Author Topic: It's the Breaking Bad thread, nag!  (Read 8912 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: It's the Breaking Bad thread, nag!
« Reply #175: September 08, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #176: September 08, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
Good God! Most season ending cliff-hangers aren't that good.  Who lives?  Walt and?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #177: September 08, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »
Maybe Jesse and some white supremacists

hank and gomey are toast. walt is in the clear. nobody at DEA knows about him besides those two.

walt (and jesse) start cooking for the supremacists (in the czech rep?). house goes into disarray. walt comes back with ricin to kill todd's uncle

i only know how to spell "supremacists" because of the autospell feature, not cuz i talk about it a lot. pretty sure there is a high correlation between those who can spell it and those who are

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #178: September 08, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
I'm not so sure about Hank, I expect that the entire season is built around his battle with Walt.  But certainly six nazis with automatic rifles should be able to take out a couple agents with a pistol and a shotgun.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #179: September 08, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
I'm not so sure about Hank, I expect that the entire season is built around his battle with Walt.  But certainly six nazis with automatic rifles should be able to take out a couple agents with a pistol and a shotgun.

can the supremes afford to let him live? probably easier for them to just kill him and eat him than negotiate

this season has not drawn things out. maybe they just ended that battle with walt and hank. would that leave enough material for three episodes?

if hank lives, what does the battle become? courtroom lawyer drama?

also. months will elapse over the next three episodes because the flashforward has walt with hair

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #180: September 09, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »
Great ending but there is no way those Nazis with automatic rifles, choosing when to open up, would have not killed Hank and Gomez.  It would still have been a great cliffhanger, and I actually thought it was going to be, had they cut to black and you hear all of the gunshots wondering what had happened. 

Excited for next week, as almost always with this show.

Offline sph274

« Reply #181: September 09, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »
yea, i mean, i thought the ending was really lame, considering that there is no way in hell either gomez or hank can live without the show losing a crapload of credibility. If hank somehow lives through that then i have no idea what they are gonna do with the last episodes because they have exited reality and gone into some inane fantasy land. hank and gomez are dead, maybe todd dies, which would kind of be really lame as well, considering that the nazis then need to force walt and jesse to cook again. idk though. they prob give hank one nazi kill as a sendoff, it might be todd, or maybe it is the uncle's weird sidekick.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #182: September 09, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
OMG. What an ending!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #183: September 09, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
yea, i mean, i thought the ending was really lame, considering that there is no way in hell either gomez or hank can live without the show losing a crapload of credibility. If hank somehow lives through that then i have no idea what they are gonna do with the last episodes because they have exited reality and gone into some inane fantasy land. hank and gomez are dead, maybe todd dies, which would kind of be really lame as well, considering that the nazis then need to force walt and jesse to cook again. idk though. they prob give hank one nazi kill as a sendoff, it might be todd, or maybe it is the uncle's weird sidekick.

Gomez is toast, but if most of the gang targeted him first, then Hank has a chance.

Having Todd die does make for an interesting twist as the nazis would need either Jesse or Walt to take over as their cook.

If Hank does get kilt, it would put Walt in revenge mode as his family was to be protected.

With three episodes left, at what point do they flash forward? Next week? In the final episode? At the end of the final episode?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #184: September 09, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #185: September 09, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
With three episodes left, at what point do they flash forward? Next week? In the final episode? At the end of the final episode?
The episode description that was sent out to the media for next week is something like, "Everyone deals with radically changed circumstances." For week 2, "Events set in motion long ago come to pass." So I'd guess next week we jump into flash-forward-land and then see the end of the gunfight in flashbacks, or something.

I think Walt, Todd's uncle, and one of Hank or Jesse survives. But this is gonna be a bloodbath.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #186: September 09, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
The episode description that was sent out to the media for next week is something like, "Everyone deals with radically changed circumstances." For week 2, "Events set in motion long ago come to pass." So I'd guess next week we jump into flash-forward-land and then see the end of the gunfight in flashbacks, or something.

I think Walt, Todd's uncle, and one of Hank or Jesse survives. But this is gonna be a bloodbath.

