Author Topic: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS  (Read 17028 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: The Strasburg Mistake
« Reply #175: October 14, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
I'm still pissed about the Matt Capps trade.

Storen > Capps

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #176: October 14, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
Storen > Capps
YES BUT "LET'S GO CAPPS" RULES ALL

:metal: :asplode: :whip:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #177: October 14, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
Tommy John had the surgery 10 years into his MLB career and went on to be a soft-tosser. He took 18 months to recover from the surgery before pitching again. Strasburg was back in 12 months.

Tommy John is not the modern model of UCL replacement surgery.  So he wouldn't know much about Strasburg's condition.

Not wrong according to Tommy John... But hell, what would he know?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #178: October 14, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
I've had two hernia operations.  Anyone want me to do the surgery?

PS - I have a hand tremor.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #179: October 14, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
Harold Reynolds and Al Leiter made a point that, while I disagree with it, ought to be considered.

lots of words
This is bullcrap. Stras is still not an ace pitcher in MLB yet. He can't get his innings up to ace levels. 453 strikeouts in 5 innings would not give the bullpen respite. His lack of experience invalidates the point. It's not a knock on Strasburg, he's had the equivalent of around 1 full season of starts.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #180: October 14, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
YES BUT "LET'S GO CAPPS" RULES ALL

:metal: :asplode: :whip:
AMERICA, freak YEAH

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #181: October 14, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Strasburg should have been pitching every 5 days all season period.  Rizzo should be fired over this crap, but the Lerners don't have the guts.
Please add the "jk". You forgot to put it at the end

Offline santanaf

« Reply #182: October 14, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »
Add Strasburg to the postseason starting rotation and we still lose in almost the exact same fashion, only then nobody would be able to blame Rizzo.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #183: October 14, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
I've had two hernia operations.  Anyone want me to do the surgery?

PS - I have a hand tremor.

Irrelevant considering that the doctor has said that there are no medical studies backing up Rizzo's move.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #184: October 14, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
Add Strasburg to the postseason starting rotation and we still lose in almost the exact same fashion, only then nobody would be able to blame Rizzo.

Certainly having Stras pitch guarantees nothing, but we lost the series by a razor thin margin, all it would have taken is an upgrade at one position to have given us the edge.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #185: October 14, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Not wrong according to Tommy John... But hell, what would he know?

The doctor who operated on Strasburg?

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #186: October 15, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
Or a couple of smarter managerial decisions during the game. Seriously, it's the post season. It would have been okay to take the ball out of Gio's hand and given it to Matheus. Or Gonzalez.
Certainly having Stras pitch guarantees nothing, but we lost the series by a razor thin margin, all it would have taken is an upgrade at one position to have given us the edge.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #187: October 15, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Or a couple of smarter managerial decisions during the game. Seriously, it's the post season. It would have been okay to take the ball out of Gio's hand and given it to Matheus. Or Gonzalez.

Or start Lombo/Moore

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #188: October 15, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
So why couldn't Strasburg have been the playoff bullpen ace like David Price was? He probably throws 101-102 in the bullpen and he doesn't blow that lead for us.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #189: October 15, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
So why couldn't Strasburg have been the playoff bullpen ace like David Price was? He probably throws 101-102 in the bullpen and he doesn't blow that lead for us.

or Hellickson would have been

Offline Ray D

« Reply #190: October 15, 2012, 11:43:01 AM »

If only they hadn't shut Strasburg down!!  They could have brought him in to begin the ninth instead of Storen! 

And if he's as effective as his last few starts, he walks the first two batters, the third gets a double, and then they have to relieve him with Storen.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #191: October 15, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
And if he's as effective as his last few starts, he walks the first two batters, the third gets a double, and then they have to relieve him with Storen.

