Author Topic: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?  (Read 4428 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?
« Reply #50: October 09, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
Agreed about Chicago, but what of St Louis?

:clap:

I had forgotten that OM is a Cubs fan.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #51: October 09, 2012, 03:52:39 PM »
They are arguably among MLB's best fans, in terms of knowledgeability and of sticking with the team (for the most part) when less-than-successful times come, as well as in winning seasons.

That having been said though, I'm really hoping we don't get a large opposition turn-out tomorrow (which seems possible with so many here unable to go because of the timing) - I remember them turning out big-time back in the RFK days.

Is knowlegeability a word? ;-)

Offline LA2DC

« Reply #52: October 09, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
Agreed about Chicago, but what of St Louis?

He said Budweiser. Not Old Style.

Online blue911

« Reply #53: October 09, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
The only way for a fan base to prove their knowledgibility is by throwing some jerk from the upper deck for starting the wave. Until that's done, we're all equal.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #54: October 09, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »
The only way for a fan base to prove their knowledgibility is by throwing some jerk from the upper deck for starting the wave. Until that's done, we're all equal.

:crackup:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #55: October 10, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
I am just surprised that when your scratch the surface of the red of Natitude how much Cardinal red lies underneath. Where is the fire Natstown?

Death to the red birds! :whip:

I won't be wearing red in TBSITH this afternoon - I've got my blue Expos sweatshirt, purchased from the team store on one of my baseball trips up there in the 1990's. (Even when attendance hit rock bottom in the late 90's the Expos still ran a pretty good team store.)

Offline cards12in12

« Reply #56: October 10, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
Or "knowledgeability" is simply code for an arrogant,  media whore fan base with delusions of superiority driven largely by a lack of viable entertainment options for the denizens of a semi-urban wasteland in the middle of nowhere.  Sure the franchise has some history but most of the Budweiser soaked imbeciles don't know about it anyway.

Just like Reds fans, when you can't beat'em insult them. You have one good season and now you think you're on top of the world. It's hard to remember all the history of the cardinals when there's so much. You guys have it easy.

To answer the OP, no these teams are not equal. Eventually you may figure out that the regular season doesn't matter anymore. Just ask the Phillies how that worked out for them last year.  The Cards are battle tested and have played with their backs against the wall in the postseason. Good luck with game today, though. Hopefully tomorrow it is under the lights.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: October 10, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
Just like Reds fans, when you can't beat'em insult them. You have one good season and now you think you're on top of the world. It's hard to remember all the history of the cardinals when there's so much. You guys have it easy.

To answer the OP, no these teams are not equal. Eventually you may figure out that the regular season doesn't matter anymore. Just ask the Phillies how that worked out for them last year.  The Cards are battle tested and have played with their backs against the wall in the postseason. Good luck with game today, though. Hopefully tomorrow it is under the lights.

:asplode:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #58: October 10, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
LOL nice troll

Offline BCH89

« Reply #59: October 10, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »
Guess not...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #60: October 10, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
Guess not...

Let's see how the series finishes up.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #61: October 10, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
Yeah, bummer

Great crowd today though -

Let's see what they do with Det on the hill tomorrow

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #62: October 10, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
To answer the OP, no these teams are not equal. Eventually you may figure out that the regular season doesn't matter anymore.

:clap:

Sanity.

It's hard to remember all the history of the cardinals when there's so much.

I only wish we had Vince "Firecracker" Coleman and Pruitt-Igoe...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #63: October 10, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
the cards are a very very good team as we're seeing this week, much much deeper pitching staff.

Offline BCH89

« Reply #64: October 10, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
Let's see how the series finishes up.

I'm not losing faith at all. There's still a game tomorrow and Friday at home. I was just a tad frustrated.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #65: October 10, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
I'm the first person to jump on the naysayers who declare it's over before actually is, but this feels like the Caps/Habs series to some degree as it feels inevitable.

We got outplayed in the 1st game and "stole" that game, as we had no business allowing that many walks and loading the bases up like that and still winning.  We were bullied around in game 2, and game 3.  We weren't competitive and we appeared to be intimidated.  I hope I'm wrong.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #66: October 10, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm the first person to jump on the naysayers who declare it's over before actually is, but this feels like the Caps/Habs series to some degree as it feels inevitable.

