Author Topic: So THAT'S how to win Super Bowls  (Read 2976 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

So THAT'S how to win Super Bowls
« Topic Start: September 12, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
The apparent attempt by the Patriots to intercept radio frequencies would have allowed them to hear communications between opponents' coaches, as well as hearing plays called to the earphones in their opponent's quarterback's helmet.  Since the Jets head coach is a former assistant coach of the Patriots, maybe he have already knew about the practice, and warned the league.

Kind of like 2005, when Jose Guillen warned Frank Robinson about the alteration of a pitcher's glove in Anaheim, and the ejections that ensued.

NFL Weighing Patriots' Punishment for Spying
September 11, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL reportedly is considering punishing the New England Patriots for spying on the New York Jets in their season opener.  ESPN.com, citing league sources, reported Tuesday that commissioner Roger Goodell has determined the Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the Jets' coaches. But the report also said the Patriots have not yet presented their case to the league. The Web site's report said Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks."  A league spokesman, however, said only that an investigation is under way. Both teams said no decision has been made.

NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory Sunday. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches as they signaled to players on the field.  Last season, the Green Bay Packers had an issue with a man wearing a Patriots staff credential who was carrying a video camera on their sideline. "The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game," the league said Monday in a statement from spokesman Greg Aiello. "Clubs have specifically been reminded in the past that the videotaping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals on the sidelines is prohibited.  "We are looking into whether the Patriots violated this rule."

There also are questions regarding the Patriots' use of radio frequencies during the game.  Patriots owner Robert Kraft was asked when he expected a verdict, but said those questions had to be directed toward Goodell.  "There is an investigation going on now, and perhaps an adjudication of it, and I think it would be inappropriate at this time to make any comment," Kraft told reporters at a charity appearance Tuesday. "When you're successful in anything, a lot of people like to try to take you down and do different things. We understand that.  "We worked very hard to try to put an organization together that we all could be proud of in New England, and we're very proud of the New England Patriots organization and the record that they've established over the last 13 seasons and one game."

Offline ronnynat

Re: So THAT'S how to win Super Bowls
« Reply #1: September 12, 2007, 11:09:32 AM »
Terrible. With the skilled players they have on that team, why do this? They were even warned before the season started, according to ESPN.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2: September 12, 2007, 11:21:06 AM »
Terrible. With the skilled players they have on that team, why do this? They were even warned before the season started, according to ESPN.

Maybe they're really not THAT skilled... just the beneficiaries of CHEATING.

The NFL should throw the book at them. Take away ALL of their draft choices for next year.  And change the outcome of the game too.  Record a WIN for the Jets and a LOSS for the Patriots.  (Just as the Washington Senators final game in 1971 was awarded to the Yankees, when the fans ran onto the field in the 9th inning, while the Senators were winning.)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #3: September 12, 2007, 12:16:54 PM »
NFL-GATE!

NEW YORK -- A story in Wednesday's New York Daily News claims that Jets coach Eric Mangini, a former New England assistant under Bill Belichick, came armed with keen knowledge of the team's surveillance methods -- and finally decided to act.  "[The Jets] knew they did it," the Daily News wrote, citing a person with knowledge of the situation, who sent the newspaper an e-mail. "They caught the guy a year ago, but couldn't do anything about it. When Eric came, he said that's what they used to do. Bill is going to be [ticked] at Eric. He kissed and told."  Sunday's game was the fifth time Mangini has coached against Belichick since joining the Jets.

Get Mangini's full testimony.  Then take away the Super Bowl rings and records, if he confesses that the Patriots CHEATED in those games too.  If all the NFL does is take away a draft choice or two, Congress should hold televised hearings.  And enact legislation to stop the cheating.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: September 12, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
I wonder how widespread that stuff is.  Nonetheless, it IS disgraceful for the Patriots. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: September 12, 2007, 01:14:10 PM »
I am a jets fan and am not all that infuriated by this. I would like to get the picks though. 

The only reason I am not all that upset by this is because one COULD steal the signs just using their brain. It would be difficult and require a great memory but it could happen.  Or you could just do it with a pen and paper.

Write down down and distance
Describe signs flashed

And that would be within the rules I think.

To work around spying, have two or three guys flash in the the play, while only one is the real one.  Or do like HS, send in a player with a play.

With all the specialize packages teams run, there are plenty of opportunites to send in a new guy with a play.

I would be more upset if this radio communcation thing is true

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: September 12, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
People steal signs in baseball all the time. There was an elaborate theory about the lights at Ameriquest Field a couple of years ago when the Rangers has a really lopsided home/away split. But there's no rule against it in baseball.

Give the Jets the victory and the Pats a loss - the division loss is a big penalty.

They were saying that the Pats would use this knowledge at halftime to adjust their play packages - one could easily look at their performance before and after halftime the past few years and get some idea of the effectiveness of the system.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: September 12, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »
There also are questions regarding the Patriots' use of radio frequencies during the game.  Patriots owner Robert Kraft was asked when he expected a verdict, but said those questions had to be directed toward Goodell.  "There is an investigation going on now, and perhaps an adjudication of it, and I think it would be inappropriate at this time to make any comment," Kraft told reporters at a charity appearance Tuesday. "When you're successful in anything, a lot of people like to try to take you down and do different things. We understand that.  "We worked very hard to try to put an organization together that we all could be proud of in New England, and we're very proud of the New England Patriots organization and the record that they've established over the last 13 seasons and one game."

That's exactly the kind of response you would expect from somebody who got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.  There was nothing faintly resembling a denial of the charges. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: September 12, 2007, 01:38:37 PM »
I am a jets fan and am not all that infuriated by this. 

You don't care if the Patriots' defense knows your offensive play as soon as the Jets' offense does?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9: September 12, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »
You don't care if the Patriots' defense knows your offensive play as soon as the Jets' offense does?

I do. But I feel like there are ways to do it legally that maybe everybody can do or does already. There was a sidebar in the article on ESPN.com where Herm Edwards talks about doing this very thing just from the use of game film and existing camera shots.  The Patriots just tried to take a short cut or make it much more effective.  I feel like the methods I described in my last post are doable and just as effective as what the Pats tried. 

If there is some honor code and the Pats were the only ones doing this, I'd be upset, but I dont think that is the case.

Teams should try to find a way to work around it.  All the NFL needs to do is allow a defensive player to have a radio in his helmet too and the problem is solved.

Then if teams start screwing with radio communications, I would have a problem with that.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #10: September 12, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »
...Then if teams start screwing with radio communications, I would have a problem with that.

I think that could be the worst part of this smoking gun:
(a) Patriots find out the play that the Jets' defense has just called. 
(b) Tom Brady already has an earphone in his helmet.
(c) Brady is told what defense is being used. 

No WONDER he is such a good quarterback, (even with a shoulder injury, that's been on the injury report every week for three years.)  That would make Brady a WITNESS, who can be called before Congress. 
  "What did you know, and when did you know it?"

"The NFL is going to take away ALL of OUR headphones as a sanction?"

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: September 12, 2007, 02:52:51 PM »
I think that could be the worst part of this smoking gun:
(a) Patriots find out the play that the Jets' defense has just called. 
(b) Tom Brady already has an earphone in his helmet.
(c) Brady is told what defense is being used. 

No WONDER he is such a good quarterback, (even with a shoulder injury, that's been on the injury report every week for three years.)  That would make Brady a WITNESS, who can be called before Congress. 
  "What did you know, and when did you know it?"

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
"The NFL is going to take away ALL of OUR headphones as a sanction?"

I'm curious:

Is there a method you use for choosing regular font, italics, bold, bold italics, colors. Its seems like it would take forever to do all that unless you have the codes committed to memory

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: September 12, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm curious:

Is there a method you use for choosing regular font, italics, bold, bold italics, colors. Its seems like it would take forever to do all that unless you have the codes committed to memory

Is there anyone who puts more heart and soul into every post than N2P?

I'll answer my own question - no.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #13: September 12, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
I'm curious: Is there a method you use for choosing regular font, italics, bold, bold italics, colors. Its seems like it would take forever to do all that unless you have the codes committed to memory

It's pretty easy, thanks to buttons that The Chief has installed above the window you use for posting. 

First: Highlight the text you want to change (by holding the left click down on the mouse while running it over the text you want to change.) 