Last few starts as in Strasburg allowed 2 runs or less in 5 of his last 7 starts and allowed 1 run or less in 4 out of 7 starts. Or that in his 2nd to last start he pitched 6 IP, 9 K, 3 H+BB against the Cardinals, you know the same team we faced in the first round. If Strasburg was a reliever, he would have pitched differently than as a starter. Plus during the year, Strasburg had a 2.57 ERA and .563 OPS allowed in the first inning. No reason to believe he wouldn't be as good as Kimbrel out in the bullpen.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #192: October 15, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
I would change this thread title to The Strasburg Decision.  His not pitching had nothing whatsoever to do with the excruciating loss.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #193: October 15, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
I would change this thread title to The Strasburg Decision.  His not pitching had nothing whatsoever to do with the excruciating loss.

wouldn't he have been starting not Gio, and at the very least, he'd be a better option that Jackson out of the pen

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #194: October 15, 2012, 06:25:45 PM »

That's such apologist bullcrap.  I can buy into the argument that shutting down Stras was the best move for his long  term development and therefore the best move long term for the team, I don't agree with this since there is no medical science to back it up, but at least I understand the argument.  The idea that Stras would have had no impact on the outcome of the series is officially on the list of dumbest statements in Nats message board history.  Voluntarily shutting down one of our top performers had nothing whatsoever to do with the series loss???  The logic on this one is absolutely mystifying.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #195: October 15, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »

You've brought up David Price multiple times and each time I've pointed out that the situations are completely different. Price did not throw as many innings as Strasburg. Price was not coming off TJ surgery. Basically, stop being such a troll. However, ignoring Price, I'll answer why this would have been stupid (again):

If you are protecting his arm, you don't send him to the bullpen where he comes in and throws max-max effort every pitch. You saw how J-Zimm came out of the pen -- it's natural to put more behind every pitch when you're only coming in for 5-15 pitches. Anyone who has pitched knows the difference in mentality and execution when you switch from a starter to a reliever. With the increase in effort in mind, the moving Strasburg to the bullpen is dumb for a couple reasons:

• If his mechanics are already breaking down because of the fatigue this year (insinuated by the Nats) you don't want him throwing at a higher level of effort than he normally does.
  • If his mechanics aren't already broken down, a change in role where he's exerting more effort could alter his mechanics, making him more susceptible to injury

There's also zero evidence that Strasburg out of the pen would have been effective. Frankly, he is so easily rattled that I can't believe any Nats fan is painting him as our rock that would have stood up to all the pressure that Drew had to go up against.

If you're concerned about future injury, shut him down when you think you need to. If you are more concerned about this year than injury, then don't half-step -- have him in the rotation, not the bullpen. 

Offline Fan037

« Reply #196: October 15, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »
That's such apologist bullcrap.  I can buy into the argument that shutting down Stras was the best move for his long  term development and therefore the best move long term for the team, I don't agree with this since there is no medical science to back it up, but at least I understand the argument.  The idea that Stras would have had no impact on the outcome of the series is officially on the list of dumbest statements in Nats message board history.  Voluntarily shutting down one of our top performers had nothing whatsoever to do with the series loss???  The logic on this one is absolutely mystifying.

I have stated from the beginning that shutting Strasburg down was in his and management's best interest.  Had he been able to pitch, there's no question he would have had an effect on the outcome......for good, or perhaps, for bad.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #197: October 15, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »

Except The Strasburg "Mistake" implies we would have won if he wasn't shut down. That's impossible to know; he could have crapped the bed as bad as Storen for all we know. Discussion of the topic is fine but the title is very leading as it is. The Strasburg "Decision" is much more appropriate.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #198: October 15, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
Except The Strasburg "Mistake" implies we would have won if he wasn't shut down. That's impossible to know; he could have crapped the bed as bad as Storen for all we know. Discussion of the topic is fine but the title is very leading as it is. The Strasburg "Decision" is much more rational and appropriate.

"sanity"  :clap:

Offline Fan037

« Reply #199: October 15, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
Except The Strasburg "Mistake" implies we would have won if he wasn't shut down. That's impossible to know; he could have crapped the bed as bad as Storen for all we know. Discussion of the topic is fine but the title is very leading as it is. The Strasburg "Decision" is much more appropriate.

Thank you!