Everyone will be dealing with radically changed circumstances whether the next episode takes place a year later or directly continues on with the shoot out.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #187: September 09, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
I literally yelled out, "Oh freak you" when the credits rolled.

crap, what a cliffhanger. Probably the most insane cliffhanger I've ever seen for a show I wasn't running through on DVD. Thank god this wasn't a season finale cliffhanger - if I had to wait a year for resolution, I'd be going nuts. That was just insane.

But... Hank's a goner. They've set it up perfectly. And you knew Walt would be getting out of it and the cavalry of Nazis was coming. It explains why they've appeared in bits and pieces throughout with Lydia, setting this up. Hank's told nobody anything, except for the three dudes there. Thus why he told Fat Al (Saul's henchman) not to discuss any details of the case to the guy guarding him.

It's also why they had Hank call his wife - she'll be the only one that knows, and she sure as crap knows when Hank doesn't come home immediately after saying he was waving to Walt, that Walt did it. I really hope, and think it's likely, she's the one that spray painted Heisenberg on the wall in the opener - she's going to go insane losing Hank and knowing Walt did it, but can't do crap about it.

I just hope the spray painting wasn't by the band of neo-nazis, and this sets up a conflict between Walt and them. Me? I hope this frees Walt, gives him his Anakin Skywalker moment where he loses all morality and embraces his inner evil, becoming the true evil mastermind and power player he was always meant to be. I'm just hoping he doesn't turn into a sissy and goes off on a grudge with the nazis, or has them exploit him/blackmail him into doing what they want. Walt needs to become the badass beholden to none that he was always meant to be.

I did notice they showed Jesse opening his car door briefly during the gun battle - I just pray they don't wuss out and write him as getting away miraculously as there's nowhere to go and he'd never realistically not be seen running, even with the distraction of the gun battle. Hey nag, how you like me now, nag? needs a bullet in his nag head post haste, right next to Hank.

If it ain't clear yet, I'm totally rooting for Walt to win the day.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #188: September 09, 2013, 11:53:39 PM »
Holy crap, you want Hank and Jesse to die and Walter to win? I believe they all need to die for narrative/Shakespearean-dramatic reasons, but I like Hank and kind of love poor Jesse.

This show has four great tragic heroes.
Hank's doomed by his pride and incompetence.
Jesse's doomed by his blind trust and impulses.
Walt's doomed by his wild lust for power and infamy.
Skyler's doomed by her greed and complicity.

Oh, and Saul's bodyguard is named Huell. They say his name every episode. Is calling him "Fat Al" supposed to be racist?

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #189: September 11, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #190: September 11, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
My favorite theory for the end of Breaking Bad is you see Huell is still sitting in the safe house wondering when they're gonna let him out.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #191: September 11, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
Better Call Saul - the Breaking Bad prequel is in progress.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #192: September 11, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
In the Talking Bad show after one of the episodes the guy who plays Saul made some kind of mention about a spin-off with his own show.  It would be an interesting thing to ponder.  I can't imagine them being able to recreate the success they've had this far with BB though. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #193: September 11, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
In the Talking Bad show after one of the episodes the guy who plays Saul made some kind of mention about a spin-off with his own show.  It would be an interesting thing to ponder.  I can't imagine them being able to recreate the success they've had this far with BB though. 
It's happening, dude. Not just to ponder.

After months of negotiations that occasionally left fans as ragged as some of the character’s recent combovers, AMC has announced via press release that it's reached a licensing agreement with Sony for a Breaking Bad spinoff centered on Saul Goodman, still tentatively titled Better Call Saul (as though it could be called anything else). That means it’s now one big step closer to getting an actual series order, an announcement that’s surely forthcoming as soon as deals are nailed down with Vince Gilligan, writer-producer Peter Gould, and Bob Odenkirk, and decisions are made about what kind of hairpiece the younger Saul should wear.

For those who were worried that confirmation of a spinoff would be a huge spoiler, don’t worry: As we alluded to, this show will be a prequel series focused on the “evolution” of the Goodman character before he ever got tangled up with Walter White, thus saying nothing either way about the character’s fate on Breaking Bad.

