Author Topic: Nine year contract offer to Pujols from the Marlins  (Read 3866 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Linty - The first championship was Huizenga, of course, not Loria.  Loria was owner in 2003.  While he spent money on Pudge and maybe a few other pieces on that team, I don't think he spent on long term contracts to build them. i don't recall the staff other than Beckett.   Was that the year Rentareck had the winning hit?  internally developed, as was Miggy.  IIRC, the 2003 team was made up of a lot of the pieces that dombrowski brought in when he blew up the 1997 team, like Lowell. 

It just has not been Loria's style to go long on anyone (other than Lowell, who was internal).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Yes but in those instances did he give long-term contracts?  Both times, after winning, he unloaded the expensive players.  He's not going to be able to do that with the contracts that are being rumored.
Loria only won once, in 2003, but you are right about the lack of long term deals on that team.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Linty - The first championship was Huizenga, of course, not Loria. Loria was owner in 2003.  While he spent money on Pudge and maybe a few other pieces on that team, I don't think he spent on long term contracts to build them. i don't recall the staff other than Beckett.   Was that the year Rentareck had the winning hit?  internally developed, as was Miggy.  IIRC, the 2003 team was made up of a lot of the pieces that dombrowski brought in when he blew up the 1997 team, like Lowell. 

It just has not been Loria's style to go long on anyone (other than Lowell, who was internal).

Note, I only said once! ;)

The ONLY reason to put some weight to it is that he's done this once before... and bought himself a championship. If he wants to, he's certainly got the resources to pull it off again.

Offline BerkeleyNat

Those new uniforms would be enough to keep my from signing with them if I was Pujols or Reyes. They are hideous.

Offline JMUalumni

Wait, I'm a bit lost here.  How exactly did he buy a championship?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Those new uniforms would be enough to keep my from signing with them if I was Pujols or Reyes. They are hideous.

The black hats are pretty sweet.  The uniforms are pretty ugly though.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Miami's offer was for less than $200 million. In other words, they're not serious about it.

Online HalfSmokes

Miami's offer was for less than $200 million. In other words, they're not serious about it.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2011/11/16/agent-for-albert-pujols-talks-with-cardinals-marlins-offer-225-million-report/

some sources have it as 9 years $225

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Conflicting reports are conflicting. Your source seems more reliable though.

Can't freak with Latino Fox News.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Online HalfSmokes

It could be less than 200 with incentives making it worth over 225

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Linty - The first championship was Huizenga, of course, not Loria.  Loria was owner in 2003.  While he spent money on Pudge and maybe a few other pieces on that team, I don't think he spent on long term contracts to build them. i don't recall the staff other than Beckett.

Seriously?  Their staff basically won them the championship that year.  It was Penny, Beckett, Willis, and Burnett.

Ok, apparently it was Mark Redman and not Burnett due to some injury of Burnett that year.  In any event, Beckett and Willis carried them to that World Series.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Seriously?  Their staff basically won them the championship that year.  It was Penny, Beckett, Willis, and Burnett.

Ok, apparently it was Mark Redman and not Burnett due to some injury of Burnett that year.  In any event, Beckett and Willis carried them to that World Series
I remembered the Burnett injury but, sad to  say, it has been so long since Willis was good I forgot he was good in '03.  As for Penny, my bad. 

Point remains - that team was built on players developed internally or acquired by trades dombrowski puled off disassembling the '97 team.

Offline BerkeleyNat

Can't freak with Latino Fox News.

Spanish Language News anyone?

Offline aussienatsfan

I can't criticize the Marlins.

Heck, we gave 126M to Jayson Werth.

this, sadly

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
The Fox Latino news story is referring to the Tim Brown report, which was of a 9-year offer.  The $225 million was Brown's own speculation.  That must be what it is though since they are citing reports and not sources, and we'd know about any $225 million report.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline PC

From mlbtr:

11:20pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the dollar amount on the Marlins' nine-year offer to Pujols is believed to be "well below" what the Cardinals offered prior to the season.

The contract proposal has to be at least what the Cardinals offered otherwise they're  NOT serious.

Online HalfSmokes

From mlbtr:

The contract proposal has to be at least what the Cardinals offered otherwise they're  NOT serious.

pulling a Lerner

Offline PebbleBall

pulling a Lerner

The Lerners' offer was in December and very competative with the winning bid, which was from the team Teixeira (assuming you mean Teixeira) wanted to play for all along.  The Marlins offer was short of an offer that's been known for, what, 7 months - from Pujols's current franchise  That's a whole lot easier to do.  It's impossible to rationally suggest the Nationals offer intentionally undercut the Yankees, which could not have been known to them at the time.  This is a total apples and oranges situation. 

I'm not defending the Lerners.  I think Mark Lerner might be more ill-advised than he is cheap, which is scarier in the long run.  I just don't think it's hard to believe they really wanted Teixeira and were sincere and going after him.  I think that's what all signs point to as the logical conclusion.  It doesn't mean they're spend-crazy, it doesn't mean they're good owners.  It just means they really wanted Teixeira just like they really (apparently) wanted Werth. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline hammondsnats

pulling a Lerner

lol ... can't wait to see LANC come in and say "hey look at the marlins lowballing Pujols :lmao: "

Offline PebbleBall

Ken Rosenthal:

Loria on whether are FAs are serious about #Marlins: "All you have to do is look at (new) ballpark and you won't even ask those questions."

I'm surprised he didn't work in the number for the ticket office.