Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 33637 times)

Offline DieselTurtle

• All 600 Pounds
Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #350: May 12, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »
I love the "Fire Manny!" crowd.

You guys are funny.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #351: May 12, 2009, 12:30:04 AM »
I love the "Fire Manny!" crowd.

You guys are funny.
Thanks for the insight into the pro-Manny universe.

I was a supporter of Manny and thought his biggest problem was the talent he had, but watching him sit there during the @ Braves series, looking morbidly depressed, while trying to tap out the words "Kill Me" in morse code as our team got hammered along with about six of my Brave fan friends were razzing me for our crappiness as an organization turned me over to the anti-Manny side.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #352: May 12, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »
i'm going to try and reverse the fortune/attitude for a day and be positive, hoping that manny can get us another batch of wins like we got last week. 

let's go nats :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #353: May 12, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
too late for that. 10-20 and still no personnel or roster changes :hang:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #354: May 12, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
too late for that. 10-20 and still no personnel or roster changes :hang:

haha i know.  phil wood bashed the fans again in his column today on masnsports.com.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #355: May 12, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
haha i know.  phil wood bashed the fans again in his column today on masnsports.com.
wow that is pathetic:

Some fans are apparently sure that Manny Acta "accepts" losing, since he doesn't rip his players publicly. In this case, pitcher Daniel Cabrera after Monday's 6-walk outing.

I realize it's the same nitwits over and over again on message boards, but really, it's getting tiresome.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #356: May 12, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »

If he doesn't like the material, perhaps he shouldn't read message boards.  Lord knows I don't read his crap-bag blog.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #357: May 12, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »
What does Manny do well?

Sure he might be stuck with crappy players? But what does he do well that is irreplaceable.  Maybe nobody could do better, but at least firing him makes the players realize they need to get their crap together since they just cost a guy his job

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #359: May 16, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
Not gonna plow through friday night's game thread.  In the 6th, when it came time to pull lannan, I was a little surprised that there was not a double switch with the pitcher leading off the bottom of the 6th.  I thought either Willingham for Kearns (slotting the pitcher 6th) or Cintron / Belliard for Hernandez (7th) would have made sense.  As it was, they burned both Mock and Villone that inning after both inherited runners scored.  I've thought conservation of the bullpen Friday and today would be important in this series (see the posts speculating about call ups for tomorrow in the Colome and the Sunday starter threads).  I guess Manny was thinking the down side of a quick hook for Mock would be he could go long today (as he did), but it might have been good to be able to go longer with Villone.  Perhaps Villone in the 7th against Rollins - Howard, Hanrahan in the 8th against Werth, Ibanez, Feliz and Ruiz, and then Kip to close.  I'm sure Beimel would have been in at some point in the 8th or 9th, though.

Not that this was a firing offense, and I have never been on the firing bandwagon, but if we are keeping a score of negatives on Manny, this was one spot where I think he showed a lack of the foresight you'd expect from a manager.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #360: May 16, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
Can I vote "yes" again?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #361: May 16, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
OK, I've had it. I switched to "Yes". And extend that to Kasten.

« Reply #362: May 17, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »
I'm getting really close to having enough of Acta.

I'm watching Saturday night's game and the Phillies announcers are saying how some big storms are coming. So what does Acta do with Belliard on third and the score 7-5? Sends 2-for-22 Cintron to the plate instead of Dukes or Kearns, either of whom have a better chance to tie the score with one swing.

What is Acta's fasination with Cintron? The guy flat out sucks.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #363: May 17, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »
we could come back and win with a walkoff and i'll still say we should fire manny acta.  he's not a good major league manager.  sure he doesn't have great pieces out there, but he shouldn't fit into the equation.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #364: May 17, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
let's do it.  right now. 

GONE = MANNY!

http://www.truveo.com/South-Park-Change/id/3741152198

Offline LetsGoNats

« Reply #365: May 17, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
No crap.  The guys job is to win and each year the results get worse.  FIRE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't know who could do better, but I do know there is an endless supply of candidates that couldn't do worse.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #366: May 17, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
25 losses and it's only mid may. 

last year on may 17 we were 18-26.

wow.  thanks lerner family you greedy/cheap bastards.  and manny acta you're done.

Offline LetsGoNats

« Reply #367: May 17, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »
Can't stand to watch the post-game presser today.  I'm sure Manny is still encouraged by this 4 game sweep.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #368: May 17, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Can't stand to watch the post-game presser today.  I'm sure Manny is still encouraged by this 4 game sweep.

that guy sucks

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #369: May 17, 2009, 05:35:33 PM »
freak the front office. I can't believe they accept this.

They are giving the fragile Nats fan base a giant FU.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #370: May 17, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »

Maybe Phil Wood is running the organization some how.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #371: May 17, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »

yup.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #372: May 17, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »

yup...been doing that for quite some time now.  Only now it's so obvious, people can't serve the kool-aid anymore.

« Reply #373: May 17, 2009, 06:17:28 PM »
So as with all the "I Hate Rizzo Threads", shouldn't all the "I Hate Lerner Threads" be put together? :lol:

Offline EmpireNat

• Hit 'em Hard
« Reply #374: May 17, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
I know I am probably the kind of fan they care least about (I come after Phillies fans, fans who spend a lot of money and then Nationals fans, in that order), but I won't be bothering to waste my money on going to a game or any merchandise when I visit in late August and I know longer care about staying up for games or even checking the score in the morning.

If there is one thing worse than perennial losing it is the acceptance of perennial losing by people who have the power to change things. If a government is this incompetent,they get voted out, if a player (on any normal franchise) doesn't play up to scratch, he gets cut. If my grades take a dip I'd be whipped into shape. This isn't revolutionary thinking, these are common responses to failure. This doesn't seem to apply for anyone in this organisation.

Lerners, if you want a money making business first, get out of the sports franchise industry. Primarily it is about winning and pleasing fans. Go make money in an industry where that takes precedence.

Acta, you need to go. You have had chances to change things and haven't done. Your job does not appear to be in jeapardy so why aren't you taking this opportunity to raise hell and call people out? You aren't being sacked by virtue of disgraceful performance, so I'm sure ruffling a few feathers and at least telling us you won't accept this losing won't get you canned.

Rizzo, you are one of the few people who can break away from the existing problems. As an acting GM, you can get the job by kissing ass and following the remit of those who have gone before you. As a man and a baseball fan you can win a tremendous amount of respect and no doubt a more lucrative job somewhere else if you make big changes and prove that you are here to win. Do something.

This isn't fair. Someone, somewhere has to change this. This team will not get any better with the current set of people in charge. If it was the team would've shown at least a small amount of improvement. As it is we have followed a historically bad season with an even worse one. Its no wonder nobody goes to watch and nobody but retreads and people with no other options come here.

I'll always be a fan but I no longer dream of watching a game at Nationals Park. I don't care. As far as I am concerned, I am too disillusioned to watch a team look so bad but be so content with it. One fan signing out.