Then: Have fun using combinations of the stuff above the window:

The B on the first row on the far left will change the highlighted text to bold, creating a [ b ] at the beginning and a [ / ] at the end without the spaces in the bracket (on the message before you Post or Preview it.)  If then click on the I button next to the B, it puts the same text into italics (with an [ i ] and [ /i ] without the spacing in your text.)  You can make the type size larger with the A button on the top right (you have to change the font size number to make it bigger or smaller.  As long as you don't type another word or character, all of the highlights remain.  You can keep adding MORE effects, like Change Color or Change Color by adding Bold

It's easier to focus on the message or get a joke better with highlighting.  You can make it LOOK the way you would say it to their face, by using these tools.  If you hold the mouse over each effect above the window where you type, a brief description of what each effect does will show up.  Almost nobody uses the cross out effect.  I didn't realize we had it until someone else made a joke about their own misstatement that way. 

Just try one effect, see how easy it is to do, and you may get hooked.  Most people are in too much of a hurry to post their thoughts and curses in the Game Threads to use these effects.  You can use Preview to see how it looks before clicking Post, or just Post and then Modify to fix the things you mess up.

While there are many smileys provided, you can click on the first button in the 2nd row (which looks like a painting), and insert photos and smileys from other sites.  I had never done that until I saw others do it in this Forum for laughs.  The number of creative smileys available has EXPLODED in the last year.  I use what someone else created for that purpose...

Copying

By the way, if you see a word underlined in light red, it's actually a spell checker, telling you that your word is missppelledd.  The light red line only goes away if it is corrected.  If a [ or ] shows up on your posting, without the correct format you chose, sometimes the highlighting gets messed up.  If you Modify and manually delete or type what normally appears in the brackets, it will show up correctly. 

You can add a small photo or Smiley in your member Profile so that it will show up under your user name, as your avatar
The Chief and Kenz aFan have helped people with their avatars.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: September 12, 2007, 04:12:38 PM »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #15: September 12, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
i just wanted to know how you decide to either bold or italic something, maybe do both, or change the color

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: September 12, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
i just wanted to know how you decide to either bold or italic something, maybe do both, or change the color

I submit it to my change committee, which requires 2 weeks notice and a meeting of the affected departments, before approving any changes.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #17: September 12, 2007, 05:38:01 PM »

For a joke, highlighting the punch line or phrase makes it more obvious that it's a joke, or funnier, just as a stand up comedian might do.  For the Patriots Spy-Gate Scandal, just think about it... the fact that most people will overlook at first is that actually using stolen signals means that Patriots players who got that information are now witnesses who can testify about how it was used during the games.  I don't think the NFL should be allowed to brush this thing under the rug so fast.  All over the country, there are millions of dollars in illegal gambling bets at stake...

Note that the 800 number does NOT have enough digits to complete any call.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #18: September 12, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
NFL-GATE!

NEW YORK -- A story in Wednesday's New York Daily News claims that Jets coach Eric Mangini, a former New England assistant under Bill Belichick, came armed with keen knowledge of the team's surveillance methods -- and finally decided to act.  "[The Jets] knew they did it," the Daily News wrote, citing a person with knowledge of the situation, who sent the newspaper an e-mail. "They caught the guy a year ago, but couldn't do anything about it. When Eric came, he said that's what they used to do. Bill is going to be [ticked] at Eric. He kissed and told."  Sunday's game was the fifth time Mangini has coached against Belichick since joining the Jets.

Get Mangini's full testimony.  Then take away the Super Bowl rings and records, if he confesses that the Patriots CHEATED in those games too.  If all the NFL does is take away a draft choice or two, Congress should hold televised hearings.  And enact legislation to stop the cheating.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Just for the hell of it, I wonder how many can ID the folks in the front row of this Watergate pic. I have 3 of the 4.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #19: September 12, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »
Chuck Colson on the far left?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #20: September 12, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »

Nope...Howard Baker.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #21: September 12, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »

Besides....that has to be the first time anyone has ever said the words "Chuck Colson" and "the far left" in the same sentence.
 :rofl:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #22: September 12, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »
Besides....that has to be the first time anyone has ever said the words "Chuck Colson" and "the far left" in the same sentence.
 :rofl:

LOLOLOL!!!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #23: September 12, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »
Nope...Howard Baker.

For real?  Howard Baker????  I only recognize him w/ white hair!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: September 12, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
John Dean far right?