Author Topic: Most Influential Current and Past Nats (personal project)  (Read 1982 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You are missing one of the single greatest Expos on that list.  The guy who got me into baseball, Mr. Vladimir Guerrero.
Good point. Vladi made his rep there, so he would be on the list if it were to include Expos.  Beyond that, maybe Steve Rogers?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
How about a separate small section for Expos?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
How about a separate small section for Expos?
I could do that. Really I'm OK with including any D.C.-related franchise, so I guess Expos would count there.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
tough room tonight.

the list starts and ends with Walter Johnson I presume.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Welch.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Welch.

Welch is a nice guy and a fountain of knowledge, but has he really earned the right to be on LO's afgan?    :shrug:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Welch is a nice guy and a fountain of knowledge, but has he really earned the right to be on LO's afgan?    :shrug:
It's a DC baseball afghan, not a WNFF afghan.

Also open to Greys players, forgot about them  :doh:

Offline Ray D

Here are some "influential" Senators, off the top of my head:

Bucky Harris
Mickey Vernon
Jim Lemon
Eddie Yost
   (above were both Senators and Senator managers. Though Yost only one game. )
Roy Sievers
Camilo Pasqual
Sam Rice
Joe Cronin
Clark Griffith

Expansion Senators:
Frank Howard
Dick Bosman
Ed Brinkman
Chuck Hinton

And of course (as several have mentioned) Walter Johnson

I'd omit Killebrew because he had only two meaningful seasons here.

Offline expos1994

Moises Alou if we include Expos.. and Marquis Grissom and Jose Vidro. And of course the others mentioned.
Rusty Staub too!

But the Ultimate National... is Ryan Zimmerman.. the original National. (not counting previous Washington teams)

I Guess if you are making a quilt or whatever and it was a small section. Then maybe just the retired numbers. Which is what? Carter, Dawson, Staub and Raines?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Eagleskins says exclude all Latino players

Exclude all expos players.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Only players?  As the first coach to take a Washington team to the playoffs in like generations, I'd say Davey deserves some love.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
In addition to Walter Johnson,

- Clark Griffith (The Old Fox): he was baseball in Washington from the minute he became manager , about 1913, until he died as owner around 1956.
- The stars from the 20's: Goose Goslin, Sam Rice (both Hall of Famers), Joe Judge;
- Bucky Harris: managed the '24 and '25 teams; returned to manage in the late '30s and again from about '49 - 53.
- Stars from the 30's teams: Buddy Myer, Buddy Lewis, Cecil Travis
- 40s / 50s: Micky Vernon (two-time batting champion), Eddie Yost (compare his walks to strikeouts and be amazed), Pete Runnels (AL batting champ after Calvin Griffith dumped him to Bosox), Roy Sievers (AL home run champ, 1957; RoY in 1948 with the browns...first RoY). The movie "Damn Yankees" uses film of Sievers when it shows Joe Hardy hitting a homer and trotting around the bases.

Killebrew had a couple seasons on the Nats bench because of the bonus rule, and then a season or two bouncing around Chattanooga and some AAA club. He became a full-time force in 1959, when he tied Micky Mantle for AL home run championship, and in 1960 when he hit 30 even though he was injured.

- Frank Howard, Ken McMullen, Eddie Brinkman from the New Senators. Brinkman usually hit about .210, but he was such a great fielder that it didn't matter. McMullen was a team leader a strong hitter, and the best 3B in baseball.

Partly I'm suggesting famous players, but also good players who lasted a long time in Washington...long enough to become identified *as* the Nats or Senators.

Plus two broadcasters:

- Arch MacDonald, radio broadcaster from 1933 - 1956, probably in broadcast wing of the HoF. Popularized the phrase, "Ducks on the pond" for runners on base. (Nats Park has a photo of Arch broadcasting a game from a ticker-tape, ready to bang a gong for a base-hit. Was so popular that the pharmacy [?] from which he broadcast built bleachers so people could watch him work.)

- Bob Wolff: TV broadcaster from 1947 until Calvin Griffith moved the team to Minneapolis. Probably also in the Hall.

And, journalist:

- Shirley Povich. Covered sports for the Post from 1924 until the died in the late '90s. There were others, such as Bob Addie (Post) and Mo Siegel (Daily news), but Povich can cover for all of them.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Manny Acta tipping his cap.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Probably already mentioned, but Frank Robinson?

Offline Ray D

Probably already mentioned, but Frank Robinson?

Exclude all Orioles.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
If we're doing announcers:

"Bang zoom..."

"See you... and caught before the track."

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I could do that. Really I'm OK with including any D.C.-related franchise, so I guess Expos would count there.

Ray D and "welch" suggested Eddie Brinkman.   If you use him, please let me know.   I'd like to forward a picture of the afghan to some folks I know.

Offline Ray D

Ray D and "welch" suggested Eddie Brinkman.   

If you include any expansion Senators, well I suppose Frank Howard would have to come first, but Eddie Brinkman has to be second.

Offline BH34Natural

Now: Harper

Past: Dunn

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Exclude all Orioles.

Oh, he retired a Nat.

(to Orioles fans...)     :poke:       

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Johnny Estrada

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Thanks for everyone who's contributed :) I got a design for the main part of the afghan, and I'll be working on names to include in the background. There's the easy-to-design way and the this-took-a-week-to-design way... not sure which one I'll do yet.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Gotta have Livo.  Still one of my favorite players to don the :w: