Author Topic: Nats fanbase  (Read 5166 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Nats fanbase
« Topic Start: October 13, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »
I think it's safe to say that we now have one of the best fanbases in baseball.  I'm watching the det-nyy game right now and the loudest the ny fans are getting is almost as loud as we were between innings.  Baseball is back in DC for sure.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: Nats fanbase
« Reply #1: October 13, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
I attended the 3 home games and I personally thought the crowd last night wasn't as active as they were on Thursday. Thursday's crowd was really really exciting. However I will admit we were very very loud and active during the last inning.

But I'm glad to see that, I wish I could watch highlights of the game without feeling like I'm dying from the inside out. I really do want to see how that crowd reacted. I did my part cheering and screaming, believe me.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2: October 13, 2012, 10:46:34 PM »
I attended the 3 home games and I personally thought the crowd last night wasn't as active as they were on Thursday. Thursday's crowd was really really exciting.

I noticed that to, but even friday's noise dwarfs what the have.

Offline miller10

« Reply #3: October 13, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
The Twins, Mariners, A's (insert almost any team) have really loud crowds during the playoffs.  I wouldn't even put us in the top 15 crowd wise unless we can continue to draw as we did the last few weeks of the season all season long over the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Offline madj55

« Reply #4: October 13, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »
Game 4 was something else, definitely one of the loudest games i've ever been to in any sport.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #5: October 13, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »
Best and fair weather are two different ideals in my opinion. Were we loud? Yes. But so were the fans in Oakland. I live in Texas, yet getting a ticket to a game at Nationals Park has only been tough on two occasions. The first game at Nationals Park in 2008 (I had to pony up for Presidential seats to get tickets for my dad and I) and the first playoff game (ended up with individual seats in the PNC Diamond Club section for both of us). I'll be curious to see how packed the park is next year during the dog days of summer if we're battling the Braves for 1st (or worse, vying for a wild card spot). Hopefully, we don't see regression as a team (I could care less if we see it among the fan base). DC has always been a fair weather city for the most part - kinda like Tampa. Win, people show up. Lose... people have better things to do on game day.

Certain players had career years this season (Desmond, LaRoche, Gio, Clippard). Who will step up when these players falter? Will Zimmerman ever put up numbers like an Adrian Beltre - he always gets the hype of a top notch 3B. Or will he still be damaged goods next season after his surgery (which hopefully he will undergo ASAP). Personally, I believe Jordan Zimmermann will carry the rotation next season.

Anyways... the fans will show up for the post season, but I doubt we even sell out Opening Day. Just my take... Count me in though for the MLB package once again. Only way to see the Nats out here in San Antonio.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: October 13, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
Fanbase is still growing.  The atmosphere has significantly improved.  Winning will help that.  We'll see how much next year.  It usually takes a year or so for that to show up in attendance figures.  If they keep winning, they have an opportunity to have a very strong fanbase.  It won't be on the Yankee or Cardinals level, but it can be very good.  Too early to say it's there yet, though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: October 13, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
Anyways... the fans will show up for the post season, but I doubt we even sell out Opening Day. Just my take... Count me in though for the MLB package once again. Only way to see the Nats out here in San Antonio.

I'll be SHOCKED if they don't sell out opening day.  They'll be raising the first flag DC baseball history in 80 years, Strasburg on the mound.  Yeah, that'll sell out.  They'll market the heck out of that thing and they should.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #8: October 13, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
NYY fanbase isn't much. There are those that are fantastic fans but then there are those fans that go to the games because its the thing to do.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: October 13, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
NYY fanbase isn't much. There are those that are fantastic fans but then there are those fans that go to the games because its the thing to do.

NYY fanbase is huge nationally.

Offline GoodOmens

« Reply #10: October 13, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »
I'll be SHOCKED if they don't sell out opening day.  They'll be raising the first flag DC baseball history in 80 years, Strasburg on the mound.  Yeah, that'll sell out.  They'll market the heck out of that thing and they should.

They sell out opening day every year.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #11: October 13, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »

I know that. I should've clarified in my post that I was only referring to the stadium itself. Whenever they are playing elsewhere, that's when you can really hear them. IE Camden Yards.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #12: October 14, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »

If you've ever been to a Yankees home game (or a few as I have) you quickly learn that Yankee fans are really just loud and that's all.  If we sent terp up to try and explain VORP to them they'd probably just throw stuff at him. 

They really aren't a very bright bunch.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: October 14, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
Best and fair weather are two different ideals in my opinion. Were we loud? Yes. But so were the fans in Oakland.