Anyway, we now also know for sure that the show will be one-hour, and not the 30-minute comedy that was occasionally rumored. Though, if Vince Gilligan’s earlier remarks are to be believed, it will be more humorous and less “dark” than Breaking Bad, so maybe horrible things only happen once every three episodes. 
http://www.avclub.com/articles/breaking-bads-prequel-spinoff-about-saul-goodman-i,102769/

Offline Coladar

« Reply #194: September 12, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
Holy crap, you want Hank and Jesse to die and Walter to win? I believe they all need to die for narrative/Shakespearean-dramatic reasons, but I like Hank and kind of love poor Jesse.

This show has four great tragic heroes.
Hank's doomed by his pride and incompetence.
Jesse's doomed by his blind trust and impulses.
Walt's doomed by his wild lust for power and infamy.
Skyler's doomed by her greed and complicity.

Oh, and Saul's bodyguard is named Huell. They say his name every episode. Is calling him "Fat Al" supposed to be racist?

Hell yes I want Walt to win. I cannot forget him being so amazingly screwed by his former colleagues who basically stole his work and made millions off him, while he resorts to teaching high school. The early episodes where the grovelling to the woman partner for money for his medical bills? The lavish party Walt attended that rubbed the fortune in his face? I've been on Walt's side since day one. He is a man the world freaked over endlessly, and thus doesn't owe it anything. Walt ain't been going around killing innocent babies or anything of the sort - his actions have always been understandable, often even just.

Let's not forget either that this all started because he was good as dead and wanted to safeguard his family's future without him. He's done some awful things, but always with reason and to get out of a bind or protect someone he cared about. I'm sorry, but Walt is a good guy that got screwed by the world and ended up getting his revenge - and instead of embracing the power he could have had, he eventually walks away entirely because of his family. Nothing more would have ever come if Hank had left well enough alone.

Jesse can go freak himself. He's a loser nothing that Walt always went out of his way to protect. His betrayal here, he's got a bullet coming to him. If he says "nag" to Walt one more time, I vote he gets shot in the tongue doing a Miley impersonation.

Hank? Screw Hank. Walt is still family. Fine, Walt pulled some shadey ass crap. Got it. He also knows Walt's cancer is back. Going after Walt now only ruins his nephew/niece's lives forever. Their daddy, the Meth kingpin. It destroys his sister-in-law. And it robs them of every dollar Walt made needlessly, just so he can get revenge for his incompetence/blindness? Walt doesn't die, then you go after him, fine. Even that's ridiculous given the family aaspect combined with Walt making clear he was done - Hank even knows for certain that's true.

If Hank were a random DEA agent, then of course I wouldn't be rooting purely for Walt. But he isn't, and the familial connection make his actions utter bullcrap and inexcusable. So I'm absolutely rooting for those two to go downtown, Charlie Brown.

Offline sph274

« Reply #195: September 13, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »
Hell yes I want Walt to win. I cannot forget him being so amazingly screwed by his former colleagues who basically stole his work and made millions off him, while he resorts to teaching high school. The early episodes where the grovelling to the woman partner for money for his medical bills? The lavish party Walt attended that rubbed the fortune in his face? I've been on Walt's side since day one. He is a man the world freaked over endlessly, and thus doesn't owe it anything. Walt ain't been going around killing innocent babies or anything of the sort - his actions have always been understandable, often even just.

Let's not forget either that this all started because he was good as dead and wanted to safeguard his family's future without him. He's done some awful things, but always with reason and to get out of a bind or protect someone he cared about. I'm sorry, but Walt is a good guy that got screwed by the world and ended up getting his revenge - and instead of embracing the power he could have had, he eventually walks away entirely because of his family. Nothing more would have ever come if Hank had left well enough alone.

Jesse can go freak himself. He's a loser nothing that Walt always went out of his way to protect. His betrayal here, he's got a bullet coming to him. If he says "nag" to Walt one more time, I vote he gets shot in the tongue doing a Miley impersonation.

Hank? Screw Hank. Walt is still family. Fine, Walt pulled some shadey ass crap. Got it. He also knows Walt's cancer is back. Going after Walt now only ruins his nephew/niece's lives forever. Their daddy, the Meth kingpin. It destroys his sister-in-law. And it robs them of every dollar Walt made needlessly, just so he can get revenge for his incompetence/blindness? Walt doesn't die, then you go after him, fine. Even that's ridiculous given the family aaspect combined with Walt making clear he was done - Hank even knows for certain that's true.

