Author Topic: All About Ross D (Merges Dess Rotweiler, Cy Young, Appreciation)  (Read 5079 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
ERA+ at the time of this post is 131, second best on the team to JZ.

3.02 ERA over 104.1 innings. 3.26 ERA, 91 IP, 16 starts, 2.5 K/BB as a starter.  similar numbers as a starter last year over 10 starts.  Not enough innings to qualify for ERA title this year until he pitches again, but he's 14th in ERA among starters with 70+ IP (to capture 71 starters, or 4.5 starters per NL team).  3.48 FIP, 4.02 xFIP as a starter.  WHiP of 1.21, 1.24 as a starter.

Third hardest thrower among starting LHP in the NL.

I started to do something more exhaustive, but I think it is tough to say he has performed worse than the #3 starters on the Reds, the Braves, and the Pirates (even with Wandy).  I'll not even bother with the Giants and just concede the point, but the other above .500 teams (LAD, AZ, St L) have not gotten much better performance.

So, while every 3d start may cause you to shake your head, and he had a rough stretch when he was pulled from the rotation, but, all things considered, Ross looks like a mid-rotation starter on a playoff contender who, for us, is maybe going to get a game a series in the playoffs.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: DDD - Don't Disrespect the Det
« Reply #1: August 04, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
:thumbs:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: August 04, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
He has an invisible WHIP. That's what makes him so good.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #3: August 04, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
I'm sure the next time he gives up a run he will start to get disrespected in the Gameday threads.

He's been a fine pitcher so far this year.  Hopefully he keeps it up.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #4: August 04, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »
The National Det is still young and I think has a higher ceiling than what we're seeing now. With more game experience and more work with McCatty he could turn into quite the gem.

Assuming we don't bring back Edwin after this year, I'd be more than happy with just sliding him up to the 4th spot.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #5: August 04, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »
None of the other starting pitchers have a hold.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: August 04, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »
The National Det

he has a high ceiling.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: August 04, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
3.02 ERA over 104.1 innings. 3.26 ERA, 91 IP, 16 starts, 2.5 K/BB as a starter.  similar numbers as a starter last year over 10 starts.  Not enough innings to qualify for ERA title this year until he pitches again, but he's 14th in ERA among starters with 70+ IP (to capture 71 starters, or 4.5 starters per NL team).  3.48 FIP, 4.02 xFIP as a starter.  WHiP of
He has an invisible WHIP. That's what makes him so good.

That's the spirit!

Fixed in a minute.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: August 04, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »
.274 BABIP

Getting some luck but also has a lot of ground balls (over 50%)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: August 04, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
Pretty sure I have an avatar bet on him vs Jackson

Edit , yep

Well... lets make an avatar bet shall we?

From today forward, May 4, I'll take EJ to have a better ERA, and you take Detwiler. Winner collects at end of season. Sound good?

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26472.75#quickreply

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: August 04, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
Pretty sure I have an avatar bet on him vs Jackson

Edit , yep

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26472.75#quickreply

Thankfully Jackson is still winning, barely. :lol:

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #11: August 04, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
Davey's surprise April move of demoting Lannon and keeping Det. was justified.
That's why he's the mgr.!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: August 04, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
As for the BABIP, he's maintained it for two seasons.  This year, he seems to have swapped a lot of LDs for GBs.  He seems to be throwing a lot of fastballs this year.  I'd be curious about a heat chart, maybe from Brooks.  Is he keeping the ball low, contributing to the GBx?  I know he's cut back on the 2 seemers, so that explanation would not work. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #13: August 05, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
Davey's surprise April move of demoting Lannon and keeping Det. was justified.
That's why he's the mgr.!

But if Lannan could pitch every game we would never lose.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #14: August 05, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
As for the BABIP, he's maintained it for two seasons.  This year, he seems to have swapped a lot of LDs for GBs.  He seems to be throwing a lot of fastballs this year.  I'd be curious about a heat chart, maybe from Brooks.  Is he keeping the ball low, contributing to the GBx?  I know he's cut back on the 2 seemers, so that explanation would not work. 

