Author Topic: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS  (Read 17023 times)

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Re: The Strasburg Mistake
« Reply #50: October 10, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
Oh good god almighty.

You telling me Strasburg throws a complete game shutout with a home run mixed in?

He could have easily gotten to that 3 run homer in the 2nd and robbed it from the Cardinals.

When you get a guy in scoring position only to have the offense weakly pop out again and again you can't say having one pitcher (who wouldn't of even started this game) would have saved the day.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #51: October 10, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
1. I agree with Rizzo that protecting Strasburg's future is a priority and I feel that it took guts for Rizzo to maintain that position.  Further, Strasburg, himself, was erratic down the stretch.  There's no guarantee he, himself, would have pitched well.  When you think about it, it's lucky Gio wasn't blown out of his game after walking seven batters and Jordan Zimmermann didn't look good either. 

2. The Cardinals, with all their playoff experience, looked much better than we did.  We looked defeated today as early as the 4 to 0 lead.  It seemed to suck the energy out of the players.   I know the spirit of this fan was totally demoralized.

3. We haven't looked too sharp for a few weeks now.

4. You had to know if we lost this Series or any of the other playoffs, every one would start blaming the Strasburg issue and would bring it up all over again.  And, yes, Strasburg's face will be all over the broadcast again tomorrow as it was today.

5. The fact that we're not hitting is just as much to blame as the lack of good pitching.  We left runners galore on the bases almost every inning.  It didn't help to have a bad umpire call which could so easily have been rectified with instant replay - particularly in playoff games.

All in all, we don't seem up to the task although there's a game tomorrow and who knows?

Offline wvuwhat

« Reply #52: October 10, 2012, 08:56:38 PM »
Our bats haven't been there and that wouldn't change even if we threw Strasburg.

Let's save this Strasburg talk for the offseason, when we don't have anything to talk about.

And, let us not forget, this season is still not done.  How about we focus on that...?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #53: October 10, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
I was in Jr High. 

Thanks for your service at a very tough time.

What do you remember about '70 that reminds you of the Nats this year?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #54: October 10, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
yeah i was there and am fuming for the product we are forced to see.

truth... I'm just now starting to mellow out..

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #55: October 10, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
truth... I'm just now starting to mellow out..

not me.

was it cool to see a playoff game?  sure.  for three minutes.  then we were outscored 20-4 in just two games.  PLAYOFF games.  pathetic.

going to be a long offseason if we don't reel off two straight :w:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #56: October 10, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Like I told MDS, I don't want to hear about Strasburg right now. Our team is a bunch of overpaid wusses if they're upset and think they can't win without one player.

Thank God I think they're more worried about the guys in the clubhouse ready to play than the ones not on the active roster.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #57: October 10, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
For Better or Worse the stupid media will consider us the WASHINGTON STRASBURGS instead of the Washington Nationals.  Never mind we have one of the hottest rookies in the National League and a possible Cy Young award winner on the team who outpitched Stras this year.  Never mind we have a shortstop that went, what?  4 for 4 today?  Never mind that except for yesterday, Jordan Zimmermann is healthy for having his innings limited last year.  He wouldn't have been able to go this long into the season.

No it's Strasburg all the time.

No one can know for sure that Strasburg in the Playoffs would = Win.  No one can guarantee that.  Especially with out offense failing.

Gad I'm sick of this.  When you rehab an injury, it doesn't matter what situation you're in.  You follow the Rehab recommended by your doctor.  The season doesn't dictate the rehab, the DOCTOR DOES and those Media Hype Nutjobs don't know that, they are ignoramouses!

Whew.  Thank you!  Now bury this thread!   :rant: :razz: :smh:

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #58: October 10, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
What do you remember about '70 that reminds you of the Nats this year?

Young group just starting to play well that could be a core of several years of winning (Cash, Hebner, Oliver, Ellis, Moose, Luke Walker / Harper, Espi, Desmond, Gio, JZim, Straus)

A couple of well established, stong vets (Clemente, Maz, Stargell / Zim, Werth, Adam)

Good supporting cast (Alley, Sangy, Gusti, Pagan, May / Shark, Tracy, Lombo & Moore, Clip & Storen)

Just a couple of key additions  or break out players from being a team that will compete for 10 yrs (Stennett, Blass, Parker, Tekulve / TBD)

Struggled in 1st playoff series (swept by the Reds / Needed 5 games to beat the Cards!)

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #59: October 10, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
I think its clear they should have went down the same path the Braves went w/ Medlin. Start him in the bullpen, gradually amp up his innings and then have him in the rotation by mid Summer. It's all spilled milk now............The way our rotation has fallen on it's face he might not have made a difference.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #60: October 10, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
Colador, I'd be really interested in a more specific breakdown of who you thought was in the game/not in the game based on what you observed.  If possible.  THanks!

Lannan was... special. I don't remember a game where a player was watching the fans during the game as much as he was today. It's honestly weird to glance at a player and have them staring at you.

There are some players I'm not going to mention although they deserve it for today, but they've been great all season. But to give you an idea of just how wide spread what I saw was, I'll name one right off the bat who's been the best all year. Morse. He looked dejected. Werth looked dejected. Now one thing I'm comparing them to was last week. And I think it is fair to do so. We had sealed the playoffs already. Last Monday was icing, but not a shock. The only shock was if we didn't clench. Morse and Werth were both as full of fire and passion as I have *ever* seen. It sounds crazy, but Morse was actually a little bit scary last week. He had crazy in his eyes, he was so full of "it". Today, it was "Get an AB, go into the dugout."

