Author Topic: Sickels Nats Top 20  (Read 1035 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Sickels Nats Top 20
« Topic Start: January 24, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »
I did not see minor league baseball's Nats top 20 posted elsewhere.  Sickels has since come out with his top 50 hitter / top 50 pitcher list, but I don't have a subscription.  He think there is a big gap between the top 4 (Stras / Norris / Storen / Espinosa) and the rest.  Subsequently, he's downgraded Kobernus to a C+ from a B-.

A few quotes
2) Derek Norris, C, Grade B+: Somewhere on the Mickey Tettleton/Mike Napoli spectrum: high walks, lots of power, defense should be good enough, might not hit for average.
8 ) Justin Maxwell, OF, Grade C+: What you see is what you get: power, walks, speed, low batting average. Can they look past that and appreciate his secondary skills?

9) Ian Desmond, SS, Grade C+: I think he made some legitimate improvements, but not as much as the raw numbers indicate. BABIP probably unsustainable, and he needs to tighten his defense.

10) Bradley Meyers, RHP, Grade C+: One of several strike-throwing types with limited upside but good pitchability.
13) Eury Perez, OF, Grade C+: Need data from higher levels, but could be a Juan Pierre type. I don't mean that as an insult.
The Nationals system has an amazing talent in Strasburg, and I'm also very high on Norris, Storen, and Espinosa. After that, it fades quickly. Hitters like Marrero, Burgess, Maxwell, Desmond, Hood, and Perez all have significant unanswered questions. All could be very good players, all could fail. There are several low-ceiling arms who could contribute in the majors soon (Meyers, Thompson, Estrada, Mandel, Wilkie, Garate), and there is also a group of live arms who have problems that need addressing.

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Sickels Nats Top 20
« Reply #1: January 24, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
this has been posted a while back i believe.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: January 24, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Reading the Kobernus link leads me to think Espinosa is in his top 50 hitter prospects, or just misses.  It looks like it takes B to make the top 50, and Espinosa is a B.  So, 1 - 2 hitters in the top 50 hitters, and 2 pitchers in the top 50 pitchers.  Not bad.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: January 24, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »
this has been posted a while back i believe.

Could not find it in the 2009 minor league thread, the BA top 10 thread, and none of the other threads since 11/18 looked like likely suspects.  Anyway, I'm really interested in the top 50/50.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: January 24, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »
The change in Kobernus probably reflects more research - the other list was from a few weeks ago.

That the Nats are top heavy with little depth in the minors should shock pretty much no one. Looking forward to reading the link at leisure.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: January 24, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »
yea i remember already reading this

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: January 24, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
If Desmond is #9 and Meyers is 10, our farm system is in better shape than I thought.

Offline VladiHondo

« Reply #7: January 26, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
Top 50 placements:
Hitters:
22           Derek Norris     C            Washington Nationals   Grade B+

Pitchers:
1              Stephen Strasburg         RHP       Washington Nationals   Grade A
15           Drew Storen     RHP       Washington Nationals   Grade B+