It's funny, in recent starts I feel det has been unlucky on balls in play, a lot of slow rollers well placed for hits, the stats however don't back my premise.

I think it's great to have a guy like det pitching for us, he's an exceptional #5

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #15: August 05, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
It's funny, in recent starts I feel det has been unlucky on balls in play, a lot of slow rollers well placed for hits, the stats however don't back my premise.

I think it's great to have a guy like det pitching for us, he's an exceptional #5

He's an exceptional #5 because he has #2 type stuff.  That's his ceiling and when that's your #5 guy's ceiling it is hard to overstate how good your pitching staff is.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #16: August 05, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
I just hope our #1 pitches like a #1 today.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Ross Detwiler Cy Young Watch
« Reply #17: August 08, 2012, 03:48:40 AM »
Okay so the title of this thread is a little facetious.  The point is that Ross Detwiler is having an outstanding season.  He now has a 2.99 ERA in 111.1 IP.  In fact, as of this writing Detwiler is 3rd in ERA on a pitching staff in which none of the 5 members of the rotation are out of the top 20 in the National League in that category.  Is it fair to start to ask if Gio Gonzalez is the second best left-handed pitcher in our organization?

EDIT:
FUN FACT:
Did you know that none of the Nationals pitchers is ranked outside of the top 15 in WHIP in the National League?

Jordan Zimmermann - 1.08 (5th)
Stephen Strasburg - 1.13 (10th)
Gio Gonzalez - 1.14 (11th)
Ross Detwiler - 1.18 (14th)
Edwin Jackson - 1.18 (15th)

Offline PC

Re: Ross Detwiler Cy Young Watch
« Reply #18: August 08, 2012, 05:37:12 AM »
Okay so the title of this thread is a little facetious.  The point is that Ross Detwiler is having an outstanding season.  He now has a 2.99 ERA in 111.1 IP.  In fact, as of this writing Detwiler is 3rd in ERA on a pitching staff in which none of the 5 members of the rotation are out of the top 20 in the National League in that category.  Is it fair to start to ask if Gio Gonzalez is the second best left-handed pitcher in our organization?

EDIT:
FUN FACT:
Did you know that none of the Nationals pitchers is ranked outside of the top 15 in WHIP in the National League?

Jordan Zimmermann - 1.08 (5th)
Stephen Strasburg - 1.13 (10th)
Gio Gonzalez - 1.14 (11th)
Ross Detwiler - 1.18 (14th)
Edwin Jackson - 1.18 (15th)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #19: August 08, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »

What does their ERA ranking have to do with them all being top 15 in WHIP?

Offline PC

« Reply #20: August 08, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
What does their ERA ranking have to do with them all being top 15 in WHIP?

I noticed it when I did the sheet.  Their WHIPs are actually all in the top 25 in the majors in addition to being in the top 15 in the NL...also the only team where that is the case.

Their WARs are also all in the top 25 in the NL, again, the only team where that is the case.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #21: August 08, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »
I've been a huge Detwiler fans since midway through last season. Lots of people keep predicting his demise due to peripherals, but the same thing was said after last season and he's still tearing it up this season. He has good stuff and soon enough we'll have to open the bank for him.

Offline houston-nat

I've been a huge Detwiler fans since midway through last season. Lots of people keep predicting his demise due to peripherals, but the same thing was said after last season and he's still tearing it up this season. He has good stuff and soon enough we'll have to open the bank for him.

As Adam Kilgore said yesterday, he's SuperLannan.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Fair enough.

Some guys just play in a way that their peripherals don't match up and it seems like he's that way. Hopefully he never has a clunker like 2010 Lannan.

Offline HalfSmokes

this year Jackson is super lannan- 3.56 era, 4.13 fip