Show me a team that ducks and sells out every game,  the cubs,   but they're a joke.  Teams that aren't good tend to be easy tickets- even fenway (a couple of years ago home to the best baseball fans in the country- isn't sold out anymore. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #14: October 14, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
but I doubt we even sell out Opening Day.

Shirley you jest.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: October 14, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
I am convinced the place will be packed and rocking for Opening Day.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #16: October 14, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Put down the ganja, mane

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #17: October 14, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
[...]but I doubt we even sell out Opening Day.[...]

Nationals home opener attendance, through the years - we've never drawn under 39k for a home opener:

2005 - Thursday 14th April vs Diamondbacks - 43,618
2006 - Tuesday 11th April vs Mers - 40,516
2007 - Monday 2nd April vs Marlins - 40,389*
2008 - Sunday 30th March vs Braves - 39,434*
2009 - Monday 13th April vs Phillies - 40,386
2010 - Monday 5th April vs Phillies - 41,290*
2011 - Thursday 31st March vs Braves - 39,055*
2012 - Thursday 12th April vs Reds - 40,907
2013 - Monday, April Fools Day vs Marlins - TBD

*Also regular season opener (all other seasons we opened on the road)

---

But whatever...great fanbases evolve...they aren't created by just one hot run to the playoffs. Great supporter bases, the kind that'll still put 30k+ into the ballpark for a Tuesday nighter against the Marlins, are built up and nurtured by organisations that continue to work to put a quality product out on the diamond.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #18: October 14, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »

So we're judging the quality of fanbases on how many bandwagon fans they have spread around the country?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: October 14, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
Nationals home opener attendance, through the years - we've never drawn under 39k for a home opener:

2005 - Thursday 14th April vs Diamondbacks - 43,618
2006 - Tuesday 11th April vs Mers - 40,516
2007 - Monday 2nd April vs Marlins - 40,389*
2008 - Sunday 30th March vs Braves - 39,434*
2009 - Monday 13th April vs Phillies - 40,386
2010 - Monday 5th April vs Phillies - 41,290*
2011 - Thursday 31st March vs Braves - 39,055*
2012 - Thursday 12th April vs Reds - 40,907
2013 - Monday, April Fools Day vs Marlins - TBD

*Also regular season opener (all other seasons we opened on the road)

---

But whatever...great fanbases evolve...they aren't created by just one hot run to the playoffs. Great supporter bases, the kind that'll still put 30k+ into the ballpark for a Tuesday nighter against the Marlins, are built up and nurtured by organisations that continue to work to put a quality product out on the diamond.

Interesting that the numbers at RFK and Nats Park were about the same despite RFK having a higher capacity.  2005 and 2008 both had higher numbers of actual attendance but lots of comp seats that didn't count toward the paid attendance.  2006 (or 2007?) had that great sunny day that led to a huge walk up crowd, fantastic tailgating crowd back in those days.  2011 didn't sell out and I think that there must have been about 50% no shows due to the nasty weather.  With an increased STH base and renewed excitement about the team, OD will certainly be a sell out, despite the weekday match-up against a lesser opponent.  Of course game 2 will draw around 16-18K (I'll be there to get my magnet schedule).

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #20: October 14, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
OC, have you seen any numbers on average attendance in 2012 and the increase over last year? I predicted at least a 20% increase over 2011 before the season. And I predict right now at least a 10% increase in 2013. I might even change my prediction to 20% increase if they make certain offseason moves.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #21: October 14, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »
So we're judging the quality of fanbases on how many bandwagon fans they have spread around the country?

Partially, yes.

I really don't get the snobbiness of longtime fans against new fans. And I've been a STH since 2005. The more, the merrier.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: October 14, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »

No.  he said it wasn't very big.  It is.  Didn't comment on their sophistication.  He later clarified what he meant.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #23: October 14, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
Partially, yes.

Well if we're going by simple body count then the Nats will never compete with the likes of the Yankees, and I'm fine with that.  Wearing a fashionable cap or jersey doesn't make one a fan, and the Yankees have an enormous number of "fans" of that caliber and always will.

I think it's too soon to lay claim to being "one of the best" as far as fanbases go, but this series clearly disproves the idea that DC will never support a baseball team.  Like most cities, winning cures all.  Big "duh" there.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: October 14, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
No.  he said it wasn't very big.  It is.  Didn't comment on their sophistication.  He later clarified what he meant.

Hmm, that's not how I read "isn't much" but then I'm assuming it was a drunk post so who knows.

Now I see the clarification post.