If Hank were a random DEA agent, then of course I wouldn't be rooting purely for Walt. But he isn't, and the familial connection make his actions utter bullcrap and inexcusable. So I'm absolutely rooting for those two to go downtown, Charlie Brown.

IDK, I would say that Walt has already ruined their family lives by selling meth, killing people, poisoning children etc. And he totally could have just taken the money from his "friends" instead of selling meth, killing people, poisoning children etc. I dont really understand the Hank hate since apprehending criminals is his job, and finding out your brother-in-law by marriage(not even blood related, people get divorced all the time) is a meth kingpin should make you attempt to apprehend said if you are a DEA agent since ignoring said activities is tantamount to corruption, and easily a jail sentence. A decision essentially forced upon him by his psychopathic "family member" who had the money to pay for his cancer treatment months ago, just wanted to make sure his son could buy a mansion and drive overly-priced cars for the rest of his life. freak Walt, he should be in jail. You don't get to live with millions of dollars in drug money just because you promise not to do it anymore.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #196: September 13, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
IDK, I would say that Walt has already ruined their family lives by selling meth, killing people, poisoning children etc. And he totally could have just taken the money from his "friends" instead of selling meth, killing people, poisoning children etc. I dont really understand the Hank hate since apprehending criminals is his job, and finding out your brother-in-law by marriage(not even blood related, people get divorced all the time) is a meth kingpin should make you attempt to apprehend said if you are a DEA agent since ignoring said activities is tantamount to corruption, and easily a jail sentence. A decision essentially forced upon him by his psychopathic "family member" who had the money to pay for his cancer treatment months ago, just wanted to make sure his son could buy a mansion and drive overly-priced cars for the rest of his life. freak Walt, he should be in jail. You don't get to live with millions of dollars in drug money just because you promise not to do it anymore.

I guess it's all a personal viewpoint thing - should he be in jail? freak yeah. His actions have led to horrible things - if, IF, this were the real world, drug kingpin, etc... Hell yeah, jail. But it ain't. We've been with him every step. Because of that, I don't believe he, the character on the TV show, deserves to go to jail. He is a moral man. I'm sorry, but he is. He is an extremely controlled individual - he gets freaking rich as crap, he could be Gus or the Mexican drug guys we saw killed. But he hid it, even from his own family. He did it, just for his family. What's more, he genuinely cared about and loved Jesse - he put himself at risk a hundred times over to save that kid, who he never owed jack crap. Jesus christ, Jesse can't do crap, and Walt let this drug addicted nobody accumulate millions of dollars off his work - you cannot convince me that doesn't show Walt is a good man who got freaked over horribly by life.

If he hadn't been freaked over so badly, I don't believe he would have ever become the evil mastermind Heisenberg. So that gives him leeway for some of the more questionable actions, like distributing a crapload of one of the most destructive drugs on the planet.

I wouldn't have taken that nages money either - she freaked him, stole his work, then lorded it over him. He'd never be free if he'd accepted that money. Honestly, the ruthless evil sonuvanag in me has always been waiting for her to make a final appearance where Walt has her house burned down or something - she's the one that ought to be in jail. This, this is the difference here, and why this show is so amazing - that proves Walt's goodness, imo - he got freaked, his work stolen by little more than a Jesse-type who got rich and left him for broke. When the roles are reversed and Walt is in power and rich, he doesn't screw somebody who doesn't even deserve it to begin with (Jesse), he goes out of his way to protect and share everything. Walt is literally the anti-whatever her name was in every conceivable way - and I see Lydia playing this same role, stealing Walt's work to get rich, and suspect in the end the confrontation will be between those two, with Lydia substituting in some ways for evil chemistry nag from Walt's past.