We got outplayed in the 1st game and "stole" that game, as we had no business allowing that many walks and loading the bases up like that and still winning.  We were bullied around in game 2, and game 3.  We weren't competitive and we appeared to be intimidated.  I hope I'm wrong.

This is nothing like the Caps/Habs series --

The Caps completely, utterly and thoroughly dominated that series and lost

Pretty sure that's not happening here

Caps/Lightening Series is a more apt comparison

(a lot of Caps misery to draw upon I suppose)

Sigh ...

Offline grizzly

« Reply #67: October 10, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
This is nothing like the Caps/Habs series --

The Caps completely, utterly and thoroughly dominated that series and lost

Pretty sure that's not happening here

Caps/Lightening Series is a more apt comparison

(a lot of Caps misery to draw upon I suppose)

Sigh ...

They fired off high volume, low percentage, desperation shots from the perimeter towards the end of that series, I don't think we dominated.

The Caps/Lighting series is a good comparison too, because even though "we're only down 1", "we're only down 2", etc we were down by so much more than that when you actually watched the games.  That's the problem with this series.  We are 1-2 in this series but that one win was theft and the other two aren't encouraging.

I'm not hoping for ONE win tomorrow, I'm hoping that everything we've seen the past few days is a mirage and we do a 180.  That's not encouraging.

Offline CurlyW4lyfe

« Reply #68: October 10, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
But where would that 180 start? One win.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #69: October 10, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
They fired off high volume, low percentage, desperation shots from the perimeter towards the end of that series, I don't think we dominated.

The Caps/Lighting series is a good comparison too, because even though "we're only down 1", "we're only down 2", etc we were down by so much more than that when you actually watched the games.  That's the problem with this series.  We are 1-2 in this series but that one win was theft and the other two aren't encouraging.

I'm not hoping for ONE win tomorrow, I'm hoping that everything we've seen the past few days is a mirage and we do a 180.  That's not encouraging.

Nice avatar Grizz.   Could it be George Caleb Bingham or Frederick Remington?

Offline grizzly

« Reply #70: October 10, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
But where would that 180 start? One win.

I'm new to baseball, does that sort of thing happen in this sport?  How fast does momentum change?

I saw a stat that showed how "hot" the last few World Series winners were during the month of September and it led me to believe it's a slower build up than other sports.

Offline grizzly

« Reply #71: October 10, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
Nice avatar Grizz.   Could it be George Caleb Bingham or Frederick Remington?

No idea, haha.  I've had it for years, I forgot where I found it.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #72: October 10, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »

Yeah, I totally don't buy the high volume, low percentage perimeter drum Caps fans were beating about that series. Caps out-shot the Habs something like 60 shots to 19 in game 6 - that's absurd - Caps spent the majority of that entire series on offense. Besides, that series was ultimately lost because of a waived off goal for goalie interference that never happened in game 7 - awesome

I said the lightening series because it felt like we were never in it - but that's really not what's happening here.

I dont' think the Nats stole game 1 at all. Nats actually left more runners on base in game 1 than the Cardinals. But the Nats got the big hit when they needed to, made all the big pitches that they needed to.

In these last 2 games, Nats have had endless chances. They've left 30 men on base the last 2 games - Nats are not being out-matched or out-classed, they're simply not executing.

Not making the good pitch when they need to
Not getting the big hit when they need to

It's not like they're not capable.

I still think the Nats are more than able to win the next two games.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #73: October 10, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
No. 

Offline cards12in12

« Reply #74: October 10, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
You going tomorrow? Talk that crap to my face nag.

Your trash cow town franchise's days are numbered.

You must be the forum tough guy. You also couldn't have proven my point anymore then you just did. The cardinals are just doing everything championship teams do. Their hitters, starting pitching, bullpen, and base running have just been better.  The only reason the cardinals had such a bad regular season record is because the bullpen was a mess during the middle of the season. Figure out the 7th, 8th, 9th, add a few young power arms and, well, you see the result.

You're not tough, your team doesn't deserve respect based on one season, and quit thinking about what if we still had Strasburg.