Author Topic: 2012 Summer Olympics and Qualifying Rounds  (Read 11470 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
2012 Summer Olympics and Qualifying Rounds
« Topic Start: July 01, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
Great Gymnastics tonight.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 2012 Summer Olympics and Qualifying Rounds
« Reply #1: July 01, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »
Went to the swim trials on Saturday.  Got to see Phelps and Lochte swim again.  Really underrated event.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #2: July 01, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
Wow cool!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: July 02, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
It really was.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #4: July 25, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
Bump!  God forbid I start another thread!  OPENING CEREMONIES tomorrow.

Women's soccer wins today!

Michael Phelps to miss Opening Ceremonies due to early Sat race!

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #5: July 26, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
Apparently there's going to be a 40-foot Voldemort statue at the opening ceremonies.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: July 26, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
I'm kind of looking forward to the men's cycling road race.  At this point, I'm familiar with enough of the deep rosters to have a decent idea of who can do what.  It's an event more prone to unexpected winners, although the british cyclist Mark Cavendish is the likely winner if he is near the front at the end.  One of the other cyclists who has been very successful this year, Peter Sagan, is riding without any supporting team (he's the only Slovakian).  In contrast, Cavendish will be riding with 4 team mates to pace him, swap bikes in case of a flat, ride ahead so he can stay in the slip stream, and fetch food and water for him, including the top two finshers in the Tour de France.  More than likely, 3 different countries will medal. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: July 26, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »
The Manx Missile is in the zone, though I'd love to see Sagan medal just to see his dance again. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: July 26, 2012, 09:02:06 AM »
Matt Goss may have a real good chance this time around. Australia has a pretty stacked team, with O'Grady, Rogers, Gerrans, and Cadel.

Rojas is there for Spain, but I'm thinking Luis Leon Sanchez sneaks off for the win.  Boonen will be marked, so maybe Gilbert. 

Farrar will crash several times, of course.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #9: July 26, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that if that hill circuit has any teeth the race will be won out of a 5 or so man breakaway.  Voeckler or Leipheimer, anyone?  But if the pack stays together then yeah, smart money would have to be on Cavendish. 

I'm kind of looking forward to the men's cycling road race.  At this point, I'm familiar with enough of the deep rosters to have a decent idea of who can do what.  It's an event more prone to unexpected winners, although the british cyclist Mark Cavendish is the likely winner if he is near the front at the end.  One of the other cyclists who has been very successful this year, Peter Sagan, is riding without any supporting team (he's the only Slovakian).  In contrast, Cavendish will be riding with 4 team mates to pace him, swap bikes in case of a flat, ride ahead so he can stay in the slip stream, and fetch food and water for him, including the top two finshers in the Tour de France.  More than likely, 3 different countries will medal. 

• babble on
« Reply #10: July 26, 2012, 11:22:20 AM »
I think the men's road race is before the women's, so really damned early...like 5 am on Saturday.  It's pretty long though, so it will probably go for at least 5 hours.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: July 26, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
I really want to see if Bolt can round into form and put on another performance like he did last Olympics. Same with Phelps.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #12: July 27, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »
I really want to see if Bolt can round into form and put on another performance like he did last Olympics.

I think Yohan Blake is going to beat him again. That dude can run. I don't think he'll get the 100m record, but he might beat Bolt's 200m record.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: July 27, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
this transition and percussion cadence is pretty cool.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: July 28, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
That cauldron lighting was pretty sweet.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #15: July 28, 2012, 01:13:03 AM »

If I were in London I would be disappointed the flame wasn't on an elevated platform to be seen outside the stadium. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #17: July 28, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »

Deaf kids singing national anthem - awesome
Peter Pan villians dancing nurses thing - relatively awesome
Mr Bean Chariots of Fire - greatest thing ever
teenage dancing gibberish - garbage, but the lead girl sure was pretty

Overall Grade: B

I missed Paul McCartney

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: July 28, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »
The villains probably scared the hell out of a lot of kids- so awesome as was the explicit tribute to socialized medicine . It was an interesting contrast with Beijing - totalitarian power coming out party vs British quirkiness

Watching cycling now - very few landscape shots, flyovers (tree canopy makes those suck) or zoom out views of the course - the landscapes are one of the reasons I watch cycling, so their porducer gets an F from me

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: July 28, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
Missed the Peter Pan thing (or fast forwarded through it, I don't remember...), thought the socialized medicine part was weird.  Bean was great.  Loved the hill of flags.  I really like the industrial revolution portion of the performance as well.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: July 28, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »
Is the cycling like NASCAR where all the bikes have to be built to identical specs?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #21: July 28, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
Is the cycling like NASCAR where all the bikes have to be built to identical specs?

Minimum weights but the geometries and frames are definitely different.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: July 28, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
Did anyone else see the race leader take that header into the barrier when he took a corner too fast?

That was pretty crazy. Looked like he broke his shoulder.

• babble on
« Reply #23: July 28, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
Cancellara...poor guy.  He crashed badly in the TdF a couple of weeks ago. 

Good for Vinokourov...I liked how when he was busted for doping a number of years ago there was no b.s., just a tearful mea culpa and then he quietly shuffled off into the night to serve his sentence.  And then when the UCI allowed him to compete again, he was effusive with gratitude, no self-righteous crap.  And here he is about to retire and winning gold. 

Did anyone else see the race leader take that header into the barrier when he took a corner too fast?

That was pretty crazy. Looked like he broke his shoulder.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: July 28, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
I hope Cancellara can compete in the time trial, but that shoulder did not look good.  When Spain had 3 in the up front bunch, and one was Luis Leon Sanchez, I thought I might have nailed it (see reply #8). 

Nicely timed break by Uran. Teejay was gassed, and no help from Spain (back of the break so could  not react) or Swiss (with Cancellara down, less incentive), who had riders in the break.  When Oz placed O'Grady in the break all day, they had no incentive to chase and deliver Cavendish to the line.  The brits needed more cooperation from the sprinter teams, of course.

I thought it interesting that eventually Eisel (Austria) came up to help Cav after Froome fell off.  Friendship before tactics.  Cav paced Eisel in some of the climbing stages in the TdF.