Now here's my ultimate thing about Walt - yes, he should be in jail in the real world. We all saw the kid on the bike get shot, the result of Walt's actions. But he didn't pull the trigger, he never even ordered him dead - Todd shot him immediately, at which point it was done. The kid he poisoned lived. Gus and all those other evil jerks Walt killed deserved death. As a character who we've witnessed evolve and seen his thought process, I can understand and excuse all Walt's done. A normal person might not - Hank... he's pissed he was too stupid to realize it. This vendetta against Walt, if you think it has anything to do with law and order, we strongly disagree. He's got a bruised ego, that's all - a normal person, knowing what we know Hank knows about Walt, who IS family, I do not believe would or should go after someone like Walt who is done, dying, and did it purely for family to begin with.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #197: September 13, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
Okay, there are matters of opinion and then there are matters of ethics. Coladar, bro, you got me worried about your sanity.

Hell yes I want Walt to win. I cannot forget him being so amazingly screwed by his former colleagues who basically stole his work and made millions off him, while he resorts to teaching high school. The early episodes where the grovelling to the woman partner for money for his medical bills? The lavish party Walt attended that rubbed the fortune in his face? I've been on Walt's side since day one.

So just because bad things happen to somebody, they're allowed to do anything? We don't know what happened with his former colleagues; it seems that he left that company voluntarily, probably because of his pride and anger issues. He didn't want to work with his ex after she left him for a coworker, is my interpretation, but we aren't totally in the know. Anyway, Walt left voluntarily.

Plus, he chose illegal activity voluntarily. Every single thing that's happened to Walt on the show except cancer has been pretty much his choice.

He is a man the world freaked over endlessly, and thus doesn't owe it anything.

Pretty obviously false. We always owe the world basic obligations to decency, goodness, respect for others, and not letting somebody buy a drink on their own birthday. These obligations never change no matter what.

Walt ain't been going around killing innocent babies or anything of the sort - his actions have always been understandable, often even just.

Walt has:
- poisoned a child
- met and made small talk with the child he poisoned, afterwards, while using that child as bait to lure a man to his death
- sent an unarmed woman into his house, when he thought his house had murderous assassins
- killed Mike Ehrmantraut in a fit of rage
While these are understandable in a certain sense (you can figure out why he did them), none of them are "just" or forgivable. They are extraordinary violations of every reasonable ethical code. And there are a hundred other things we could chalk up to Walt, too. He watched Jane die; he kept dragging Jesse away from attempts to reform his life; oh yeah, and he's ruined hundreds, maybe thousands of lives, by cooking meth.

He's done some awful things, but always with reason and to get out of a bind or protect someone he cared about.

No. Many of the reasons Walt does awful things involve
- selfishness
- pride
- arrogance
- ego
Exhibit A: killing Mike.

I'm sorry, but Walt is a good guy that got screwed by the world and ended up getting his revenge - and instead of embracing the power he could have had, he eventually walks away entirely because of his family. Nothing more would have ever come if Hank had left well enough alone.

Wrong again, doubly so. Walt is not a good guy. And do you really think Hank sitting on the toilet is the reason that Lydia and Todd have dragged Walt back into the meth-cooking business? The product would have sucked without Hank and they would have brought Walt back without Hank.

Fine, Walt pulled some shadey ass crap. Got it.

Meth cooking and distribution, numerous murders, accessory to numerous other murders, ordering hitmen to carry out numerous more murders = "shadey ass crap"

Going after Walt now only ruins his nephew/niece's lives forever. Their daddy, the Meth kingpin. It destroys his sister-in-law.

Let's be clear. Walt destroyed his wife. Walt ruined his nephew/niece's lives forever. This is basically a classic Sell Your Soul to the Devil story. And guess what? When you sell your soul, there are negative consequences.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #198: September 13, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I totally agree with you, Houston, but it leaves me wondering why you're pulling for Jesse.  He pulled the trigger on Gale and got into the meth business (i.e. distributed a terrible, community-destroying drug) at an even earlier, less desperate point in life than Walter.  Let's not forget reintroducing Jane to the drugs that put her in that body bag.

I've never really been seduced by the attempts to make him seem sympathetic.  So he loves kids.  Great.  As George Carlin once said: "John Wayne Gacy loved his children."

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #199: September 13, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
What.  The.  What???

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/breaking-bad-shocker-aaron-paul-reveals-three-way-235916329.html

Can't be.  Has to be a red herring.