Author Topic: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS  (Read 17026 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS
« Reply #225: October 16, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
One thing I will say about Stras - he certainly has a flair for the dramatic. The bigger the stage, the better he performs. His debut was ridiculous - and in August (?) when the Braves came to town - he was audacious. Probably his best start since his debut.

Now would he have been physically "able" to bring it for the NLDS since it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was fatigued and really laboring down the stretch ... we'll never know

Still ... if he truly is "Big Game Stras" - I sure as hell like our chances down the road ...

Offline RL04

« Reply #226: October 16, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
We're backing off on merging for now, it's just a waste of time until everyone gets the collapse out of their systems.

This collapse is never going to get out of my system until they win a WS.

I've never forgotten Penn State's Sugar Bowl loss to Alabama and that was 33 years ago!

Though the two PSU championships afterward certainly helped.

And now, of course, I don't give a crap about the Nittany Lions at all.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #227: October 16, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »

pretty much, until we win a playoff series, Gio and Storen will be goats to me, not fair, but that's what happens when the regular season means so little compared to the playoffs

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #228: October 16, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
I think I read somewhere that Stras could'bve give the team about 0.5 more runs. Think Boz said that.

It was quoted in WNFF but it was either Dave Cameron or Carson Cistulli's calculation in Fangraphs (too lazy to track the link). It was the difference in projected run preventions from pitching Stras I think twice, moving det to the bullpen, and replacing a Gio start with a Stras start.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #229: October 16, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
It was quoted in WNFF but it was either Dave Cameron or Carson Cistulli's calculation in Fangraphs (too lazy to track the link). It was the difference in projected run preventions from pitching Stras I think twice, moving det to the bullpen, and replacing a Gio start with a Stras start.

So - one run over the two games he might have pitched.  We got outscored by like 15 runs over the 5 games. 

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #230: October 16, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »
I disagree this is what it means.  The Decision was a question of priorities and the title implies I thought we prioritized the wrong things (long term health over a better chance at a playoff run this year).

I will also say I find many of the analysis about how Stras would have impacted the series laughably simplistic (it's hard to do much mroe than a simplistic analysis, but to then conclude as many did, "See Stras wouldn't have changed anything" is just silly).  Everything is different with Stras on the lineup, and I mean in a butterfly flapping its wings chaos theory type way.  The whole atmosphere of the series is different.

A few more things

1) Even if we stick to simplistic analysis (which to be fair is all the can really be done) If Stras plays, then Detwiler is in the bullpen.  Detwiler in the bullpen G5 could have been the difference. 

2) I was at Game 5, and had the feeling even when we were up 6-0 of this (going to the NLCS) can't really be happening.  Maybe it's being a DC sports fan all these years, but when it comes to sports I think I'm a bit terrified of success.  But another part of it goes back to the atmosphere created by the shutdown.  The atmosphere created was that the playoffs this year were treated as gravy, and I'm just worried in a few years we will really regret that.

3) All this said, there is much more to blame for the series loss then the Stras shutdown.  Storen, Davey, Danny, Edwin and more come to mind for me.  This isn't a thread about that tho, but I just want to be clear

You raise some good points. I still think "Decision" is more appropriate than "Mistake" but like others have said, it's your topic so you should call it as you see it. Either way you look at it, it will be an interesting point of discussion next year when we're the clear favorites instead of the dark horse.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #231: October 16, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »

I've never forgotten Penn State's Sugar Bowl loss to Alabama and that was 33 years ago!

Though the two PSU championships afterward certainly helped.

And now, of course, I don't give a crap about the Nittany Lions at all.

Me too!  '80 Aersp

Offline PC

« Reply #232: October 16, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
No worry.  Stephen was otherwise occupied.

http://usat.ly/Plfz2Y

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #233: October 16, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
No worry.  Stephen was otherwise occupied.

http://usat.ly/Plfz2Y

The freeze frame of his face is creepy as hell...

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #234: May 30, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
bump

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #235: May 30, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
With this bump, we have officially hit rock bottom as a forum tonight.

Offline madj55

« Reply #236: May 30, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »
Mike Rizzo thinking he can outsmart the baseball gods by shutting down Jesus is what led to this dismal performance so far this year. But, on the bright side Strasburg looks great. Too bad the majority of our hitters look like Hellen Keller at the plate.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #237: May 31, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
We need a beating a dead horse icon. :hang: :hang:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #238: May 31, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
We need a beating a dead horse icon. :hang: :hang:

If we had one, what would the rest of your posts be like?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #239: May 31, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
If we had one, what would the rest of your posts be like?

:lmao:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #240: May 31, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
I thought many of you were ok with the shutdown b/c we were guaranteed NL East titles for the next 5 years+.  Now that we are realizing just how difficult having a winning record can be, I'm curious if opinions have changed on the shutdown. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #241: May 31, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »
I thought many of you were ok with the shutdown b/c we were guaranteed NL East titles for the next 5 years+.  Now that we are realizing just how difficult having a winning record can be, I'm curious if opinions have changed on the shutdown. 

No

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #242: May 31, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »

I still agree with the innings limit - it's the poor planning for September and how to use Strasburg that still pisses me off.

Online nfotiu

« Reply #243: May 31, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »
Anyone who watched the games last year would have seen that Strasburg was out of gas by the end of the year anyway.   If they did put him in the playoff rotation, they would still have tried to limit his workload, and would not have set him up to pitch game 1 and 5.  So all he would have done is bumped Detwiler out of the rotation.   And there is nothing he could have done that would have improved on what Detwiler gave us.   We may have lost in 4 with Strasburg.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #244: May 31, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »
I was okay with the shutdown because it was the best thing for Strasburg. Also it was easy to see that he was running on empty at the end of the year.

Offline Optics

« Reply #245: May 31, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
Anyone who watched the games last year would have seen that Strasburg was out of gas by the end of the year anyway.   If they did put him in the playoff rotation, they would still have tried to limit his workload, and would not have set him up to pitch game 1 and 5.  So all he would have done is bumped Detwiler out of the rotation.   And there is nothing he could have done that would have improved on what Detwiler gave us.   We may have lost in 4 with Strasburg.

Agreed 100%. Det would have been out of the rotation and he was the only SP who actually pitched well in the playoffs.

It was the right decision at the time.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #246: May 31, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »

So...

Strasburg could have skipped regular spring training, started up with extended spring training in April and early May, then is ready for September and October.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #247: May 31, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
So...

Strasburg could have skipped regular spring training, started up with extended spring training in April and early May, then is ready for September and October.

That's easy to say in hind sight, but I don't think anyone saw what they did coming.  You couldn't have predicted they would be the best team in baseball coming out of spring training.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #248: May 31, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
At the time Davey said that they shut Stras down one game early due to the media pressure, implying that Stras was wilting under the heat. Without the threat of the shut down and the media scrutiny, who knows how he would have performed.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #249: May 31, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
I was okay with the shutdown because it was the best thing for Strasburg. Also it was easy to see that he was running on empty at the end of the year.

Yeah, I am still ok with it given he medical advice availability and doing the right thing by the player and the long term franchise. Also, saw him fading down the stretch anyway.

Also, given that there are no such things and jinxes, baseball gods, curses, etc. none of that talk is worth considering. Winning it all takes a lot of things to go right. I didn't think they had it in them last year anyway, but you have to decide how much risk you take on. No guarantees of winning divsions every year, but you can do things to put yourself in the position to pull it off. That's a matter of investment. Once in the playoffs, it comes down to some luck and who gets hot at the right time. Last year, Detwiler was the pitcher that made the other starters look like bums. So you never know.