mocking Wang Watch  (Read 26063 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Olsen pitched a scoreless two inning in the GCL today.

Maybe his agent wasn't too far off?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Olsen pitched a scoreless two inning in the GCL today.

:clap:

Scotty's a battler.  I don't know if there's much left in that shoulder, but he's going to give it his best shot.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Scotty's a battler.  I don't know if there's much left in that shoulder, but he's going to give it his best shot.

you can directly correlate our nose dive with Olsen going down.  If we get a healthy Olsen for the 2nd half, then this is turning into one heck of a pitching staff:  Strasburg, Olsen, Livan, Martin, and one of Atilano/Stammen/Detwiller

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I added a poll to the top of the thread.

Vote early and often, feel free to change your vote once you've seen the wisdom expressed by your peers, or global moderators.    :mg:

Offline CJames0569

Please God through some miracle let Olsen return for the 2nd half of the season. I could really see this team going on a tear after the all-star break with some healthy arms.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

I'd LIKE it to be Olsen, Lannan, Marquis or Detwiler, but I think it's gonna be Zim'nn

Offline CJames0569

I'd LIKE it to be Olsen, Lannan, Marquis or Detwiler, but I think it's gonna be Zim'nn

Hopefully we don't have to wait that long ;)

Online blue911

I added a poll to the top of the thread.

Vote early and often, feel free to change your vote once you've seen the wisdom expressed by your peers, or global moderators.    :mg:

Olsen has already thrown a quality start. Did you mean "who will be the NEXT pitcher to throw a quality start"?  :whistle:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Olsen has already thrown a quality start. Did you mean "who will be the NEXT pitcher to throw a quality start"?  :whistle:

I meant, who WILL be the first to throw a quality start, not who HAS been the first.     8)

Offline sportsfan882

Good article by Boswell :clap:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070802513.html

And only one pitcher currently rehabbing in the minors is certain of a starting spot as soon as he's physically ready: Jordan Zimmermann. Just 11 months after elbow surgery, his fastball touched 94 mph for Potomac on the Fourth of July. He'll probably be called up Aug. 1 and put in the Nats' rotation in "24-25 days" said one Nats decision-maker with a grin.

Wang's progress has been so complex that a recent "pop" in his repaired shoulder is still being evaluated. Was it a scared-him-to-death setback or, more likely, a sign of progress that scar tissue may have torn, actually speeding up his recovery. Almost every day brings such data to Rizzo. Some of it is franchise-changing, such as the news that Zimmermann lit the gun to 94 mph, a fraction above his average speed as a rookie.

If Zimmermann is fully recovered, "then he's a No. 2 starter -- which to me is saying a lot, like Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling in Arizona. Or else he'll become one bad [bleep] of a third starter," Rizzo said.

"Roy Oswalt is a good comparable for body type and mentality. . . . Jordan led all of baseball in percentage of strikes last year. He went after everybody. As he matures, when he's ahead in the count, he'll learn to get less of the white of the plate. You can teach that. You can't teach the attitude."

Lefty Ross Detwiler, who threw 93 m.p.h. this week in his fifth minor league start, is ready to return as soon as he's sharp enough or someone else pitches himself out of a job.

"If we got back the Detwiler we had last September [1.90 ERA] -- the guy who pitched at 92, touched 94, was tough on both lefties and righties -- then he'd probably be our third starter or a really, really strong No. 4," General Manager Mike Rizzo said. "But he has to trust that his [repaired] hip is healed, use the lower half of his body more and let it fly."

Rizzo makes no bones that he wants a power-pitching rotation, similar to the high-strikeout bullpen he has begun assembling with Clip-Store-and-Save.

"In the N.L. East, with the lineups you face, you gotta have some power stuff," Rizzo said. "It can't be a staff of all 86-88, maybe touch 90, sink it, got to be perfect, got to live on the black."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
He says that, but he's the one that built the rotation full of them.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
He says that, but he's the one that built the rotation full of them.

He worked with what he was given.  All the power guys are on the DL or were picked up with the hopes of bringing them back from the DL.

Offline hammondsnats

JZ: 2 IP, H, HBP, 4 K

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
JZ: 2 IP, H, HBP, 4 K

:clap:                                                                        :thumbs:
                           :woop:

:whip:                           :money:

:az:                        :worship:                           :pray:

:popcorn:

[/irrationaldunnhaterCatsEye]

Offline hammondsnats

Burgess just hit a 3-run bomb.  8th of the year and he already has 59 RBIs. 

Offline hammondsnats

JZ: 3 IP, H, HBP, 5 K

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Good article by Boswell :clap:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070802513.html

That article is dated tomorrow.  Sort of like the 2011 car models coming out now.

Offline Glockypoo

I know D. Norris is hitting below .240 at the moment, but the kid has an amazing eye. His OBP is silly. Two more BBs today.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
That article is dated tomorrow.  Sort of like the 2011 car models coming out now.

Har har - looks like the he missed today's deadline :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

How this all plays out is really going to be interesting to watch.  Rizzo says in there that he wants power pitchers which doesn't bode well for Stammen, Atilano, Lannan et. al.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
How this all plays out is really going to be interesting to watch.  Rizzo says in there that he wants power pitchers which doesn't bode well for Stammen, Atilano, Lannan et. al.

All of them have shown to be Marquis-lite, when Marquis is healthy, i.e. every season but this one. Only one pitcher like that is needed, realistically, and only one of them is making ten million a year.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win

He says he doesn't want all finese pitchers. I think he would be fine with a 4 or 5 being a finese pitcher. We just can't end up in the situation we had this year where the staff was all pitch to contact.

Offline DPMOmaha

All of them have shown to be Marquis-lite, when Marquis is healthy, i.e. every season but this one. Only one pitcher like that is needed, realistically, and only one of them is making ten million a year.
He says he doesn't want all finese pitchers. I think he would be fine with a 4 or 5 being a finese pitcher. We just can't end up in the situation we had this year where the staff was all pitch to contact.
Right, that's what I meant. 

Online blue911

He drives a DeLorean