Author Topic: Danny Espinosa loves 2015 - at least half  (Read 12457 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I must've slept for those two seasons.

Offline aspenbubba

Not so much Zimmerman but I do think Stras is lacking.     Can you get me a plea bargain?

Alford plea works well here.

Offline Optics

Espinosa deserved it. His best season was barely above replacement level. What he's currently doing doesn't negate that.

He's had near 20/20 seasons. Didn't he finish in the top 3 in ROY voting his rookie year too?

Offline nfotiu

He was a very good player 2011 and 2012.  Everyone liked him back then.  He was on a positive trajectory and projecting to be an all star middle infielder.

It is not completely outlandish that 2013/2014 a result of getting hurt, not healing, messing up his form trying to compensate for injury, losing regular playing time, etc. and now he is back on track.  His numbers this year are about where you'd optimistically project him to be if you ignore 2013/14.

It would work out so well for us if he can maintain his offensive form (even with a bit of a correction downwards).  We get a better Short stop than Desmond, and have all that Desmond money to spend somewhere else.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zuck has an article today talking about how Williams will be playing Danny in left because he wants to keep his bat in the lineup.  Amazing turnaround for the guy.  Comeback player of the year?

http://natsinsider.com/2015/06/11/espinosa-forcing-way-into-lineup-possibly-in-left-field/

With a 3-hit performance during Wednesday’s 5-4 win over the Yankees, including his eighth homer of the season, Espinosa raised his batting average to .263, his on-base percentage to .361, his OPS to .842. Remarkably, all three of his hits came from the left side of the plate, while the only two outs he made came while batting right-handed.

Such is the way of things right now. Thanks to a completely revamped swing, Espinosa has completely reversed his fortunes from the previous two seasons. After posting a left-handed slash line of .177/.222/.281 from 2013-14, with a 2 percent home run rate and a 37 percent strikeout rate, he’s now hitting .238/.340/.451 this year, with a 5 percent home run rate and 24 percent strikeout rate.

Online Natsinpwc

Zuck has an article today talking about how Williams will be playing Danny in left because he wants to keep his bat in the lineup.  Amazing turnaround for the guy.  Comeback player of the year?

http://natsinsider.com/2015/06/11/espinosa-forcing-way-into-lineup-possibly-in-left-field/
That's one option. Too bad SS does not seem to be another.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Yep

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'm sorry, but is the best solution to move our best fielding infielder to Left Field?

Offline HalfSmokes

since when is playing time for the nats something a player can earn?

Online Natsinpwc

Of course if Danny can come back when everyone wrote him off that means E-in could do the same.

Offline Truconfidence

I'm sorry, but is the best solution to move our best fielding infielder to Left Field?
This

Offline Optics

I'd rather Escobar or Desi play in LF. Espi is our best glove in the infield, probably best glove on the team(at worst 2nd to Span).

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Espinosa deserved it. His best season was barely above replacement level. What he's currently doing doesn't negate that.

If this is TRDEWH, then it may negate it.  I loved Danny when he first came up, then hated him for his terrible plate discipline, now I love him again.  He certainly can't be any worse than Desmond at this point.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

We have the worst OPS in LF and 1B in the league, so it makes sense to move Danny to LF, or put Danny at SS and put Desmond in LF.

Offline dracnal

We have the worst OPS in LF and 1B in the league, so it makes sense to move Danny to LF, or put Danny at SS and put Desmond in LF a bag containing a wolverine.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
We have the worst OPS in LF and 1B in the league, so it makes sense to move Danny to LF, or put Danny at SS and put Desmond in LF a bag containing a wolverine

It's really sad to see how the Honey Badger has fallen from favor...

Offline madj55

I used to crap on Espi, but quietly root for him so I could still wear his shirsey that I purchased. Glad he's turned it around...so far.

The sooner Ian Desmond is gone the better.

Offline whytev

Of course if Danny can come back when everyone wrote him off that means E-in could do the same.

That's an expensive gamble. He'll never be a bargain, but he could be a bad deal.

Offline Optics

I used to crap on Espi, but quietly root for him so I could still wear his shirsey that I purchased. Glad he's turned it around...so far.

The sooner Ian Desmond is gone the better.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Espi. I'm biased towards our own homegrown guys and have wanted Espi to do well. Its not like he doesnt have talent, and it always seems like he's the ultimate team guy whom everyone in the clubhouse loves.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Danny Espinosa: A tale of redemption

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Smell the Glove!

Offline Dixon Ward

Smell the Glove!

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Nothing more heart-warming than a redemption story. Danny was always one of my favorite players, and I felt bad for him.

Danny Espinosa: A tale of redemption

Offline NatsGirl

I liked how Max acknowledged Danny having to move around all over the diamond and play different positions when asked about Danny's nono saving play, which made it all the more impressive.  He said how Danny's being asked to do a lot and that he takes it all in stride.  Hopefully soon Danny will only have to play shortstop.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Personally, I prefer Danny's defensive utility. Essentially,  he's giving you what Zobrist would have given you without having to trade.  I want Turner or Difo by next May or June at SS.  Espinosa can start there, but use him if any other starter goes down.