So instead of calling players out for being dead, it's easier to just say Desmond is the only one who acted like he gave a crap. The dude gets three hits, finally gets an out and he's the only one throwing stuff in the dugout? Uhh...

None of them were standing and watching the game anywhere like they normally do. Lannan was the one standing the most, and thus the one I saw the most. And like I said, he was watching the fans more than the game. Harper is usually intense. Eighth inning he had his hat off, standing around and during the eighth I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 of that inning was at the rails while we were batting and with his back turned to the field.

During the season, I'd often see the SPers standing together chatting during games they didn't pitch. Lannan was the only one I saw, and he's not a starter for the playoffs. I have no idea what they were doing inside the dugout. One of the problems is they weren't watching from the rail. Games players aren't playing in, usually they spend at least a couple innings total watching from there and chatting with each other.

So it's a combination of *not* seeing them, and what I saw on the faces of the ones who played. Every time they came back from an AB or fielding, it was... it was like our roster in 2009. They did not want to be there. Usually they'll acknowledge fans, smile, wave, something, as they come off the field from defense. Usually they'll toss balls up as they come off, or benched players toss to kids during the game. Not today.

I'm not a fan of the word, but there was no "hustle". Most games they'll halfway jog down the dugout steps, but not today. So I can call out a player here and there. But sitting where I sit, you just notice how things usually are. And it had been building all season, culminating in last week where every player's blood ran with fire. Today? Desmond is the only one of the starting eight I'd say was into it. I don't know if they got their asses kicked in St. Louis, partied too much, stressed from press and interviews, if there is some internal conflict we don't know about, or if it's just the old "losing is contagious." But you could have had the SRO tickets and saw what we all did. The players, their lack of interaction with each other, watching from the railings, no "hustle", no smiles, no energy, no frustration. That's the biggest one for me. That's why I give credit to Desmond. Fine, they got beat. Get pissed off when a hit is robbed, you strike out, etc. They didn't. Most of them seemed not to care either way.

And when I can say that about Morse, who has been wild all year... I don't know what happened today, but hopefully tomorrow is "back to normal".

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #61: October 10, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
Our bats haven't been there and that wouldn't change even if we threw Strasburg.

Let's save this Strasburg talk for the offseason, when we don't have anything to talk about.

And, let us not forget, this season is still not done.  How about we focus on that...?

Medlin is not the same as Stras.  Did he have shoulder or Elbow surgery?  Was this his first full season after college and surgery?  In College you only pitch what 40-50 innings.  So his first full season with us he had how many innings before blowing out his arm?  He could blow out a not completely healed arm in one performance and Boom, there goes your pitcher

If we aren't WS Champs, you can bet that the HOT STOVE TALK ALL WINTER LONG will put the blame on shtutting down Strasburg.   .

God how I dred it.  Especially with no Hockey in sight!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #62: October 10, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
karl ravech ‏@karlravechespn
way too much talk about strasburg but the nats created this and having him throw on field pre game exacerbates everyones frustration

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #63: October 10, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
I think its clear they should have went down the same path the Braves went w/ Medlin. Start him in the bullpen, gradually amp up his innings and then have him in the rotation by mid Summer. It's all spilled milk now............The way our rotation has fallen on it's face he might not have made a difference.
And where are the Barves and Medlen now? Right, they are home. Maybe if they started the season with Medlen in the rotation, they'd've won the division....

Offline Displaced Bucco

« Reply #64: October 10, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
And where are the Barves and Medlen now? Right, they are home. Maybe if they started the season with Medlen in the rotation, they'd've won the division....

:clap:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #65: October 10, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
Yeah, the Nats created this mess - right

It's totally their fault that Strasburg got injured and needed Tommy John Surgery

And yeah long tossing is exactly like throwing a 100 mph 4 seam fastball

:roll:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #66: October 10, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
Fantastic post Coladar, thanks.  BTW, wish I had your seats=)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #67: October 10, 2012, 10:07:40 PM »
Rosenthal will be citing "team sources" that say that if Strasburg was active the Nats would've already swept.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #68: October 10, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
The Braves missed the playoffs because of how they used Medlin. They got to the wildcard game, but if he had been pitching from the beginning of the season, they could have won the NL East.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #69: October 10, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
Jordan Zimmermann and Edwin Jackson are supposed to pitch. If either had pitched a strong game...

Offline Displaced Bucco

« Reply #70: October 10, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Jordan Zimmermann and Edwin Jackson are supposed to pitch. If either had pitched an strong little less than average game...

FIFY  But EJ just plain stinks in the post season...not a pressure pitcher

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #71: October 10, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
Like I told MDS, I don't want to hear about Strasburg right now. Our team is a bunch of overpaid wusses if they're upset and think they can't win without one player.

Thank God I think they're more worried about the guys in the clubhouse ready to play than the ones not on the active roster.

Not even that overpaid. LAC, remember?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #72: October 11, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
The guys who have repeatedly bowed out with bases loaded and two outs should be shaved from head to toe and sent to Habitat for Humanity camp for 20 months.

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
« Reply #73: October 11, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
I don't get it... I just don't get it. He pitches, one out of five days...

If a Stasburg win counted for 2 wins (like everyone is acting) than I could see it... but it doesn't.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #74: October 11, 2012, 07:22:54 AM »

If we aren't WS Champs, you can bet that the HOT STOVE TALK ALL WINTER LONG will put the blame on shtutting down Strasburg.   .

God how I dred it. 

I, for one, don't give a crap what the pundits say. Win or lose, I support the decision 100%. It was the right thing to do on many levels.