Author Topic: Roy Oswalt signs with the Rangers  (Read 537 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Roy Oswalt signs with the Rangers
« Topic Start: May 29, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »
self explanatory

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Roy Oswalt signs with the Rangers
« Reply #1: May 29, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »
Good, glad the Phillies didn't manage to sign him with Halladay out.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #2: May 29, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
Foregone conclusion for a while.  Wonder how long they'll stick him in the minors before they call him up.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: May 29, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
Gee, the best team in baseball wants to sign you, I think you do it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: May 29, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
Neftali Feliz moving back to a late-innings role might be the best consequence of this, for Texas.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: May 29, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
Neftali Feliz moving back to a late-innings role might be the best consequence of this, for Texas.

not for my fantasy team.  Nathan is my only closer!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: May 29, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »
Well, the Vegas bookies won't be stressing too much about that pennant this year. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: May 30, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
You mean to say he's an upgrade from Scott Feldman?

I'll stick my neck out and say that this does not make them a stronger post-season club than last year.  Yu is still the big addition, but he essentially just replaced CJ.  Maybe Yu will be a better playoff guy.  Oswalt is Ogando's replacement in the regular season rotation, but Ogando was terrific until he tired.  Oswalt will be pitching in the "add a run to your ERA" league for the first time coming off an injured and down year, a year older.  He'll help assure they have home field in the AL playoffs, maybe get the Rays or Yankees again, so that is good, too.  Their playoff run probably depends more on how Holland and Harrison are doing this move.  He's a wild card in case Holland - Lewis - Harrison blow up.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #8: May 30, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
Even though I wouldn't have minded slotting him in this move was probable. Thank the gods he is not in the N.L. East.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: May 30, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
Rangers still have huge problems with pitching, last I saw colby lewis was giving up 6-8 runs a game. They are the anti-nats, all hitting, crappy sp.  And Yu looked bad his last time out. I doubt he'll be all that usefull come sept-oct. Watch them deal for another arm before the deadline (wandy?)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: May 30, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »
well, I would not say it was a huge problem before.  They are second in MLB in pitching WAR, behind the Nats, so they must be doing something right.  Their bullpen is incredible right now and can only get stronger when Feliz moves out there.  Their ERA is best in the AL, and their FIP is second in the AL.  They are not giving up homers despite playing in a homer prone park (OK, any ballpark Hamilton, Beltre, Kinsler, Cruz, Murphy, and Moreland play in will be homer prone). 

Lewis, Darvish, Harrison, and Holland all have xFIPs between 3.79 and 3.82.  ERAs vary more, and Lewis is a bit homer prone (park I think was set up for lefty power).  I like Darvish, Lewis, and Holland a bit more because of the Ks and the K/BB.  One of the reasons I don't think Oswalt is a big help for them in the post season is I think those 3 are already very good.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #11: May 30, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
Rangers just gave up TWENTY ONE runs to the Mariners

Unreal

Have the Mariners event scored that many runs in the Month of May?