Author Topic: Shirlington/ S Arlington area (advice needed)  (Read 1849 times)

Offline NationalHeat

Shirlington/ S Arlington area (advice needed)
« Topic Start: December 10, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
Hey everyone, so the girlfrriend and I are looking into buying a townhouse in Shirlington. Right off Walter Reed, less than half a mile to the Shirlington village. Area seemed great, commute should be fine. I've lived most of my DC life in the city and Bethesda, so this area is relatively unknown to me. To those in/around this neighborhood, do you recommend it? Seems fun+good home prices, so really thinking about making the jump.

Any and all comments welcome.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: Shirlington/ S Arlington area (advice needed)
« Reply #1: December 10, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
I have friends that have lived right off of Walter Reed for years, not Shirlington proper, but I am familiar with the area. Seems like a nice place, and also there looks like there are shops and restaurants around there.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2: December 10, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
When I lived there, it was a decent commute provided I took public transportation.  I lived less than a mile from the Pentagon - took a bus there and then the train in.  It was a quick and easy way into the city.

Driving into DC was a nightmare and getting around with your car can be problematic.

Loved the lifestyle because as Frau said there were a ton of nice restaurants in my area and the neighborhood was pretty safe (of course, I didn't have kids at the time...).  There was this great diner within a two block walk of my house that I my wife and I loved to go to  at 2:00 a.m. after working a tech rehearsal or a strike - can't recall the name but it's pretty popular (it's been 12 years...).  Bob and something or other?????  Also, there are a bunch of good recreational sports leagues if you play a sport - I played baseball and my brother who still ives in the area plays in a hockey league in Shirlington. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: December 10, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
I lived just up Quaker Lane in Parkfairfax for 9 years.    :shock:

Loved that area, and Shirlington is far better than it used to be.  Excellent bus service to the Pentagon metro station if you commute into DC.  Right off the Four Mile Run/W&OD bike trail, with access through the trails complex to DC, Mount Vernon, Old Town, Vienna, Falls Church, etc.  You'll be very close also to Mount Vernon Ave and its eclectic restaurant and shops mix, and not to mention the world renowned Birchmere.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: December 10, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
Being within walking distance of the Weenie Beenie is a bonus

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #5: December 10, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
Being within walking distance of the Weenie Beenie is a bonus

I thought you were on a 'liquid' diet.  :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: December 10, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
Bob and something or other????? 

Edith

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #7: December 10, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: December 10, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
Bob and Edith's - that's it!

Still the best greasy spoon on the Pike.   

http://www.bobandediths.com/

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: December 10, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
I thought you were on a 'liquid' diet.  :lol:

Ain't no use goin on a diet iffen ya can't have a Weenie Beenie

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: December 10, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
I would also observe that the Atlantis in Bradley Shopping Center (near intersection of Quaker, Braddock and King Street) has excellent steak and cheese subs and the fattest, most overstuffed with meat gyros in the area.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: December 10, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
Now yer talkin'

fattest, most overstuffed with meat gyros in the area.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #12: December 10, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »
Hey everyone, so the girlfrriend and I are looking into buying a townhouse in Shirlington. Right off Walter Reed, less than half a mile to the Shirlington village. Area seemed great, commute should be fine. I've lived most of my DC life in the city and Bethesda, so this area is relatively unknown to me. To those in/around this neighborhood, do you recommend it? Seems fun+good home prices, so really thinking about making the jump.

Any and all comments welcome.
I thought that area was turning around, but still a little... Rough..

Great access to bike trails though...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: December 10, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I thought that area was turning around, but still a little... Rough..

Great access to bike trails though...

I remember some "roughness" along Four Mile but VA is a right to carry state (Commonwealth).   :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #14: December 10, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
Teardrop tattoos and switchblades are a necessary counterbalance to the brown flipflops and madras shorts of Clarendon. 

I remember some "roughness" along Four Mile but VA is a right to carry state (Commonwealth).   :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: December 10, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
Teardrop tattoos and switchblades are a necessary counterbalance to the brown flipflops and madras shorts of Clarendon. 

I hear ya.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: December 10, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
So what block would be on?

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #17: December 11, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
The Condominium complex at the corner of Arlington Mill Dr and Walter Reed Dr S.

My realtor told me its a good area that is actually getting even better. Everyone I saw in that complex was mid to late twenties couples, many of which had little kids (fits what we are/will be in 5 years.) I like that the bus stop is RIGHT there, that I can walk to the Village (living in Bethesda now, so this is a big plus for us as we are used to urban style living) and that I am only three miles to Pentagon City and 3-4 miles to the orange line corridor area.

My realtor said west on Four Mile Run is a little sketchy, towards the Columbia Heights West area, but being latino myself, I can't say I'm too scared about it. I lived in Fairfax at one point while at GMU and people said it was dangeous because of MS-13; never really noticed anything bad.

Would you all agree this particular part (Walter Reed and Arlington Mill) is good/safe? Or am I overlooking something?

Also, is Shirlington>Fairlington or vice versa?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: December 11, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
The development you are looking at isn't a bunch of gray townhouses, is it?  I had an old* girl friend who used ot live there.  I don't know much about the area since all the development.

* At my age, "old" could still mean current, but in this case, I mean former.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: December 11, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
Random advice- absent good reason,  don't trust your realtor,  they have every incentive to stear you towards the quickest sale possible,  so I'd expect them to be reinforcing what ever view you express

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #20: December 11, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »
The development you are looking at isn't a bunch of gray townhouses, is it?  I had an old* girl friend who used ot live there.  I don't know much about the area since all the development.

* At my age, "old" could still mean current, but in this case, I mean former.

No those are the Heatherlea townhouses, a little out of my price range. Mine would be the development right behind it.

Halfsmokes: yeah I agree wholeheartedly with what you just said. Luckily, my realtor has been pretty awesome. She has steered me away from bad neighborhoods and bad purchases, even if they are more expensive.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: December 11, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
Halfsmokes: yeah I agree wholeheartedly with what you just said. Luckily, my realtor has been pretty awesome. She has steered me away from bad neighborhoods and bad purchases, even if they are more expensive.

you got lucky, our guy was good at finding houses exactly at our pre-approved limit (never mind that we wanted to only spend 75% of that). We ended up finding our house on zillow. The realtor came in handy actually helping us negotiate and get repairs made to the house though

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #22: December 11, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
Thoughts on Fairlington?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: December 11, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
PS   Strasburg lived in South Arlington when he arrived in town.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: December 11, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Thoughts on Fairlington?

Great place to raise a young family.

I'm partial to Parkfairfax, on the other side of Quaker Lane.  It's also an easy walk to Shirlington (via the pedestrian overpass across 395) but contains far fewer units per acre, a quieter and more bucolic setting.  But people love Fairlington too for sure.  The units have more modern conveniences, and many have basements unlike Parkfairfax.